Can't Connect Remotely

justinds89
Go to solution Solved by justinds89,

justinds89

I have restarted my router numerous times, but not the machine Emby is on as I haven't had the chance.

Let me try that and if it doesn't work at least we can rule it out.

It's still showing the port is not open.

ryandavidg

Have you tried port forwarding with a different port? (I once had an ISP block some ports for "security reasons", until I got it adjusted, might be worth testing the router with a different one to see if that works)

justinds89

Have you tried port forwarding with a different port? (I once had an ISP block some ports for "security reasons", until I got it adjusted, might be worth testing the router with a different one to see if that works)

Hmm, I didn't really consider this yet.

You are stating to just forward some random port to see if my router is functioning properly and then going form there right?

justinds89

I tried port 32400 and still shows that it's not open. I don't really understand what could be wrong as there isn't really any way to setup port forwarding wrong as long as I got the right IP and port number.

Maybe the router is fine but it is being blocked by the firewall on your server machine. are you able to connect from other devices inside your network?

justinds89

Do you have any software firewalls?

I had Windows firewall, but I completely disabled it just to make sure it was not interfering.

justinds89

Maybe the router is fine but it is being blocked by the firewall on your server machine. are you able to connect from other devices inside your network?

Yes all devices internally work great. I have disabled the software firewall (Windows Firewall) to make sure it was not being blocked by that.

Guest asrequested

I had Windows firewall, but I completely disabled it just to make sure it was not interfering.

Disabling it doesn't always take it out of the equation. It's best to make sure it's configured, correctly.

justinds89

Disabling it doesn't always take it out of the equation. It's best to make sure it's configured, correctly.

There is rules in place to allow Emby, but I disabled it entirely when it wasn't working to try to make sure that there wasn't something there causing problems.

justinds89

What modem do you have?

Pace Plc 5268AC, but it is for AT&T U-Verse. I logged into it and it looks like it blocks all unwanted network traffic through it's own firewall. Do I need to allow port 8096 for my routers IP address?

Guest asrequested

Yeah I was wondering. The Comcast router firewall, blocks, too. Can you disable it? That's what I did when I had a Comcast router. Or you could forward the port through that, too

Edited by Doofus

justinds89

Yeah I was wondering. The Comcast router firewall, blocks, too. Can you disable it? That's what I did when I had a Comcast router. Or you could forward the port through that, too

I should be able to. I can check in about 20 minutes as I don't have the access code handy.

If not should I forward the port in the modem to the router or the Emby server?

It seems like I should forward the port to the router and then the router would forward to the Server.

mastrmind11

100% of routers will allow port 21 and 443, so if 8096 doesn't work, as a test just forward either of those temporarily to your internal IP:Port and try from outside.  ISPs are generally jerks, so in reality you should be able to forward any non-standard port to a real port internally.  I had this issue long ago w/ Optimum.  It's not a problem w/ FiOS fortunately, but in the end just reidrecting 443 w/ SSL via nginx locally solves pretty much any ISP issue from pretty much any ISP.

• Solution
justinds89

Got it working! I ended up adding a rule in my modems firewall to forward port 8096 to the router. I then had a rule setup in my router to forward port 8096 to my server.

All works well now.

Thanks everyone.

• Like 1

justinds89

Not a problem. Thought I would give an update to all that helped and so if others ran into similar problems it may help them out.

• 10 months later...
Riley424

hello, I know this is an old thread, but I'm having problems connecting to remote access. The firewall inbound rules embyserver.exe shows private.is that the reason I cant connect? I tried the port forwarding on my router, but I'm not sure if I did it right.

hello, I know this is an old thread, but I'm having problems connecting to remote access. The firewall inbound rules embyserver.exe shows private.is that the reason I cant connect? I tried the port forwarding on my router, but I'm not sure if I did it right.

Hi.  You have to get the port forwarding right for this to work and "right" is dependent on your particular network.

Connectivity

Riley424

Hi.  You have to get the port forwarding right for this to work and "right" is dependent on your particular network.

Connectivity

on my sagemcom router, I set the port forwarding,

and add rules manually

Protocol as TCP-UDP 

on external host I add the remote wan access IP and external port: 8096

on internal host I add the In home lan access IP  and  internal port: 8096

so i dont know if i did it right. thank you for the reply.