Auto-upgrade of plugins

mutu310

mutu310

Hi,

As far as I can tell, plugins are updated only when the Emby Server is restarted. In order to avoid version fragmentation of plugins, may I suggest that when plugins are auto-downloaded, if there are no clients connected and no scheduled tasks running, Emby Server would restart thus successfully installing the latest version of the plugin?

This should already be happening if you have the option to automatically restart for updates selected.

mutu310

This should already be happening if you have the option to automatically restart for updates selected.

As of yesterday I have:

116 unique users with version 2.0.0.7

3 unique users with 1.2.4.26

1 user with 2.0.0.1

1 user with 2.0.0.5

Today (so far) I released 2.0.1.0 for the latest beta and I have:

110 users with version 2.0.0.7

4 users with 2.0.1.0

3 users with 1.2.4.26

2 users with 2.0.0.1

1 user with 2.0.0.5

In particular, there should be no excuse for the 2.0.0.1 and 2.0.0.5 users not to be updated. 2.0.0.1 was released in September and on 26th December version 2.0.0.4 was released, which means that this user hasn't updated the plugin in over a month, and I know that that version is no longer working, but I can't sort of force him/her to upgrade :)

The min required server version could be playing a role for people who are staying on older server versions.

mutu310

@@Luke @@ebr

Versions 2.0.0.1, 2.0.0.4, 2.0.0.5, 2.0.0.6 and 2.0.0.7 all have:

- Version class set to Release

- Supports .NET checked

- Supports .NET Core checked

- Required Server Version set to 3.2.30.2

Yet there are 2 or 3 unique users still on 2.0.0.1 and at least 1 on 2.0.0.5

Then there are 3 on 1.2.4.26 (server version >= 3.0.5911.0 and < 3.2.27.0 [otherwise they would be upgraded to 1.2.4.27])

We'd have to look at their server version and also server log. Maybe they are having a communication failure during the upgrade process. In other words this doesn't sound normal. Thanks.

mutu310

We'd have to look at their server version and also server log. Maybe they are having a communication failure during the upgrade process. In other words this doesn't sound normal. Thanks.

I'm picking up anonymous data so there is no means for me to identify them.

By the way, please introduce a max server version. This stops users installing an old plugin version that is incompatible with their Emby Server version and also should someone disable plugin updates and Emby Server is upgraded to a new version incompatible with the plugin version, he or she should receive a notification and have the plugin disabled. For example, the new beta requires some channel changes. If someone upgrades to the new beta without upgrading the plugins no channel plugin will work.

Edited by mutu310