Cache/buffer size

neik
Go to solution Solved by neik,

Hey guys,

I have been using Kodi + Emby for the last two months and it is working nearly flawlessly.

There is just one small problem: From time to time I have buffering problems.

Don't know how big the default buffer is but to me it seems to just buffer a couple of seconds although my device has plenty of space on its storage left.

What I would like to know is: Is it possible to increase the cache/buffer used by Emby (or is it Kodi's buffer size, which has to be increased)?

Given that, I am using WLAN to stream that could be part of the issue but I think increasing the buffer the device could cache a little bit more than just a couple of seconds and therefore it could overcome small connection issues which might appear with WLAN.

Would like to hear your thoughts on this.

Thanks!

Angelblue05

Are you using Emby for Kodi or Embycon?

If you are using Emby for Kodi, everything related to playback is controlled by Kodi. If you have caching issues, you can modify the Kodi cache to try and fix your issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Already tried both of them but currently I'm using Emby for Kodi.

This issues occurs no matter what PlugIn is in use.

Going to increase the Kodi cache and report back.

What would be the solution in case you are using EmbyCon?

Thanks so far!

No, I don't use transcoding at all.

A little bit more information about my setup:

1. I am using Cloud storage to storage my (encrypted) transcoded Blurays.

2. A VPS then mounts that storage using rclone and it runs my Emby server.

3. My FTVS 2 then connects to the Emby server using a SSL connection with Let's Encrypt certificates.

Coming to your second question: I am no sure what you mean by Emby dash report, are those reports the logs of the Emby server?

Angelblue05

The second question was related to the first one (when you are not sure, under active devices on the emby dashboard will let you know what type of playback is being used).

The reason I mention transcode is because m3u8 is not compatible with the kodi cache. Otherwise, I'm not sure what the issue could be. http buffering is definitely supported. Can you share how you tried to setup your cache in advancedsettings?

Edited by Angelblue05

The second question was related to the first one (when you are not sure, under active devices on the emby dashboard will let you know what type of playback is being used).

Got it! It is a direct stream, without any transcription.

Can you share how you tried to setup your cache in advancedsettings?

Didn't have time to play around with advancesettings but I think that will solve my problem. By default it seems to just use 20MB as buffer and that's pretty low imo.

I will report back as soon as I have some experiences with it.

Thanks once again! :-)

• Like 1

Angelblue05

Report back if you find a solution, to help others if they ever encounter this. Thank you :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1