Synology server question

Landonth

Landonth

Hi guys,

I am running "the other guys" media server and am having trouble with Live TV play back being choppy/freezing, I am looking at installing Emby instead. But before I spend a bunch of time migrating everything over I wanted to see if I could get some feedback first. 

I am running a Synology DS416play and have a HDHomeRun connect DUO. Live TV from the HDHR app works fine as well as the HDHR DVR software running on the synology.

Does Emby have the same issues with Live TV as the "other guys" media server? Is this a known issue? Or is the DS416play not powerful enough to do this?

Specs for the Synology DS416play are attached. I have checked the CPU/Server load/Network speeds and nothing seems to be overloaded or saturated, so this make me think this is a bug. 

Thanks,

Landon

post-270744-0-01920500-1514827931_thumb.jpeg

post-270744-0-43656600-1514827946_thumb.jpeg

Landonth

No, no, I think it should work pretty well, thanks.

Thanks for the feedback.

Are there any settings or plugins I need to enable?

Plex is ok but lack of feedback is starting to get to me. No one has responded to my issue, I have posted logs and all. 

I really want to have this all integrated into one system and not have to jump between apps.

I have bought a 1 month subscription and try out Emby. If it works out well i will get the lifetime membership. 

Thanks

Landon

Thanks for the feedback. Please let us know how you get on. You have an HDHR so you won't need any plugins. Thanks.

Landonth

Thanks for the feedback. Please let us know how you get on. You have an HDHR so you won't need any plugins. Thanks.

3.2.50.0-1 is being pulled from the server when installed through the DSM Package Centre, I see an update is available to 3.2.60.0. What is the best way to update, as the newest version is not seen in the DSM Package Centre.

Hi, that new version is running a little behind for Synology but should be available soon. Thanks.

Landonth

Hey Luke,

I have spent some time testing the live tv today and have had good results with Hardware acceleration. Its nice to see that it works! I know for a fact now that Plex Hardware acceleration/transcoding is BROKEN !!! 

I am having the best results with "Video Acceleration API (VA API) (experimental)" does this sound like the best setting to be using? In my testing it was the only one that would allow video to play smoothly. 50% CPU load on a single OTA HD stream, about 80% for two streams. Are you thinking that I should be able to view channels with out enabling Hardware acceleration?

My HDHR Connect Duo does not support hardware acceleration, but I am thinking about getting the HDHR Extend that does hardware transcoding. Would I see a difference in server load? Or would the HDHR Extend give me a worse picture because it is hardware transcoded VS Synology Hardware acceleration? Or would the Emby touch the stream a second time?

I have to dig into the guide feature and Live TV recording. 

So far so good!!

Thanks for the feedback ! And yes for your environment VAAPI is the only option. We need to filter the list to remove irrelevant entries per platform. Thanks.

Landonth

Thanks for the feedback ! And yes for your environment VAAPI is the only option. We need to filter the list to remove irrelevant entries per platform. Thanks.

Luke,

Do you think I should buy the HDHR Extended that has built in hardware encoding? Or stick with my current model?

Thanks for all your assistance!

Landon

If you're happy with these results then I would say that you're fine with your current model.