Episodes/Episode segments

mrhollywood360
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

mrhollywood360

I have several TV series in which the episodes are made up of two or more segments. Emby sees the segments as separate episodes, instead of having the episodes listed as they are on the DVD. Here's an example:5a70d1d5ab1d9_Screenshot_20180130_151225

Help Wanted, Reef Blower, and Tea at the Treedome are all apart of episode 1 on the DVD. Is there a way to tell Emby that the episodes are not separated like this and to tag them accordingly? It's really annoying to fix this manually. 

mrhollywood360

hi, can you show us what the folder structure looks like? thanks !

TV/Series/Season/EpisodeName

Here's some exact filepaths of another series that has this issue as an example:

/mnt/media/Videos/TV/Johnny Bravo/Season 1/01x01 Johnny Bravo + Jungle Boy + Amazon Women.mp4
/mnt/media/Videos/TV/Johnny Bravo/Season 1/01x02 Super Duped + Bungled in the Jungle + Bearly Enough Time.mp4
/mnt/media/Videos/TV/Johnny Bravo/Season 1/01x03 The Sensitive Male + Bravo Dooby-Doo.mp4
/mnt/media/Videos/TV/Johnny Bravo/Season 1/01x04 Date With an Antelope + Did You See a Bull + Cookie Crisis.mp4
/mnt/media/Videos/TV/Johnny Bravo/Season 1/01x05 I Used to Be Funny + My Fair Dork + Twas the Night.mp4
/mnt/media/Videos/TV/Johnny Bravo/Season 1/01x06 Blarney Buddies + Over the Hump + Farrah Fawcett.mp4
/mnt/media/Videos/TV/Johnny Bravo/Season 1/01x07 Hip Hop Flop + Talk to Me + Blanky Hanky Panky.mp4
/mnt/media/Videos/TV/Johnny Bravo/Season 1/01x08 Beach Blanket + The Day the Earth... + Aisle of Mixed-Up Toys.mp4
/mnt/media/Videos/TV/Johnny Bravo/Season 1/01x09 Substitute + Wolf in Chicks Clothing + Intensive Care.mp4
/mnt/media/Videos/TV/Johnny Bravo/Season 1/01x10 Jumbo Johnny + Perfect Gift + Bravo, James Bravo.mp4
/mnt/media/Videos/TV/Johnny Bravo/Season 1/01x11 Going Batty + Berry the Buttler + Red Faced in the White House.mp4
/mnt/media/Videos/TV/Johnny Bravo/Season 1/01x12 The Man Who Cried Clown + Johnny Real Good + Talky Tabitha.mp4
/mnt/media/Videos/TV/Johnny Bravo/Season 1/01x13 Adam West + Under the Big Flop + Donny Osmond.mp4

mrhollywood360

and are they displayed in the order of those episode numbers?

Yes. In the case of Johnny Bravo it would display in Emby as

• Episode 1: Johnny Bravo
  • Episode 2: Jungle Boy
  • Episode 3: Amazon Women
  • Episode 4: Super Duped

​etc...

mrhollywood360

Then that is expected behavior.

Is there a way to make it more like

• Episode 1: Johnny Bravo + Jungle Boy + Amazon Women
  • Episode 2: Super Duped + Bungled in the Jungle + Bearly Enough Time

​etc... Like it is on the DVD? So far I've been manually doing this but it's very annoying and the images for the episodes no longer line up. 

I'm afraid I don't quite understand what you're asking, because what you're asking appears to already match this:

/mnt/media/Videos/TV/Johnny Bravo/Season 1/01x01 Johnny Bravo + Jungle Boy + Amazon Women.mp4
/mnt/media/Videos/TV/Johnny Bravo/Season 1/01x02 Super Duped + Bungled in the Jungle + Bearly Enough Time.mp4

Can you elaborate a little bit more? thanks.

mrhollywood360

I'm afraid I don't quite understand what you're asking, because what you're asking appears to already match this:

Can you elaborate a little bit more? thanks.

Episode 1 is composed of 3 segments: Johnny Bravo, Jungle Boy, and Amazon Women with an opening theme before segment 1 and credits after segment 3. The expected result would be to list episode 1 as an episode containing all these segments. Instead it lists episode 1 as the first segment, pulling the metadata for only this segment (Like in the OP picture). It then lists episode 2 as the second segment (Jungle Boy), even though the second episode is the three segments Super Duped, Bungled in the Jungle, and Bearly Enough Time. This throws off all the episode numbering and metadata.

This is how it looks after it's first added to Emby:

5a70df217793f_Screenshot_20180130_160938

This is how it looks AFTER I've manually gone through and fixed it (the images are still wrong though):

5a70de9d00f62_Screenshot_20180130_160647

• Solution

I see OK. Unfortunately there isn't an easy way to handle this. Both of the current options are going to be cumbersome. The first option being what you are currently doing. The second option being to lock the series which will preserve your names but that also means no internet metadata.

Actually a third option would be to rename the files using multi-episode naming conventions, e.b. 1x01-x03 - you would only do this if they are split into three episodes on tvdb as well.

• Like 1

mrhollywood360

Actually a third option would be to rename the files using multi-episode naming conventions, e.b. 1x01-x03 - you would only do this if they are split into three episodes on tvdb as well.

I didn't know that was a feature. Seems to do exactly what I was looking for, thanks!