Nvidia Shield Direct Play Stutters

bradford

bradford

I am running Emby server on Debian 8, client on Nvidia Shield TV.

I am watching some high def 1080 streams that are direct play supported (Star Trek The Next Generation in the logs). They skip/stutter pretty badly. I tried a BDRip, 47 Ronin, same problem. If I force transcoding, for example, at 15Mb, it works great. 

I've attached all relevant logs that I can think of.

I have gigabit ethernet from server to client, so I doubt it's a speed issue, although the shield has no easy way to test bandwidth. I am monitoring the server, and all resources indicate it isn't bottlenecked there, afaik.

server log.txt

server log 2.txt

Star Trek Remux.txt

Star Trek transcode.txt

Edited by bradford

CBers

Is the Shield TV connected via WiFi or ethernet?

What playback info is displayed in the Android TV app's OSD during playback, in particular the playback method and player in use?

As an aside, my Emby server runs on Windows, but I don't have any issues playing 4K streams in the Android TV app on my Shield TV.

Alright. I've narrowed down to what's causing the issue.

I have both framerate switching and fine tune framerate turned on in Nvidia Shield Emby app settings, When I play a file thats 23.97 hz Emby app sets it to 24.00, if i go into the quality settings and choose the freshrate manually to 23.97 the stuttering/slow motion playback stops..

This is the same with 59.94hz files, it defaults to 60, causing slow mo/stutter, manually changing this fixes it but its not ideal to do this everytime we play a file.

I believe the problem is a bug in the app which makes framerate switching and fine tuning framerate not work correctly. I've tried the file with both settings off (it sets every file to the display refresh rate) which also introduces stuttering because the TV refresh rate doesn't match the file.

I have a Plex server with the same files I tested with, and Plex displays them all playing at the refresh rate of the file (auto refresh rate switching works).

Edited by jl94x4

Report sent

What happened? As described here

23:07PM (UK Time)

Username on the server: JL94x4

Thanks but I want to make sure I'm looking at the proper report.   I don't see that user at that time.  Instead I see a user called, ahem, Plexified :mellow: .

is that it?

• Like 1

Thanks but I want to make sure I'm looking at the proper report.   I don't see that user at that time.  Instead I see a user called, ahem, Plexified :mellow: .

is that it?

Yes, thats it. I thought you needed my login username, but yes, my server user is Plexified. thanks

Okay, then the issue here is that the actual frame rate of the video is 23.809...  Not being able to find that exact rate on your display causes us to round up to 24 and select that one.

I may be able to rename the option to "closest" instead of exact and then try and pick 23.97 in that case.

bradford

hi, have you tried to direct play something of lower bitrate?

Yes, lower bitrate content plays back fine. The sources that have trouble go between 20 and 60Mbps

Is the Shield TV connected via WiFi or ethernet?

What playback info is displayed in the Android TV app's OSD during playback, in particular the playback method and player in use?

As an aside, my Emby server runs on Windows, but I don't have any issues playing 4K streams in the Android TV app on my Shield TV.

Gigabit ethernet. Playback method doesn't say direct, I think it remuxes it. The audio source for TNG is FLAC, maybe that forces a remux? I don't know how to display the player in use or the playback method, but I haven't changed anything in settings from their defaults.

I should clarify about the problem - stuttering is probably the wrong word, but it pauses regularly as if to buffer. It will pause for about 5 seconds, play for 5 seconds, pause again, and so on. 

It obviously looks like a network issue, but I looked at network traffic during that and no network interfaces on the server were saturated. Perhaps disk I/O was hit so much by another process that it couldn't serve up the file from disk fast enough, I didn't think to look at that... and the strange thing is, now the content is playing back smoothly. 

Okay, then the issue here is that the actual frame rate of the video is 23.809...  Not being able to find that exact rate on your display causes us to round up to 24 and select that one.

I may be able to rename the option to "closest" instead of exact and then try and pick 23.97 in that case.

Please test this video with the odd refresh rate with the latest beta version (1.5.38) and see if it picks the rate that works better.