AppleTV 4K - Automatically Play Dolby Digital 5.1 track if present.

andyblac644

andyblac644

as the only audio format the AppleTV 4K can digitally passthrough is Dolby Digital 5.1, could we we have an option in playblack setting's to allow automatically play this track if exists in media file regardless of tagged default track in file.

ie i have movies that have both TrueHD (track1) and DD 5.1 (track2), Track1 is tagged as default as TrueHD is the preferred track when using amp and media pc, but when playing on AppleTV it transcodes track1 to DD 5.1, but this is just a waste of server resources as DD 5.1 is available on track2, i also have the same for DTS / DTS-HD when track1.

i know we can manually change to track2, but this would be good if it was atomically done for us.

Thanks

Andy.

Edited by andyblac644

This is not a bad idea but I think I'd want this handled in the standard selection logic that occurs on the server end so that all things can be properly taken into account there (like a previous track selection which should override this).

I suppose the app could supply a preferred audio codec to the call it makes to the server and it could take that into account during the selection...