Any tricks to get DD+ to convert to DD on Shield?

virtualtinker

virtualtinker

I'm trying to get Netflix to play in 5.1 on my Shield TV. A few things about my setup.

- My TV is a 2015 model (Samsung JS8500) that won't pass DD+ over ARC.

- My soundbar only supports DD, DTS, and AAC, no DD+ (Samsung HW-MS750)

- My Shield connects to my TV over HDMI ARC. The TV then connects to the Soundbar over HDMI ARC.

My understanding is that Nvidia didn't license the ability to convert DD+ to DD which is where my main problem is. And since I can't pass DD+ over ARC, I am out of luck. I've also tried connecting the Shield to the Soundbar directly to see if that would make any difference but as I suspected, all I got was Stereo.

What I'm trying to figure out is if there's any trick to making this setup work. Maybe sideload some app that will circumvent the licensing issue so the shield will convert DD+? Or maybe there's some kind of HDMI device I can out in line to my Shield and TV that will allow my Shield to pass DD+ and convert the audio stream to DD before passing to the TV? Both my TV via the Tizen Netflix app and my PS4 can both do DD5.1 via Netflix. I am just trying to get this working on the Shield as that's the main media device my family uses, so I'm trying to make this as easy as possible.

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated, thanks!

mastrmind11

Pretty much all modern AVR's support DD+, so go buy a cheap AVR and hook everything up via ARC.

CBers

I used to use POPCORN AUDIO CONVERTER to convert DD+ to DD as my old Sonos PlayBar wouldn't play DD+, but my new LG Soundbar does.

This is all from my Shield, so it's not the Shield that is the problem.