Emby vs. Plex Transcoding

strugglez
Go to solution Solved by strugglez,

Yea i think there might be some minor display issues on some devices that have really old rendering engines, like the 2013-2014 era bd players possibly.

arrbee99

Is there a way for me to download this App and switch back to the New Zealand App store?

I saw that someone said No, but have got UK apps for my FireTV from the UK and US and they both work, use a DNS though. Have heard of others who do similar things with, I think, Apple TV.

Doesn't mean it'll work with your device though, or if you even want to try it, just sayin'

• Like 1

FrostByte

I saw that someone said No, but have got UK apps for my FireTV from the UK and US and they both work, use a DNS though. Have heard of others who do similar things with, I think, Apple TV.

Doesn't mean it'll work with your device though, or if you even want to try it, just sayin'

True, I forgot that I had put that into the instructions for region switching.  A DNS or VPN will work. 

• Like 1

strugglez

I don't see how a DNS or VPN would ultimately get around that as DNS just resolves IP's to names and a VPN just masks your IP from being a different geo location. A VPN makes more sense but I believe that regardless, when the the TV/Devices are manually setup to be from a particular country/region, it's hard coding the OS/System to only use a particular IP/area for the App store. It's frustrating as hell. I believe I've tried the VPN method and not had much luck already too because NZ removes half the Apps I sadly want. Ah well.

In terms of the display/bugs on the Emby Theater App, should I report them? Only interface and display functions being somewhat buggy, otherwise playback and transcoding etc have been perfect  I'll upload some photos shortly

In terms of the display/bugs on the Emby Theater App, should I report them?

Yes please, thanks !

FrostByte

@SamES do you think that this is something you could take a look at if you have the chance.  It seems like the app is transcoding at a low bitrate.  Works great in the new Orsay app from the Store, but OP would like to set his region back in order to use local apps

@SamES do you think that this is something you could take a look at if you have the chance.  It seems like the app is transcoding at a low bitrate.  Works great in the new Orsay app from the Store, but OP would like to set his region back in order to use local apps

I'll try and have a quick look

• Like 1

strugglez

Hey guys,

Any chance that this has been fixed? I'm feeling hopeful. I will even make a donation to show my appreciation Haha.

Regards

Strugz

SamES said he will try and have a quick look.

I've made a change to set the MaxWidth when transcoding from 1280 to 1920.  @@strugglez, I can't easily test this, but please check it and let me know if it is any better, and if so, how much better.  We can then decide where we go from there.

• Like 1

strugglez

I've made a change to set the MaxWidth when transcoding from 1280 to 1920.  @@strugglez, I can't easily test this, but please check it and let me know if it is any better, and if so, how much better.  We can then decide where we go from there.

Hi SamES,

I just re-downloaded the app from the same hosted IP address. Is that the correct one to use? Tested it just now with the same content and It may have increased it only very marginally if any at all. I don't believe it has. pixelation still stands out where it doesn't on the official App.

Regards

Strugz

Luke will advise when this has been released, but yes, that should be the right way to update

FrostByte

Hi SamES,

I just re-downloaded the app from the same hosted IP address. Is that the correct one to use? Tested it just now with the same content and It may have increased it only very marginally if any at all. I don't believe it has. pixelation still stands out where it doesn't on the official App.

Regards

Strugz

Check to make sure you have the correct version after Luke gets it ready.  The new version should be 2.2.4 I believe.

I've merged in the pull request but this has always been a community app. I've never handled releasing new versions before so we'll need help from whomever handled 2.2.3. Thanks.

FrostByte

Okay, I see it on GitHub so it can be manually download/installed if needed.  Maybe @cmcg can tell one of us how to move it over to the current IP

strugglez

Hi all,

Okay, I see it on GitHub so it can be manually download/installed if needed.  Maybe @cmcg can tell one of us how to move it over to the current IP

Is this easy enough to do? I have a USB stick available if required. I've never done it before though so may need some guidance.

FrostByte

You can side-load it from USB, but it can only be installed from an IP.  I have IIS set up on my server which is really easy so I usually just install it from my own webserver.  I think Luke got the instructions to update the widget file on .54 now so hopefully soon.  

If you're interested in loading it from your own webserver I have a pinned post here on what to do.  

strugglez

You can side-load it from USB, but it can only be installed from an IP.  I have IIS set up on my server which is really easy so I usually just install it from my own webserver.  I think Luke got the instructions to update the widget file on .54 now so hopefully soon.  

If you're interested in loading it from your own webserver I have a pinned post here on what to do.  

Ooooh, Just checking it out now. The SamyGo Widget Manager looks rather interesting. Is there a widget repository somewhere so I can install other widgets from different App stores? Say like the BBC player and ITV which isn't available in NZ?

Edited by strugglez

FrostByte

Yes, the SamyGo app is pretty good.  In fact that whole forum has lots of cool stuff for Samsung TVs.  I'm not sure about a repository, but if there is one that forum would have some information I'm sure.

strugglez

After looking through the forum, it looks far more complicated than what it looks to be worth for me in my use case. I'll just patiently await for it to be uploaded when it's ready :)

Thanks all for your knowledge and help!

FrostByte

The official way is to load it from IP which you could do from your own IIS webserver if you wish and it's a lot easier than SamyGo's app, or you could just wait for Luke like you said :)  

strugglez

The official way is to load it from IP which you could do from your own IIS webserver if you wish and it's a lot easier than SamyGo's app, or you could just wait for Luke like you said :)

I haven't yet implemented a web server yet, It's on my list of things to do. Do you mind if I connected to yours if you have you have thew version of Emby available?

FrostByte

I have my webserver setup internal only, can't be connected to outside my network.  I just use it to test mostly

There is another option to side-load the app from USB drive while using Emby, but the USB drive will have to be in the TV at all times since the app doesn't actually get installed (runs off the USB drive).

strugglez

Okay, for me to sideload it via USB. What's the steps involved with that. I can do that tonight to see if the changes made fix the issue. Also if you don't mind pointing me to the GitHub.

Edited by strugglez