Auto-Split Upload Bandwidth (Adaptive Bitrate Multiple Users) Set Max Upload Not Max User!

Fratopolis

Fratopolis

Please like this if this is something that you would like.

Since a great number of users have more than one user on their setup, would it be possible to implement a feature that we set telling Emby our Max upload speed. Then if only one client is on they get the whole upload set speed (say 6) but if another hops on the adaptive biterate kicks in and splits to 3 each, then 2 each, 1.5 each and so on?

That would be a godsend. At least to me.

Most of the time there is either no one on or just 1 for me so it would be nice not to have to limit a user if no one else is on.

Edited by Fratopolis
  • Like 3

Fratopolis

Currently you can set a max per stream, but yes a total max is a nice idea for the future, thanks.

You would also know when someone else starts streaming when you notice quality go down.

MikePlanet

Nice idea! Actually, I would think it is best to set max total bandwith and let us choose setting for single stream bandwidth between adaptive (which would behave as above mentioned) and a fixed rate (which would deny adding streames, when the total bandwidth is used or would not be sufficient.

Fratopolis

Nice idea! Actually, I would think it is best to set max total bandwith and let us choose setting for single stream bandwidth between adaptive (which would behave as above mentioned) and a fixed rate (which would deny adding streames, when the total bandwidth is used or would not be sufficient.

Nice idea! But baby steps lol, first it has to be approved let not get too crazy. Not sure how hard it would be to implement this or if enough people would want the feature I suggested to make it worth the Emby Teams while. I would assume it would be wanted but for now just help grow awareness to others of the request.

For now I would like the post if you want the feature.

Edited by Fratopolis

I believe something like this would need to go in tandem with other restriction settings like number of logins per user and number of total simultaneous streams for the server.

Otherwise, the above algorithm would potentially incrementally degrade everyone's experience until it was unusable by all :).

Fratopolis

I believe something like this would need to go in tandem with other restriction settings like number of logins per user and number of total simultaneous streams for the server.

Otherwise, the above algorithm would potentially incrementally degrade everyone's experience until it was unusable by all :).

I was just thinking maybe an option for those that have a higher upload it would be nice. Maybe an option on the Playback ---> Streaming page to have an option

Internet streaming bitrate limit (Mbps):

An optional per-stream bitrate limit for all out of network devices. This is useful to prevent devices from requesting a higher bitrate than your internet connection can handle. This may result in increased CPU load on your server in order to transcode videos on the fly to a lower bitrate.

then

Max Internet streaming bitrate limit (Mbps):

(For those with high upload bandwidth) An optional Max-stream bitrate split between all out of network devices. This is useful to give the current out of network devices the max availabe bitrate that your internet connection can handle. This may result in increased CPU load on your server in order to transcode videos on the fly to a lower bitrate, also you may see a slight pause in video when another user connects to adjust bitrate to accomadate the additional user.

This idea was just a thought. If it sucks then it sucks. Either way cannot complain too much as I love EMBY!

Edited by Fratopolis