H265 with HDR and Transcoding

Brudertac

Brudertac

Hey there,

using a LG OLED B7D TV and Emby on a Synology DS918+

I have a Testmovie with a very high Bitrate (above 80 MB) and the TV is not able to play it without stutter using direct play without transcode...

Now, if i use the 4k - 80mb setting in Emby the Movie will be transcoded and played but it is transcoded to h264 and so HDR is lost.

Is that the correct behaviour of Emby on the LG APP or do i have to change some settings to get h265 transcoding?

Thanks for Help on this.

Brudertac

Gesendet von meinem SHIELD Tablet K1 mit Tapatalk

Brudertac

Hi, if it transcodes then yes you're going to lose the HDR.

Thanks for your fast answer.

Does emby (premiere) offer any options to reduce the Bitrate with any encoding without losing HDR (maybe not in real-time)?

send from mobile

No, but we working on a feature to allow conversion of videos into multiple qualities for playback. However, even once we deliver that, I think you are going to find that it's unrealistic to convert to h265 on a Synology NAS and still be able to use it for other tasks at the same time. Converting to h265 requires significantly more CPU than converting to h264 (which your NAS can handle just fine).

• Like 1

Brudertac

Thanks Luke.

One last question, the technical Details from Synology say that the DS918+ can handle H265 at 4K for Transcoding.

So why is then H264 used for Transcoding?

Gesendet von meinem SHIELD Tablet K1 mit Tapatalk

CBers

Hey there,

using a LG OLED B7D TV and Emby on a Synology DS918+

I have a Testmovie with a very high Bitrate (above 80 MB) and the TV is not able to play it without stutter using direct play without transcode...

Now, if i use the 4k - 80mb setting in Emby the Movie will be transcoded and played but it is transcoded to h264 and so HDR is lost.

Was that Testmovie a download from LG, or one of your own?

Either way, can you supply a sample, as I have the LG C7V TV and would like to test it if possible?

I have HDR movies Direct Playing in the Emby LG app, so I wonder if it's a B7D limitation.

Brudertac

Was that Testmovie a download from LG, or one of your own?

Either way, can you supply a sample, as I have the LG C7V TV and would like to test it if possible?

I have HDR movies Direct Playing in the Emby LG app, so I wonder if it's a B7D limitation.

It is digital copy from a movie. The File is about 70Gb so this is to big to share.

Do you know a program I could use to cut a part from it?

There is a sequence right at the beginning of the movie where it stutter. Good for test...

Edit:

I also have other HDR files who plays without Problems. But I believe this one has just a to high Bitrate...

send from mobile

Edited by Brudertac

CBers

It is digital copy from a movie. The File is about 70Gb so this is to big to share.

Do you know a program I could use to cut a part from it?

I think any of the mkv tools can create a sample.

Which movie is it? I may already have it.

It's not an ISO you're trying to play is it?

Brudertac

I think any of the mkv tools can create a sample.

Which movie is it? I may already have it.

It's not an ISO you're trying to play is it?

No ISO. Just an MKV. It is John Wick Chapter 2. Do you have it?

andyblac644

correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the B7 just 100mbits lan?, and UHD HDR file have peaks of over 140mbits, maybe try wifi instead of hardwire, I have too on my EF950V,

John Wick 2 has a overall bit rate of 84Mbps, that going to be too much for 100mibts LAN, thats at about the max your going to get out of 100Mbits LAN with overhead, never mind the peak bitarates, 

so, imo try wifi, you may get that little extra out of it.

to rule out lan connection, put the file on a USB3 Stick/HDD and play the file with the built in LG Media Player, as that what Emby is using, just over network.

Andy.

Edited by andyblac644

Brudertac

correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the B7 just 100mbits lan?, and UHD HDR file have peaks of over 140mbits, maybe try wifi instead of hardwire, I have too on my EF950V,

John Wick 2 has a overall bit rate of 84Mbps, that going to be too much for 100mibts LAN, thats at about the max your going to get out of 100Mbits LAN with overhead, never mind the peak bitarates, 

so, imo try wifi, you may get that little extra out of it.

to rule out lan connection, put the file on a USB3 Stick/HDD and play the file with the built in LG Media Player, as that what Emby is using, just over network.

Andy.

Andy, thank you so much. I cannot believe that this TV really have no GBit Lan. 

Switched over to wlan and it works fine. Great. 

Thank you!!!! :)

andyblac644

Andy, thank you so much. I cannot believe that this TV really have no GBit Lan. 

Switched over to wlan and it works fine. Great. 

Thank you!!!! :)

np, yeah, only the late 2017 high end models have 1Gbps lan, glad it worked, you will still find some UHD HDR movies won't play via wifi, depends on what bitrate you can connect to your tv via wifi, as a rule of thumb you double the bitrate of the file trying to play so ideally you want around 400mbits +, my tv does not have AC only N, so I max out at 270Mbits, that why I still have issues with some files.

Edited by andyblac644

CBers

No ISO. Just an MKV. It is John Wick Chapter 2. Do you have it?

Yes I do.

Strangely it also transcodes in the LG app, but it Direct Plays in the Android TV app!!

I have the 4K with Atmos version, which is ~45Gb in size.

Video bitrate is: 63915 kbps / 62.41 mbps

CBers

There are direct play improvements in the next release of the LG app. Thanks.

OK, but it seems a bit hit and miss, as this video Direct Plays in the LG app, but not on the Shield.

• 1 month later...

i find MKV remux wont trigger HDR on the LG but the lower 4k size does

On a remux it might not work at the moment but we are currently working on what is necessary to make that happen. thanks.

BuDWiZe

On a remux it might not work at the moment but we are currently working on what is necessary to make that happen. thanks.

yes it appears to work 50/50 at the moment and sometimes with lag where the internal LG player will play ok

looking forward to the update thanks for the quick reply

• 3 weeks later...