Seek while still recording doesn't work

bshaf
Go to solution Solved by snorkel,

I recorded the golden globes tonight since i knew i wasn't going to be home when they started. I started watching the recording while the show was still on. The issue was if i tried to seek (like to skip commercials) it would start me at the beginning of the recording. If i tried to seek backword i would get an error that says "unable to seek". Needless to say the wife wasn't too impressed...

Seeking works great on all my recordings as long as it isn't actively recording the show i'm trying to use the seek function.

Do i need to change a setting for this to work? As i was hunting around the forums it appears this feature was added back in April 2017 so I'm guessing it should work.

This issues exists on the public release and the current beta (i tested on both).

• 2 weeks later...
snorkel

I recorded the golden globes tonight since i knew i wasn't going to be home when they started. I started watching the recording while the show was still on. The issue was if i tried to seek (like to skip commercials) it would start me at the beginning of the recording. If i tried to seek backword i would get an error that says "unable to seek". Needless to say the wife wasn't too impressed...

Seeking works great on all my recordings as long as it isn't actively recording the show i'm trying to use the seek function.

Do i need to change a setting for this to work? As i was hunting around the forums it appears this feature was added back in April 2017 so I'm guessing it should work.

This issues exists on the public release and the current beta (i tested on both).

I can verify this, happens on all in progress recordings on all the clients I have tried.

I'm using the Linux server on ubuntu 16.04.

If you try and skip ahead it restarts to the beginning.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I can verify this, happens on all in progress recordings on all the clients I have tried.

I'm using the Linux server on ubuntu 16.04.

If you try and skip ahead it restarts to the beginning.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Hi.  Are these internal Emby recordings or through a plug-in?

• Solution
snorkel

Internal, I found out what the issue is, it's the option to transcode to a friendly format on the fly.  If I uncheck that the seek works while a recording is in progress.

i'm on the latest non beta Linux build on Ubuntu if that matters.

Edited by snorkel
  • Like 1

Sounds like we also need to tell the app it isn't supported so we don't send them back to the beginning when they try.

snorkel

Yes, or maybe also add a option to each series recording to do the on the fly transcoding so you could have that set for show you are unlikely to watch while in progress. Having the recording already transcoded was extremely nice except for the fact you could not fast forward or rewind.

• Like 1