Simplified Log Submission

FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept

It would be nice if all of the client apps (especially Emby Theater and Emby for Android TV) had an option to submit logs that not only included the local logs produced in the last hour but also zipped up and received the logs from the last hour from the server as well as display a unique code on screen to reference the logs that were just uploaded.  Basic flow chart:

​1) User hits "submit logs."

2) App sends a request to Emby Server for submission logs.

3) Emby Server finds the files that contain relevant data, compresses them, and sends them to the app.

4) App receives the logs from the Server, compresses and appends its own logs.

5) The complete log archive is uploaded to Emby's log submission server. The log submission server, upon receipt of the data, replies with a unique code (e.g. ABC123) that identifies this specific submission.

6) The app receives the unique code displaying it on the screen with a message saying "your logs have been received.  Use this code to reference it: <code>"

Whomever encountered the bug can write that down and report it (with details) at their convenience.

Edited by FordGT90Concept
  • Like 1

I've been meaning to add the code idea to the current app log submission but, honestly, I haven't done it because my bet is at least 50% of the people will never read or write it down :).  Getting the other logs is not a bad idea though.

Well currently the server log api requires admin rights so that would be a bit of a problem. You may not want to expose the contents of your server log to non-admin users.

FordGT90Concept

Server log API?  Since Emby saves to the local user directory, any user-mode application should be able to copy/compress the files without admin rights.

In terms of exposing contents...could encrypt it with a random key as well as compress it uploading the key to decrypt to the submission server as well.  Also, for security sake, submissions made a fixed number of days ago (7 or 30...I'd prefer 30) should be purged.  Anyone trying to break into your systems would have to access the encrypted files and the database to get the key to decrypt it.

In either event, it's far more secure than the current system which leaves logs available to the all signed in users to download as they fancy.

Server log API?  Since Emby saves to the local user directory, any user-mode application should be able to copy/compress the files without admin rights.

Not if they are outside your home network.

FordGT90Concept

Good point.  Bandwidth considerations too.

I'd add a setting in Emby Server that's off by default which, when enabled, attaches server logs for remote users.  For local users, it always includes them.  That way access is only granted if the server admin allows it.  If nope, then admin will still have to attach them separately.

Luke's point was that any ability for our apps to access the server logs would have to be via our Server API - which currently exists but requires an admin user account on that server.  If we remove that restriction, now anything accessing the server using the (public) API can now read your logs.

FordGT90Concept

Isn't that already the case once you pass authorization?  No reason why log submission shouldn't be done past authorization as well.  Oh, you mean Emby user accounts, not system accounts...

Isn't that already the case once you pass authorization?  No reason why log submission shouldn't be done past authorization as well.

Yes, but it would only work with an admin user...

FordGT90Concept

That's perfectly fine in my case.  Actually, I think that would be preferable in all cases anyway because there needs to be a dialog/followup about why specifically the logs were submitted and only an admin should have access to the prerequisite information.