ScaleType or fitWidth/fitHeight for images

sonicsound

sonicsound

Hi, 

I'd like to be able to render photos at a fixed size center cropped. Currently, setting both Width & Height with an image request causes the aspect ratio to be adjusted. It would be awesome to be able to pass a scaleType=centerCrop (or equivalent) param to specify that the aspect ratio be maintained, and the image cropped to fit the dimensions.

Alternatively, if there was a way to specify fitWidth/fitHeight params that ensure that both dimensions are at least as large as the specified dimensions (minimally), then the cropping could be done on the client.

Thanks!

sonicsound

Hey,

using MaxWidth/MaxHeight in this case would require knowing the aspect ratio of the image upfront. 

ex.

Original = 1600x800

Target = 400x400

requesting MaxWidth=400&MaxHeight=400 results in 400x200 image, but the desired behavior would be to return 800x400 so that the image can be cropped without quality loss.

Since photos can include a combination of landscape and portrait orientation, I can't specify only MaxWidth either

Right, I'm only mentioning it because as of today that's the closest thing we have to what you're looking for, thanks.

Since photos can include a combination of landscape and portrait orientation, I can't specify only MaxWidth either

You could use MaxHeight though...

sonicsound

... that would have the same issue. The problem is that you need to know the original aspect ratio before loading the image with the currently available options.

FYI emby apps do not always have that information and they are able to show images using maxwidth/maxheight without loss of aspect ratio.