4K Videos corrupted

jaldmead

jaldmead

Hi Devs,

I am using Emby on a Nvidia shield, and Emby server on a synology NAS. It plays all videos perfectly EXCEPT 4K content, which all have corruption. I have tested he videos in KODI on the shield and they play fine, so I'm pretty sure nothing is wrong with the actual file.

The file is "Inception"

I sent a debug log approx 10 minutes ago (7:22 Australian eastern standard time)

The name of he Emby see on the server is andrew who is the only user.

The corruption takes the form of either flashing bottom half screen or pixelated so much that nothing can be seen, or both at the same time. I have tested 4 lots of 4K videos and all have the same problem

Appreciate your help

Andrew

jaldmead

Hi

Well I tried that and all hell broke loose.

My synology was went to 80% ram utilisation and was extremely slow. Envy would not play anything a it said there was a network problem. I did this twice to test it and it happened both time, I then switched it back to the auto setting, played the 4k video again, which would now play but of course the corruption was back, but the memory stayed under 50% and I could watch any non 4K videos

Regards,

Andrew

jaldmead

After more searching I suspect it is transcoding the PGS subs, which my nas would not be capable of doing.

I am not watching he movie with subs on though, so how can I turn this of to ensure it does not transcode for subs

Thanks

Andrew

After more searching I suspect it is transcoding the PGS subs, which my nas would not be capable of doing.

I am not watching he movie with subs on though, so how can I turn this of to ensure it does not transcode for subs

Thanks

Andrew

There is a button on the OSD that allows you to select (or turn off) subtitles.  It looks like a little text bubble.

jaldmead

Ah OK I had already been doing that. When the RAM usage went crazy lowering the bit rate I assume that triggered a transcode, This puts us back to the fact that Emby won't play my 4k files.

Can you check my log from the app that I sent, to see if you can find any problems

Thanks

Andrew

CBers

This puts us back to the fact that Emby won't play my 4k files.

@@jaldmead

I don't have any issues playing 4K videos via the Emby ATV app, so could you provide a sample of one of the movies that you're having an issue with please, and I will test it on my Shield TV.

I also cannot reproduce this so a sample would be helpful.

In the log you sent, the item was transcoding but only down to 80mb/s.  There were no obvious issues on the app side.

jaldmead

Hi

Hmmm im not sure how to take a sample out of a 53gb file,  but I will google it and have go on the weekend

Andrew

CBers

Hi

Hmmm im not sure how to take a sample out of a 53gb file, but I will google it and have go on the weekend

Andrew

I think mkvmerge offers that option, but @@FrostByte might know better.

CBers

Hi

I have uploaded a sample. Hope this helps you troubleshoot

Thanks

Andrew

Just downloaded it and although it's only 7s long, it played perfectly.

jaldmead

Hi

Thanks for trying. I gave the sample another go and all I got was a corrupted image.

I had a thought about copying the file , since it's small sample now directly over to the shields internal memory and then getting Emby to play direct from there

Is that possible or does Emby need a server to reference

Andrew

Edited by jaldmead

Hi

Thanks for trying. I gave the sample another go and all I got was a corrupted image.

I had a thought about copying the file , since it's small sample now directly over to the shields internal memory and then getting Emby to play direct from there

Is that possible or does Emby need a server to reference

Andrew

Not sure I understand what you are requesting there but I don't think it is relevant to your problem.

It sounds like it may be an issue with the display or connections involved since neither I nor Cbers could reproduce it.

jaldmead

Hi,

I think I am getting to the root of the problem now. I setup Emby server on my Mac and then played the same file (which resides on a synology was box), and guess what, it plays fine on my Mac. I then tried playing the same file but from the Nvidia shield and the corruption was back.

So this should mean that the Emby server is not the issue, the file is not the issue, but the Emby app on the shield is at fault, or at least is the lowest common demoninator

Let me know what you think

Andrew

This is still what I think :):

It sounds like it may be an issue with the display or connections involved since neither I nor Cbers could reproduce it.

CBers and I both played the sample on a Shield with the same app without issue.  Have you tried changing connections or cables?  Are you sure your HDMI cable is rated for 4K?