DRM, What purpose does it now serve?

tdiguy

tdiguy

I would say with how easily DRM is defeated it mostly turns legal consumers to acquire content in less than legal means. I mean we have an example right here, i seriously doubt sonar is promoted by any company as a legal means of acquiring content and they are unlikely to be any sort of partner with them.

DRM is defeated extremely easily. I have a dvr that i bought that was geared towards capturing video game action. It records at a very high rate, the average 2 hour movie takes up something like 10gigs. This dvr also either strips or simply doesnt support drm, i can connect my firestick to it load up the showtime app and record whatever i want and then play it back on anything i want. The dvr cost somewhere in the 100$ area not exactly what i would call expensive. 

Just my take on it.

I would say with how easily DRM is defeated it mostly turns legal consumers to acquire content in less than legal means. I mean we have an example right here, i seriously doubt sonar is promoted by any company as a legal means of acquiring content and they are unlikely to be any sort of partner with them.

DRM is defeated extremely easily. I have a dvr that i bought that was geared towards capturing video game action. It records at a very high rate, the average 2 hour movie takes up something like 10gigs. This dvr also either strips or simply doesnt support drm, i can connect my firestick to it load up the showtime app and record whatever i want and then play it back on anything i want. The dvr cost somewhere in the 100$ area not exactly what i would call expensive. 

Just my take on it.

That argument, from the perspective of the content owners, would encourage them to make the DRM more robust - not eliminate it.

If the locks on your house only keep out some of the criminals, you are not going to just remove the locks altogether.

tdiguy

That argument, from the perspective of the content owners, would encourage them to make the DRM more robust - not eliminate it.

If the locks on your house only keep out some of the criminals, you are not going to just remove the locks altogether.

The locks on my house are flimsy and only keep out honest people. DRM does about the same job especially when transmitted over an already encrypted connection. 

Sammy

Just my take on it.

Using a CableTV STB with Component Out and a ColossusHD you can do the same thing direct to the disc on your network and have it fully accessible in Emby.

tdiguy

Using a CableTV STB with Component Out and a ColossusHD you can do the same thing direct to the disc on your network and have it fully accessible in Emby.

Thats a pretty cool video capture card. I don't use a STB at all ( i have a hdhr set up. ) but that is a pretty convenient way to record.

Also as a side note, that is a great way to take old video tapes and record to a digital format ( as long as you still have a working vcr lol )

Edited by tdiguy
  • Like 1

Guest asrequested

I've got one of those cards. I haven't used it in a long time. It's back in it's box. There're only a few channels with DRM, and I don't have any interest in them.