65 replies to this topic

#41 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 157003 posts
  • Local time: 11:10 PM

Posted 15 April 2018 - 12:42 PM

Read my explanation. They are not chapter skip keys.

#42 PurposelyCryptic OFFLINE  

PurposelyCryptic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 85 posts
  • Local time: 10:10 PM
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 15 April 2018 - 05:51 PM

Ok so here is how we'll improve this.

The OSD will remain as-is, because without the presence of next/previous track there is no other on-screen way to execute the function.

The keyboard shortcuts will be fixed to match what our documentation currently says. In addition, the channel up/down keys will be updated to cycle channels when playing live tv, but also to serve as next/previous track when not playing live tv.

Forgive me if I'm being dense, but is there a particular reason why remotes now have two input sets mapped to next/previous track (The dedicated buttons, and now the channel up/down buttons), keyboards have two input sets for pause/unpause (Space and PageUp/Down), but only keyboards have a shortcut mapped to next/previous chapter/track, and even then only a multi-key one (control-f/control-b)?

Is it really that problematic to map next/previous chapter/track to one of the duplicated inputs (preferably PageUp/Down, since they are present on both keyboards and remotes, every keyboard has a Space key, and having separate keys for pause and unpause is odd to begin with, but as an alternate function for channel up/down would work too)?

I still can't really see any situation that specifically requires a next/previous track button where a next/previous chapter/track button wouldn't work equally well to begin with, but that conversation has gone nowhere in months, so I'm just assuming now the world will end unless a sufficient number of next/previous track inputs exist in Emby Theater. But would it really be so bad to map next/previous chapter/track to a currently almost-entirely useless set of inputs like PageUp/Downpause/unpause, so that remote users could finally easily access this incredibly useful functionality again?

I'm out of town for the current month, and have been using the opportunity to try out Plex on my laptop (with 4 8TB external drives hanging off of it); So far I definitely still prefer Emby, but I'd be lying if I said that every time I skip over a show's Opening/Ending Credits with the push of a single button, it doesn't make me dread having to go back to Emby where that option just is not available.

#43 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 157003 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 07:59 PM

Yes, more mappings are possible. The current ones have been mostly adopted from windows media center and netflix so that's where they originated.

#44 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 157003 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 08:00 PM

We could use page up/down for next/previous chapter.

• PurposelyCryptic likes this

#45 PurposelyCryptic OFFLINE  

PurposelyCryptic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 85 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 15 April 2018 - 08:27 PM

That would be awesome! :)

(also matches the implementation in several other platforms, so easy for new folks to pick up)

#46 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 157003 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 08:32 PM

Give it a try again tomorrow. thanks.

#47 ShoutingMan OFFLINE  

ShoutingMan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 679 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 09:01 PM

You know the overall architecture and roadmap for Emby, so I have to trust you know how all this fits together, and why the button used to be chapter skip but aren't anymore. I can only say for my uses, I don't use Emby for music and don't need next/prev tracks. Chapter skip is more normal and to me and is helpful to have.

I'm glad it's available via keyboard shortcut and can be mapped to my remote. That's what I really need. If you change the keys, please update the documentation so I can update my remote accordingly. Thanks :)

#48 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 157003 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 09:02 PM

Docs are updated based on page up/page down changes.

#49 arrbee99 ONLINE  

arrbee99

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 3584 posts
  • Local time: 03:10 PM
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 15 April 2018 - 09:26 PM

For that actual GUI buttons, it would be nice if the |< and >| could be chapter skip and a double click could be prev/next track.

#50 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 157003 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 09:36 PM

Nobody would ever realize that I'm afraid.

#51 arrbee99 ONLINE  

arrbee99

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 3584 posts
  • Local time: 03:10 PM
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 15 April 2018 - 09:55 PM

Well in my humble opinion, such a mind-numbingly brilliant idea should be applied instantly if not sooner...

If not, it would be good if you could add a hover over thing for those buttons to say Previous / Next Item, or whatever, just like you have Fast Forward for >> and Settings for Gear Icon

#52 Paul77nz OFFLINE  

Paul77nz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 126 posts
  • Local time: 05:10 PM

Posted 21 April 2018 - 09:29 PM

@Luke should this be working for the Xbox One app as well? I use a Logitech Harmony remote and have the Xbox One ChannelUp and ChannelDown commands mapped to buttons, but they are functioning as play/pause rather than chapter skips.

I can't see any specific page up/down commands like you mention above, but I thought these were the same as channel up/down commands I am using?

Should I be able to chapter skip on Xbox One and I just have it set up wrong?

Thanks

Edited by Paul77nz, 21 April 2018 - 09:33 PM.

#53 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 157003 posts

Posted 21 April 2018 - 09:59 PM

Not yet, we haven't released an update for Xbox One in a few weeks.

#54 Paul77nz OFFLINE  

Paul77nz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 21 April 2018 - 10:40 PM

Not yet, we haven't released an update for Xbox One in a few weeks.

Thanks @Luke, that explains it.

Will this change likely to be in the next Xbox One update?

Thanks

#55 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 157003 posts

Posted 21 April 2018 - 10:49 PM

Yes.

#56 Paul77nz OFFLINE  

Paul77nz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 22 April 2018 - 12:28 AM

Yes.

Brilliant, thanks.

#57 shpitz461 OFFLINE  

shpitz461

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 194 posts
  • LocationAcworth, GA

Posted 15 May 2018 - 03:02 PM

Is there a way to remap keys in Theatre? I'm struggling with shortcuts using Harmony One. Many buttons that work in MCE do not work in Theatre.

Skip chapter doesn't work, can't get the OSD to appear when pressing INFO or GUIDE on remote, and the wiki shows many shortcut keys for video playback are 3-key combos (e.g. ctrl+shift+a) which are impossible to get to work with Harmony.

Trying to streamline remote keys to be used efficiently with both Theatre and external players.

#58 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 157003 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 03:34 PM

There currently is not a remap feature. In my testing skip chapter works just fine, and you can get the OSD to appear by pressing any of the arrow keys.

#59 shpitz461 OFFLINE  

shpitz461

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 194 posts
  • LocationAcworth, GA

Posted 15 May 2018 - 03:36 PM

Are you using a remote? which key is mapped to your skip chapter button?

Attached File  skipback.gif   245.73KB   1 downloadsAttached File  skipforward.gif   248.82KB   1 downloads

#60 shpitz461 OFFLINE  

shpitz461

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 194 posts
  • LocationAcworth, GA

Posted 15 May 2018 - 03:39 PM

I usually get OSD to pop if I press PLAY on the remote during playback, but you stated that Emby is trying to match with MCE mappings but INFO and GUIDE do not do anything during playback.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: theater, chapter skip, playback, keyboard

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users