Watching 4K UHD Movies

daniel.bmyer

daniel.bmyer

Just wanted to ask a few questions before my new tv arrives on Friday.  From reading another thread it appears keeping my Emby resolution at 1080P would look the sharpest.  If my desktop is at 1080P and I watch a 4k movie, do I need to switch Emby resolution to 4K first?  I'm a little confused on that.  If Emby is set to 1080P will it automatically switch to 4k when watching a 4k movie?  

If I have Emby set to 4k resolution and I watch a 1080P movie, is it then being upconverted to 4K?  

Just trying to figure out how to properly set things up.  I'm going to be going through my Denon Receiver which also supports 4k.

If Emby is set to 1080P will it automatically switch to 4k when watching a 4k movie?  

Yes, if you turn on the auto refresh rate switching feature in the app.

If I have Emby set to 4k resolution and I watch a 1080P movie, is it then being upconverted to 4K?  

You aren't going to set Emby to any resolution but, rather, the Shield device itself.  Regardless, whatever resolution is being fed your TV, if it is a 4k panel the output is always being upconverted to 4k by something.  The only question is by what.  Emby will never do the upconversion.  If you set the Shield to 1080 then the TV will do the upconversion.  If you set the Shield to 4k then the Shield will do it.

What you read was a supposition that your TV is probably better at that upconversion than the Shield.  Whether that is true or not is up to you to decide and then you can set the Shield accordingly.

Does that answer all your questions?

daniel.bmyer

Hi, thanks.  Sorry I guess my wording was off..that's what I get for typing that up before going to bed.

I think you answered my question but I just want to make sure I got it right.  If I set the shield to 1080P, then set Emby to Auto Refresh Rate Switching, if I watch a 4k movie, will Emby switch my Nvidia shield resolution to 4K so my movie is played correctly?  Is that correct?  Then when finished, switch back to 1080P?

I'm just trying trying to figure out how to set up my devices.  

Hi, thanks.  Sorry I guess my wording was off..that's what I get for typing that up before going to bed.

I think you answered my question but I just want to make sure I got it right.  If I set the shield to 1080P, then set Emby to Auto Refresh Rate Switching, if I watch a 4k movie, will Emby switch my Nvidia shield resolution to 4K so my movie is played correctly?  Is that correct?  Then when finished, switch back to 1080P?

I'm just trying trying to figure out how to set up my devices.  

Yes, that is how it will work.

Up to you to decide how you want to set it.  The TVs generally do a better job of upscaling but the rate switching causes a pause before and after playback so pick your trade off.