New Shield TV Questions

Erik

Hello,

I just got a shield TV today, working on figuring it out...

So I have Emby installed and working, but a few issues/questions.

1) Almost everything is being transcoded/streamed. Since the share requires authentication is there a way to have put that into the shield (without using and external player and then the direct path as maybe that is causing this issue. I tried to use the direct paths with VLC, but it wont accept the user/password. works fine from a PC for testing and its a 2012 server on a domain. but DOMAIN;USER and the password just doesn't seem to work. Am i formatting that wrong?

2) Also, when using an external player (VLC) do we loose the ability to use resume points? I get the prompt asking if i want to mark as watched each time?

3) When i leave Emby (back or home button) play something on netflix or other apps and come back to emby, its just a gray or screen and never loads. I am have to force close emby and then re-open. Is that a current bug?

Thanks!

Erik

Edited by Erik

kanipek

1) Almost everything is being transcoded/streamed. Since the share requires authentication is there a way to have put that into the shield (without using and external player and then the direct path as maybe that is causing this issue. I tried to use the direct paths with VLC, but it wont accept the user/password. works fine from a PC for testing and its a 2012 server on a domain. but DOMAIN;USER and the password just doesn't seem to work. Am i formatting that wrong?

I am unsure about your permissions issue, I don't require authentication here - You might try adding everyone read/write as a test

Your transcoding issue could have a number of causes - What format(s) is/are your media files in?  I had some issues with live TV transcoding - some updates to the app and a few settings tweeks solved these issues i think the biggest was turning surround sound off on the Shield, also if you are connecting to bluetooth audio headphones/speaker this will cause that issue, again this was live tv and may or may not help your issue.

Is your shield connected to an a/v receiver?

3) When i leave Emby (back or home button) play something on netflix or other apps and come back to emby, its just a gray or screen and never loads. I am have to force close emby and then re-open. Is that a current bug?

I am not experiencing this issue on my Shield - Did you apply all of the latest updates to the Shield? Are you using the play store version of Emby or the beta? ->https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/24350-android-open-beta-testing

Edited by kanipek

I also have a roku (Thats what the shield was supposed to replace) that plays fine so probably not a permission issue (just thought that when i selected external player and direct path as it kept requesting user.password).

1) The media was MKV (Makemkv discs) and .ts live tv recordings from emby (hdhomerun). It was always direct streaming with internal player, but direct playing with external player (VLC). The shield is just plugged into my TV.

2) All the updates showed done and restarted a couple times to make sure everything was in order. Did it about 4-5 times over several hours of going through apps and learning it. It was odd, but like it just couldn't get back to where i left it and stuck in a gray screen. Stable version.

Thanks,

Direct streaming is what you are going to get out of the app and it will be functionally identical to direct playing.  Was there some sort of playback issue?

Hi,

No, no playback issue, however, i moved to the shield to minimize server load and found that the shield was then using temp files to every playback (TV recordings through emby, makemkv rips,...), this was the reason i was going to move away from the roku (as per all your help in that other thread)...but it got much worse!

So i tried the external play (VLC) and it all direct played without any temp files being constantly written so the internal player, (Don't take this wrong, just an observation) isn't functionally the same.

Thanks,

Erik

CBers

Hi,

No, no playback issue, however, i moved to the shield to minimize server load and found that the shield was then using temp files to every playback (TV recordings through emby, makemkv rips,...), this was the reason i was going to move away from the roku (as per all your help in that other thread)...but it got much worse!

So i tried the external play (VLC) and it all direct played without any temp files being constantly written so the internal player, (Don't take this wrong, just an observation) isn't functionally the same.

Thanks,

Erik

Not sure what your issue is, as I am Direct Streaming high bitrate 4K movies via the ATV app on my Shield.

What is "Max Streaming Bitrate" option set to in the app ?? I have mine on 100Mbits/sec (would like to see a 120Mbits/sec option, that's for another day).

Is the Shield wireless, or wired ??

What version of the app are you running ??

Hi,

@@CBers

Maybe im just not understanding...When you are playing something and its direct streaming, is the server creating temporary files in the transcoding-temp folder? As when i am direct playing, that folder stays empty and when direct streaming i get multiple GBs worth of temporary files in there.

The Shield is hardwired gigabit and using the stable version from the play store (don't have the number in front of me).

All i can compare too is my other devices, so the Roku ultra for example direct plays a file, i try it over on the shield and it doesn't. Same everything else: tv, ethernet wire, etc, i just switch the cables to the Roku to test back and forth. That's whats is confusing me.

Thanks

Edited by Erik

CBers

Maybe im just not understanding...When you are playing something and its direct streaming, is the server creating temporary files in the transcoding-temp folder? As when i am direct playing, that folder stays empty and when direct streaming i get multiple GBs worth of temporary files in there.

The ATV app on the Shield will NEVER Direct Play, it's just not possible.

Direct Streaming is done as a stream from the source via the server and should NOT create any temporary files.

The OSD should show you what it is doing and which player it is using.

Direct/I - direct stream using the Internal Exoplayer

Direct/V - direct streaming using th VLC player

Remux - changing the audio to a compatible stream

Transcode - complete transcode of the source to a compatible stream

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks @ CBers

I'll do a factory reset (to undo anything i may have done...as the ffmpeg log shows .tmp files being created) and ill test it out again.

Edited by Erik

kanipek

I am not trying to open a can of worms, so please don't take it that way, just sharing my experience.

Direct Play is possible from the Shield.

Live TV:

If I am using the Direct Play(Live TV) and use VLC options in the app settings my Shield direct plays without any problem. Channel tuning is fast fast fast using it this way - you can't pause with this setup though, and I have an m3u channel that doesn't work with it either.

It is also going to depend on how your live tv channels are encoded so you may get direct streaming, remux or a full transcode - no matter what settings you are using depending of the encoding if it isn't supported then no direct play.

Live tv for me generates a single .ts when direct playing using the VLC option. Gets deleted when I stop playing the channel.

Recorded Media:

Mine are 100% mp4 with AAC audio - they all direct play without issue -- Again I will repeat if your media is encoded in a way that is not supported you will end up with something other than direct playing -- streaming, remux or transcode.

@@Erik - if the generating of the temp files is causing an issue, or you think it might you can move the location of the temp-transcoding folder-->http://localhost:8096/web/encodingsettings.html

I have surround sound set to off, up mix stereo is set to off (or never)

I have the second version of the Shield Pro - I don't think it makes a difference which version you have but I thought I would throw that out there in case it does.

Again not try to argue, or prove anyone wrong just sharing my experience with the Shield.

post-127390-0-26304200-1516381032_thumb.jpg

post-127390-0-40890700-1516381040_thumb.jpg

Edited by kanipek

Thanks @@kanipek

I do have a dedicated SSD in my server for the transcoding files and it works great, just making things efficient is my goal that's all. Thanks for the other info, ill try it all again tonight.

I am not trying to open a can of worms, so please don't take it that way, just sharing my experience.

Direct Play is possible from the Shield.

Live TV:

If I am using the Direct Play(Live TV) and use VLC options in the app settings my Shield direct plays without any problem. Channel tuning is fast fast fast using it this way - you can't pause with this setup though, and I have an m3u channel that doesn't work with it either.

It is also going to depend on how your live tv channels are encoded so you may get direct streaming, remux or a full transcode - no matter what settings you are using depending of the encoding if it isn't supported then no direct play.

Live tv for me generates a single .ts when direct playing using the VLC option. Gets deleted when I stop playing the channel.

Recorded Media:

Mine are 100% mp4 with AAC audio - they all direct play without issue -- Again I will repeat if your media is encoded in a way that is not supported you will end up with something other than direct playing -- streaming, remux or transcode.

@@Erik - if the generating of the temp files is causing an issue, or you think it might you can move the location of the temp-transcoding folder-->http://localhost:8096/web/encodingsettings.html

I have surround sound set to off, up mix stereo is set to off (or never)

I have the second version of the Shield Pro - I don't think it makes a difference which version you have but I thought I would throw that out there in case it does.

Again not try to argue, or prove anyone wrong just sharing my experience with the Shield.

I don't think the OP is talking about live TV.

kanipek

I agree. Just put it in for reference.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk