Emby not starting on Windows Startup

joaorsfonseca

joaorsfonseca

Hi there, i've noticed that my Emby does not automatically start when my windows starts. 

I've also detected that Emby does not start on windows waking up from hibernation state.

I am on 3.2.36.0.

joaorsfonseca

@@Luke Do I need to do it?

I am asking this because, I never did it and Emby was starting automatically both on windows startup and resuming from hibernation.

Can you please tell where should I configure it in Emby?

Happy2Play

Are we talking about Emby being run as a service?  Or starting at Window login?

joaorsfonseca

@@Happy2Play I believe not.

I want to have my Emby running without having to start it  :)

Meaning, on my home server when windows starts, Emby should also start. Also, and since my server hibernates everyday, I want it to start also when the system resumes from hibernation.

This was working till sometime ago. Can't specify when or since which version it stooped working

Happy2Play

So you are referring to starting Emby as a Service, since that is the only one that starts Emby without logging in.. 

With the new changes to Emby you now have to do this.

Running Emby Server as a Windows Service

Edited by Happy2Play
  • Like 1

joaorsfonseca

I think we are complicating or I am missing something here.

I just want to have Emby server running on windows startup. Just to be able to access my media through my TV. Right now, I need to start Emby mannually on my server.

Happy2Play

I think we are complicating or I am missing something here.

I just want to have Emby server running on windows startup. Just to be able to access my media through my TV. Right now, I need to start Emby mannually on my server.

By default the Service was removed from the install do to Windows deleting it with every major update.  So you have to do what I posted in the link above.

joaorsfonseca

@@Happy2Play when it says "path to EmbyServer.exe" it's this one "%AppData%\Roaming\Emby-Server\System\MediaBrowser.ServerApplication.exe"?

By the way.. Can I create a task on Windows Task Scheduler instead of the service option?

Thanks.

@@Happy2Play when it says "path to EmbyServer.exe" it's this one "%AppData%\Roaming\Emby-Server\System\MediaBrowser.ServerApplication.exe"?

Almost...  as in the description it would be "EmbyServer.exe" not MediaBrowserServerApplication.exe.

If you don't have an EmbyServer.exe then you are not on the proper version and should re-install from the website first.

joaorsfonseca

@@ebr thanks for your answer.. I've downloaded setup from Emby website and now I found EmbyServer.exe..

This installation has renamed system folder to system.old. I believe this is normal. Nothing to worry about.

I'll now try to work with Windows Task Scheduler :)

• 6 months later...
joggs

If I run Emby server as a service, I just get a notification that an update is available and I only have the option to shutdown the server and manually run the update by downloading and inastall the update from the website. Is that the correct behavior when you run the server as a service?

dansblackcat

Do you just maybe mean this?

Just so the emby server runs when you boot up your PC?

post-281-0-86979500-1531815914_thumb.jpg

joggs

The "run server at startup" does not work for me any more. It stopped working like a month ago. I am not running emby as a service, I just want emby to start when logging in at startup. Running win10 pro.

It looks like the shortcut is added to %appdata%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup , but does not start the server.

Edited by joggs

Tested before new release, works just fine here. All it does is create a shortcut in your windows startup folder, so perhaps check on that.