Audio out of sync with Video

thehinch
Go to solution Solved by thehinch,

thehinch

Hoping someone can help.  The video is getting behind the audio (out of sync). When I pause and restart the video the audio is back in sync.  It doesn't happen immediately. That is, when I start playing the video, the audio and video are in sync, but after several minutes they become out of sync. The video gets behind the audio.  

I've searched the emby forum for hints and tips but with no success.   I played around with video settings in emby theater but had no luck fixing it.   

I've just recently done a fresh install of Windows 10 including Emby Server and Emby Theater and now getting this issue.  I was previously running Windows 7 on my HTPC with Emby Server and Emby Theater and never had this issue. Not sure if this is related but I was running the sharks codecs pack.

My HTPC setup is and I've attached my log file: 

• Nvidia GeForce GT520 video card
  • 8gb (2x4gb) Patriot pgd38g1600elk ram
  • Intel 120gb SSD 330 Series
  • Western Digital WDC WD30EZRX-00M 3TB hard drive
  • Corsair HX650 power supply
  • Intel® Core i3-2120 CPU @ 3.30GHz
  • Asus P8P67 PRO Motherboard

Thanks in advance for your help and Emby is awesome.    

PrincessClevage

Hoping someone can help. The video is getting behind the audio (out of sync). When I pause and restart the video the audio is back in sync. It doesn't happen immediately. That is, when I start playing the video, the audio and video are in sync, but after several minutes they become out of sync. The video gets behind the audio.

I've searched the emby forum for hints and tips but with no success. I played around with video settings in emby theater but had no luck fixing it.

I've just recently done a fresh install of Windows 10 including Emby Server and Emby Theater and now getting this issue. I was previously running Windows 7 on my HTPC with Emby Server and Emby Theater and never had this issue. Not sure if this is related but I was running the sharks codecs pack.

My HTPC setup is and I've attached my log file:

• Nvidia GeForce GT520 video card
  • 8gb (2x4gb) Patriot pgd38g1600elk ram
  • Intel 120gb SSD 330 Series
  • Western Digital WDC WD30EZRX-00M 3TB hard drive
  • Corsair HX650 power supply
  • Intel® Core i3-2120 CPU @ 3.30GHz
  • Asus P8P67 PRO Motherboard
Thanks in advance for your help and Emby is awesome.
I fought with this for a long time. 1st make sure your power setting is set to performance or if you don’t want this setting make min cpu usage =100% in what ever power plan you set. I also went into nvidia control panel and set nvidia to the physic engine (not the auto select setting) Edited by PrincessClevage

thehinch

th

I fought with this for a long time. 1st make sure your power setting is set to performance or if you don’t want this setting make min cpu usage =100% in what ever power plan you set. I also went into nvidia control panel and set nvidia to the physic engine (not the auto select setting)

thanks PrincessClevage, I've made the setting changes you've suggested.  I'll give it a go and report back. 

thehinch

The changes have definitely improved the issue. I got 35mins into a video before the issue returned. Any other thoughts?

ryandavidg

Is it an MP4 file? I ask because I had a couple of MP4 files where this happened, no matter what player I tried. Remuxing to MKV fixed the issue. Just a thought (if it's happening to all your videos then it's obviously a bigger problem).

thehinch

I've returned the video and audio settings to default.  Retested and the audio continues to be out of sync from the video.   The video is behind the audio.   

Not sure if it helps, my HTPC is connected to a Samsung TV via HDMI and the TV is connected to a sonos soundbar.   

thehinch

I've added a audio delay of 300 milliseconds and also checked for dropped frames when the audio starts to become delayed (see attached screen capture).  The audio delay hasn't resolved the issue and no dropped frames are reported.   I'm wondering if I need to rebuild the HTPC again?

5a5c8474292b1_20180115_211012.jpg

Guest asrequested

I have a feeling it has to do with how you've connected your devices. If you disconnect your Sonos, and listen through the tv, does it still happen?

Edited by Doofus
  • Like 1

PrincessClevage

I've added a audio delay of 300 milliseconds and also checked for dropped frames when the audio starts to become delayed (see attached screen capture). The audio delay hasn't resolved the issue and no dropped frames are reported. I'm wondering if I need to rebuild the HTPC again?

5a5c8474292b1_20180115_211012.jpg

I also still experience this some times and I I have am betting that your emby server and emby client are one and the same?

If you have another hardware device connect it and seperate server and client as a test, I’m betting the audio issues will go away

But it’s strange I can play fine through another software client that runs on emby server fine with no audio issues but combine ET and emby server on a mid to low end hardware and audio issues (server resources do not show excessive strain).

Another thing to check is that you have latest nvidia driver which usually contains updated nvidia audio driver.

What OS do you run? Try playing a know problem file on your emby server using the default media player to see if you get any audio slip ( I’m betting none)

Another point I should add is that I was recently force to perform a reinstall of emby server and reconfigure of all plugins and library’s after changing to beta and back to stable (I learn the hard way not to do this) and since doing this audio drive has been Much less noticeable combined with power and gpu physic settings

Edited by PrincessClevage

thehinch

Thanks Doofus, Luke and Princess Clevage.  I'll try those ideas in the order suggested.   Its odd that my hardware hasn't changed only the software (Windows 7 > Windows 10) and I've introduced an audio sync issue.

@@PrincessClevage - you're correct I run Emby Server and Emby Theater on the same hardware.  I have another hardware device (android tv box with emby android app) on my network and I'll try playing media through that and see if the same issue occurs.       

thehinch

@ you were right.  I disconnected the Sonos playbar, played the media through the TV, and no audio sync issue.  Now for the million dollar question....What can I do to remove the audio sync whilst playing through the Sonos playbar? 

thehinch

I have a Samsung UHD TV (7000 series) and I found a sound delay adjustment that I lowered to zero and it appears to have resolved the issue the Sonos Playbar is in sync! I'll monitor a few more media files to be 100% sure.  

Guest asrequested

I wondered if the TV had a setting, for that. Personally, I would never daisy chain the audio. But I'm a bit of a puritan.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Solution
thehinch

Hi All, I wanted to circle back to give you an update on this issue I reported which I've now successfully resolved.  Even after all the config changes that you suggested I was still getting the audio delay.  I subsequently found that windows 10 itself wasn't behaving normally so i decided to re-image the machine and start again with a clean install of the OS, Emby Server and Emby Theater.  The result being no more audio delay. Yippeee  

So not sure what it was that was causing the issue but after all your help I thought I would at least report back on what I did that resolved the issue.  

I now have another issue, that after emby theater launches, I need to click once on the interface with the mouse pointer to make it active before I can control it via my logitech universal remote, but I'll raise that in its own thread.    

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Hi i have the same problem, i watch a movie and it gets out of sync after idk between 10 and 30minutes.. then i rewind the movie for some seconds and its sync again.. and after 10-30minutes out of sync again and so on and so on

i use a logitech sound system connected with optical cable with my computer.

Emby Server and client is my computer.

What can i do? I dont want to reinstall windows 10 oO...

I use Version 3.6.0.58 beta and the Movie is a .avi file, atm i not tried .mkv files

Edited by mckay