HEIC photo support?

pir8radio

On 7/25/2020 at 5:09 PM, bohosh said:

Any news about HEIC photos? Still don't see them in my photo library...

It's still not supported by the graphics library that we're using, but we're following it.

MBSki
Just now, Luke said:

It's still not supported by the graphics library that we're using, but we're following it.

Has there been any ETA from that particular graphics library? Years seems to be a long time not to support a standard image format.

• 2 months later...
FredrikE
On 3/10/2020 at 12:11 AM, Luke said:

That's fantastic news. So the next thing is the SkiaSharp library will have to update to milestone 78:

https://github.com/mono/SkiaSharp

It is currently on 68.

So now the latest releases are using milestone 80 since beginning of July. Is it possible to support HEIC then?

• Like 1

Well we have updated, but i tested and it's still not supported. We may have to look at other options at some point.

• 3 months later...
MBSki
On 10/24/2020 at 1:35 PM, Luke said:

Well we have updated, but i tested and it's still not supported. We may have to look at other options at some point.

Luke, any news on HEIC support? 

• 1 month later...

It's on the to do list of our package developer to explore building an heic library and see if skia picks it up for use. There's very little documentation about it but I saw a developer comment that suggested it might be possible.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
speedingcheetah

Was hoping to be able to use Emby as a front end to view my  my iPhone photos from pCloud that the phone uploads them to , since their app and web browser  does not support viewing or showing thumbnails of HEIC at all....but alas, neither does Emby  (or Plex it seems) which I find extremely odd, since i read that HEIC, a far better format for images, has been the default on Apple devices for many years. 

Stupid iphone does not have the separate settings for camera (images) and Video.

I want HEVC video files, but High Efficiency mode locks Images into HEIC, and changing it to compatible, then makes images .jpg, but then uses h264 for videos. Forcing HDR videos does give me HEVC, but, I do not have any HDR tv or monitor, so the videos do not look right, so I can not use HDR.

• 4 weeks later...
MBSki

@Luke Can you please provide an update? You mentioned 4 months ago that you were going to look into building an heic library to incorporate into skia. What's the status? did you build the library yet? 

ocxoocxo

Is there any progress on HEIC support or should we plan to continue with HEIC -> JPG conversion workarounds for the foreseeable future? Thanks!

• Like 1

On 7/21/2021 at 1:16 PM, ocxoocxo said:

Is there any progress on HEIC support or should we plan to continue with HEIC -> JPG conversion workarounds for the foreseeable future? Thanks!

We are looking into it. Thanks.

MBSki
36 minutes ago, Luke said:

We are looking into it. Thanks.

So are you starting to build an heic library to incorporate into skia?

• 9 months later...
MBSki

I thought Luke said Emby would have to customize instead of using skia for heic support. @Luke Can you add heic support separate from skia?

• 2 months later...
pir8radio
On 5/26/2022 at 9:17 PM, Luke said:

It's on the to do list.

I constantly get iphone warnings due to my photos eating up all of my apple cloud space,  they want me to buy more space..      Would be worth it for some just to use emby as an auto photo storage system...    but you dont support HEIC photos...  🙂      I just started using emby for this auto upload from my phone to clear out the apple cloud space..     Please add HEIC support..   even though its on the TO DO LIST,   can we move this to the DONE list?   :)

• Agree 1

pir8radio
55 minutes ago, Luke said:

Actually yes, soon, so stay tuned.

MU7KJku[1].gif

Edited by pir8radio
  • Haha 1

MBSki
8 hours ago, Luke said:

Actually yes, soon, so stay tuned.

Does soon mean sometime within this round of beta releases?

• 6 months later...