Multi-Version TV Episodes

DrDrrae
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

AdrianW

The tvdb usually lists the additional episode version in Season 0 (Specials) - see 30 Rock for a couple of examples. These then show up adjacent to the other version (East Coast / West Coast in this example).

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
jaketame

It is still planned for the future, thanks.

I understand the need to keep competitors in the dark but is there a way we can understand rough timelines? Maybe it can be a hidden form for Premier users only? Things like this wouldn't effect competition too much.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
RoseySoft

I am having a similar issue.

Unlike East Coast and West Coast Versions, I have two different scenarios That I am Facing.

1.) I have Several Shows that I have Original Aired Version, and an Extended Version.

Star Trek (1863)/Star Trek (1963) S01E01 - The Cage - Original Mixed B/W and Colorized Version.mkv

Star Trek (1963)/Star Trek (1963) S01E01 - The Cage - Fully Colorized Version.mkv

Star Trek (1963)/Star Trek (1964) S01E01 - The Cage - Fully Restored & Remastered Version.mkv

The Above example results in the following:

Episode 1 - The Cage

Episode 1 - The Cage

Episode 1 - The Cage

This then creates the problem of determining Which Version is which. Also you can not run the series with auto-play or you get all 3 versions before going on to Episode 2. I also have a series in which there is intros and outros on some episode. All of which are separate files. But to get Emby to play them in the correct order is another issue.

2.) Also have a series like Doctor Who, Where I have the By Parts Version Of the Episode and a Merged into Title Version.

Doctor Who (1963)/Doctor Who (1963) S02E01 - A Trip to Nowhere Land Part 1.mkv

Doctor Who (1963)/Doctor Who (1963) S02E02 - A Trip To Nowhere Land Part 2.mkv

Doctor Who (1963)/Doctor Who (1963) S02E01E03 - A Trip To Nowhere Land.mkv

Doctor Who (1963)/Doctor Who (1963) S02E03 - Lost In Time.mkv

The above example results in 3 episode in random order, and there is only one version of Episode 3.

Suggestion:

For Example 2: Set 3 Folders Method as Follows:

Doctor Who (1963)/Doctor Who (1963) - Episodes By Part/Doctor Who (1963) S02E01 - A Trip To Nowhere Land Part 1.mkv

Doctor Who (1963)/Doctor Who (1963) - Episodes By Part/Doctor Who (1963) S02E01 - A Trip To Nowhere Land Part 2.mkv

Doctor Who (1963)/Doctor Who (1963) - Episodes By Title/Doctor Who (1963) S02E01E02 - A Trip To Nowhere Land.mkv

Doctor Who (1963)/Doctor Who (1963) - Common Episodes/Doctor Who (1963) S02E03 - Lost In Time.mkv

This Should result in a drop down Menu as follows:

Episodes By Part

Episodes By Title

The common would not import to the menu, for this folder would be used by both versions.

ie.

Episode By Part Would make an internal playlist like The Following:

Episode By Part

> Folder For Parts/S02E01

> Folder For Parts/S02E02

> Common Folder/S02E03

etc....

Episode By Title

> Folder For Titles/S02E01E02

> Common Folder/S02E03

etc...

This would cover all versions and the need to duplicate common episodes and taking HHD space.

I Have many shows That fit ether one of the 2 scenarios, and a few that could even fit both.

daedalus

I am having a similar issue.

Unlike East Coast and West Coast Versions, I have two different scenarios That I am Facing.

1.) I have Several Shows that I have Original Aired Version, and an Extended Version.

Star Trek (1863)/Star Trek (1963) S01E01 - The Cage - Original Mixed B/W and Colorized Version.mkv

Star Trek (1963)/Star Trek (1963) S01E01 - The Cage - Fully Colorized Version.mkv

Star Trek (1963)/Star Trek (1964) S01E01 - The Cage - Fully Restored & Remastered Version.mkv

The Above example results in the following:

Episode 1 - The Cage

Episode 1 - The Cage

Episode 1 - The Cage

This then creates the problem of determining Which Version is which. Also you can not run the series with auto-play or you get all 3 versions before going on to Episode 2. I also have a series in which there is intros and outros on some episode. All of which are separate files. But to get Emby to play them in the correct order is another issue.

with latest beta 4.0, i'm running multi version episodes correctly grouped and showing the full filename in the dropdown menu

post-143-0-22611100-1547106111_thumb.png

i name them by a different version identifier, but that shouldn't matter

Series Name (Year)/Season xx/SxxExx - Name [Version].mkv

the second one, simply having all files in one folder, also shows up correctly here

post-143-0-07954500-1547106422_thumb.jpg

yes this is inconvenient to binge watch, but having "duplicates" results in duplicates

grouping them in some way i think is wrong here, to circumvent this emby would have to tier multiepisode before the first episode and then skip all containing episodes on auto advancing to the next episode

but that would be a bit overkill i think, cause most user won't keep separated and combined episodes for "no reason"

Edited by daedalus

i have same problem in server its now shown like episode in series all episode show in main page 

Hi, I don't quite understand what you're trying to say. Can you please describe this in more detail? thanks.

• 2 months later...

I am having the same sort problem.  I’d like to reframe the question a bit.  With movies there are often several versions: Theatrical Cut, Extended Cut, Directors Cut, 2D, 3D, etc.  Emby already handles the versions, in the same folder, quite well through the naming conventions. 

For Example:

MovieName (2009) - 2D.mkv

MovieName (2009) - 3D.mkv

MovieName (2009) - SD.mkv

MovieName (2009) - HD.mkv

Movie (1981) - Director's Cut, English.mkv

Movie (1981) - Director's Cut, German.mkv

In Emby Theater, when choosing a movie to play, the options after the dash are presented in a dropdown list.  Couldn’t something similar be supported for TV Series?

For example:

S03E09 - Broadcast.mkv

S03E09 - Extended.mkv

That's what we do. We strip off all of the common parts of the beginning of the file names.

It is what you do for Movies.  I may be missing something, but it does not seem to be what is done for TV Series.  I was suggesting applying the same rules...

daedalus

latest beta shows only the identifier for episodes

but @@Luke atm there is something wrong

post-143-0-84071000-1554758677_thumb.png

filenames are:

S15E19 - Abgeschoben [uncut].mkv

S15E19 - Abgeschoben [Cut].mkv

Edited by daedalus

latest beta shows only the identifier for episodes

but @@Luke atm there is something wrong

attachicon.gif1.png

filenames are:

S15E19 - Abgeschoben [uncut].mkv

S15E19 - Abgeschoben [Cut].mkv

That is doing what i said though, right? I mean it's not pretty but it's what i described earlier.