How’s Emby on lower-cost Android boxes?

ShoutingMan

snorkel

I totally agree on the MI Box issues, hardware wise it's a nice little unit. Build quality is nice as well.

My MI Box works pretty good now after I did a factory reset, Emby works just fine.  Only issue I have with it now is 

some minor stutter issues on Amazon Prime, Netfilx works fine as does Hulu.  Oh and the remote lost it's pair once.

You can extract the Amazon APK from a Shield if you have one and it works on the MI Box.

Would be nice if  Xiaomi ulocked the boot loader so  ROM could be made.

• Like 1

I have a mibox that I purchased from Wally World. It isn’t bad, but not nearly as good as ET or KODI on a PC. My primary complaint is that it doesn’t support HT40 width 2.4 GHz WiFi, and has no gigabit NIC.

That said I purchased a ROCK64 board similar to RPI. Key differences are that it has

1. X64 bit processing

2. Mali450 dual core GPU (site says they support 4K60P video)

3. Built in gigabit NIC

4. built in IR

5. No built in WiFi.

6. EMMC Support

7. Uses 3.5mm jack for power.

8. Can be purchased with greater than 1 GB RAM.

I purchased mine with 4GB RAM. I also picked up a POE interface, case and CPU cooler. I should be able to load android 7, or Linux on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jdiesel

That would be a nice little box to run Libraelec on

I disagree, I wouldn't touch anything Rockchip with a ten foot pole. We are just now starting so see a somewhat functional LibreELEC build for the ROCK64 after a year on the market and it is done by a volunteer developer, if he loses interest in it you are SOL.

https://forum.libreelec.tv/thread/10566-libreelec-leia-community-build-for-rockchip/?pageNo=1

Also worth mention almost all project boards running Android will be limited to 480p on streaming apps like Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, etc. 

Edited by Jdiesel

• 1 month later...
JRUDMAN

I have a M8s Android box which playing Emby perfectly up until February. It chokes on most of mkv files ok with smaller mpeg4 but it never use to have this problem before. Has anybody else had this issue. The version I installed from playstore is 2.9.90 Updated Feb 25 2018. I have a premier account and run a server off a PC in my room. The laptop runs sweet as but its the M8s which struggles to play on my TV. I have reverted back to KODI.  If this doesn't get sorted I will pull my subscription and look for another app

I have a M8s Android box which playing Emby perfectly up until February. It chokes on most of mkv files ok with smaller mpeg4 but it never use to have this problem before. Has anybody else had this issue. The version I installed from playstore is 2.9.90 Updated Feb 25 2018. I have a premier account and run a server off a PC in my room. The laptop runs sweet as but its the M8s which struggles to play on my TV. I have reverted back to KODI.  If this doesn't get sorted I will pull my subscription and look for another app

Hi.  Sounds like you are running the mobile app and, perhaps, the new mpv player is struggling on your hardware.

I would post here: Emby for Android libmpv testing

RanmaCanada

Head over to freaktab and look for the xannytech firmware post and basically grab anything that is listed to work with their firmware.  You'll be more than happy as it takes the Chinese crap box and fixes all the horrible problems that the stock firmwares come with and replaces it with a beautiful custom firmware that flies and has no issues.  You can't go wrong with a $50 Chinese box with Xannytech firmware.

deallier

Hi

i have setup lots of box's

the best cheap box i have found is the Beelink GT1 Ultimate

the next one is the Beelink A1

and if you want really cheap  the amlogic x96

all work really well with Emby  

add a Rii Mini i7 Wireless air mouse

and your away

• 2 weeks later...
Jdiesel

What Android devices support the Android TV app? I have a user trying to connect with a Minix Neo X8-H Plus and the Appstore says it is not compatible.

Jdiesel

What Android devices support the Android TV app? I have a user trying to connect with a Minix Neo X8-H Plus and the Appstore says it is not compatible.

clarkss12

Mecool M8S Pro L with Bluetooth Voice Remote comes with the Android TV OS stock.  It supports Widevine Level 1 with HDCP 1.x, that means Netflix in 4k.  Comes with 3 gig Ram and 32 gig of memory.  Watch Freaktab and ether Gearbest or Geekbuying have it on sale for $65 USD, quite often.   

Edited by clarkss12

CBers

Nvidia Shield TV

Nexus Player

Xiaomi Box 3

Amazon Fire TV and Fire Stick

Android TV's

I'm sure I've missed some.

• Like 1

Jennice

Feedback to those I asked about android box recomendations earlier: I ended up buying (partially just to test it out) the Nvidia Shield. You folks are right. It rocks for Emby!

• Like 1

CBers

Figured it out, looks like the X8-H Plus runs Android 4.4 so its a no go

I would recommend the Nvidia Shield TV to everyone.

Expensive yes, but it just works.

Jdiesel

I would recommend the Nvidia Shield TV to everyone.

Expensive yes, but it just works.

Yeah I would agree. In this case I was just trying to help out a friend who wanted to watch some NCAA hockey. He said he had an Android box so I was going to hook him up but it isn't compatible with the Emby TV app and the mobile app is throwing a "No available streams" error. Unfortunately the Smart TV app for Samsung TVs isn't available in Canada yet so he will have to settle for watching it on his phone. Still better than nothing  :D

clarkss12

Can he install LibreELEC on his box, then use the Emby addon??  His Minix box is powerful and he can install LibreELEC

on a SD or microSD card and not touch his Android OS.