How to Combine Movie that Spans 2 DVDs?

JulesC
Go to solution Solved by d00zah,

I have "Godfather II", which spans 2 DVDs.  How can I combine the .mp4 files on my Emby Server so the movie "cover art" shows up once and the movie plays together seamlessly...end-to-end?

Thanks for your help.

ryandavidg

I had a couple of movies that were in two parts, but just joined them together using MKVToolnix (feel like I'm recommending this tool all the time these days, but it's very useful for handling video content)

- Add first part using "add source file"

- Right click on that source file in the source file window, choose "append file", then select part two

- Untick any audio streams or subs you don't need, but make sure you keep the main audio track at least.

- Choose "start multiplexing"

The single output file is an MKV, if you really need to stay with MP4 use something like MP4Box to make an MP4. This is different to reencoding using encoding software, which takes a lot longer and loses quality. But note that the above process assumes both parts have been encoded with the same settings and resolution etc, if they are different you'll have to delve into reencoding to combine them.

• Like 3

Deathsquirrel

Just to add to this, if you are ripping from disc ad then reencoding to MP4 it's easiest to rip, combine the parts with MKVtoolnix, and the do your reencode.  That avoids the hassle of your crop on disc 1 not quite matching your crop on disc 2 for example.  I've had that happen.

Rohanaj

I have a bunch of movies that fall into this category, such as the extended versions of the Lord of the Rings films. It works nicely to label the two different files with which part they are:

Lord of the Rings The Fellowship of the Ring (2001) - Part1

Lord of the Rings The Fellowship of the Ring (2001) - Part2

This accomplishes the combination of both files under a single library entry. The one thing I haven’t figured out yet (and, honestly, haven’t spent much time looking for the answer for) is your question on how to make them play seamlessly one into the other. It might just be a setting I haven’t found, but right now when I finish watching Part 1, it takes me back to the movie entry where Part 2 appears under “Additional Parts.” Part 2 starts as soon as I click on it of course, but it would be a bit nicer if it would play back seamlessly.

Edit: I found this other thread, where it sounds like seamless playback for multi-part isn’t part of the functionality right now. While I still think it would be nice, I don’t really have a problem with it not doing that either. I suppose if I cared enough I’d probably just combine the files themselves outside of Emby, but I definitely don’t care enough to worry about that :)

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/46525-multi-part-movie-stacking-update/?hl=%2Bseamless+%2Bplayback&do=findComment&comment=438049

Edited by Rohanaj

I had a couple of movies that were in two parts, but just joined them together using MKVToolnix (feel like I'm recommending this tool all the time these days, but it's very useful for handling video content)

I think, the big problem with joining together ripped files are the subtitles.

If they are not hardcoded into the video but external and/or embedded they probably will not work (at least for the second file), IMHO.

Or does MKVToolnix recalculate the time index?!

Ciao, Alfred

ryandavidg

Because the external/text subtitle files are obviously often different lengths to the video streams (eg: no conversation in the last 30 secs of part 1), I believe that MKVToolnix/mkvmerge binds them to the relevant video tracks. So the second subtitle file will start when the second video segment starts, not when the first subtitle file ends.

In other words, providing the subs are properly synced in the original videos you are joining, the resulting merged file should have properly working subs too. Having said that I can't recall if I've tested that myself so when I get a chance I'll give it a go, as it'll be interesting to see how accurate the final result is.

Burrito78

Combine the files with MKVToolnix and never worry about them again. I tried the CD1/CD2 part but its not working correctly and will lead to even more problems in the future with newer versions/different software.

Thanks for everyone's input.

I've tried adding the 2 .mp4 files to MKVToolNix to merge them into a single .mkv file.  However, it produced the .mkv file, but only the first .mp4 file was in the output file.

I've tried looking for some documentation/tutorials, but no luck in figuring out what steps I may be missing.  Any help would be appreciated.

• Solution
d00zah

I've tried adding the 2 .mp4 files to MKVToolNix to merge them into a single .mkv file.  However, it produced the .mkv file, but only the first .mp4 file was in the output file.

I've tried looking for some documentation/tutorials, but no luck in figuring out what steps I may be missing.  Any help would be appreciated.

At the risk of appearing to advocate for 'the other guys'... this is the 1st tutorial that came up:

https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/178888/howto-joining-multi-part-movies-files-with-mkvtoolnix-gui

Edited by d00zah
  • Like 1

Deathsquirrel

You merged with the wrong setting most likely.  When you drag the second file in and it asks what to do with it choose append.

• Like 1

You merged with the wrong setting most likely.  When you drag the second file in and it asks what to do with it choose append.

Thanks, that was the missing variable.

Appreciate everyone's willingness and assistance...problem solved.

• 1 year later...
Spaceboy

Sorry, I have not used MKVToolNix. I usually combine videos using Joyoshare Video Joiner purchased by my husband. It can support merging files in various format losslessly and convert them to a variety of media formats. But recently, I have been looking for the other program to serve me. Maybe I can have a try with MKVToolNix. Or if anyone knows some better, please recommend to me.

spam much?