High Birate 4k playback

mattykellyuk

mattykellyuk

Hi

I just watched star trek 4k at around 37000kbps direct play mostly successfully. I saw about 10 pauses throughout the movie which I assumed is down to this high Birate. I have both TV and server (that has a gigabit ethernet) through ethernet. Is there anything else I can do to improve playback.

Thanks for the advice

Hi, well you can lower the in-app bitrate setting to force a transcode, but I'm guessing that's not the answer that you want to hear.

Hi, I just joined, but I also have a LG TV. What I noticed, that the TV (LG OLED 2017 B7V) only really has 100Mbit Ethernet, but 802.11ac Wifi. I noticed this, as I usually cut my own Ethernet for exact length for cable management and double checked the connection. I was really surprised I was only getting 100Mbit. (see: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-oled-technology-flat-panels-general/2784185-2017-lg-c7-b7-owners-thread-no-price-talk-106.html)

You might actually get better connection speeds on the Wifi of the TV (provided that your wifi access point supports 802.11ac, e.g. 5Ghz Wifi).

• Like 1

CBers

I can play a 4K movie with a video bitrate of around 56Mb without issue on my LG TV.

BitRate set by the app is "4K - 120Mb".

Deihnyx

On my LG E6 I was able to get rid of the pauses on a 4k HDR movie by disabling transcoding on the specific user (only allowing direct playback).

I haven't watched the movie fully yet but I checked scenes that have high bitrate peaks.

andyblac644

I can play a 4K movie with a video bitrate of around 56Mb without issue on my LG TV.

BitRate set by the app is "4K - 120Mb".

still waiting for the updated app, as I can't play any 4k movies in the lg app atm, but in XPlay for plex I can play movies with a lot higher bitrate with no issues on my OLED via wifi 

Format                                   : Matroska
Format version                           : Version 4 / Version 2
File size                                : 53.7 GiB
Duration                                 : 1h 29mn
Overall bit rate mode                    : Variable
Overall bit rate                         : 86.0 Mbps
Movie name                               : Lucy 4K
Encoded date                             : UTC 2017-10-17 06:02:19
Writing application                      : mkvmerge v17.0.0 ('Be Ur Friend') 64-bit
Writing library                          : libebml v1.3.5 + libmatroska v1.4.8
Edited by andyblac644

CBers

still waiting for the updated app, as I can't play any 4k movies in the lg app atm, but in XPlay for plex I can play movies with a lot higher bitrate with no issues on my OLED via wifi

Can you supply a sample of that movie?

XPlay for Plex?

mattykellyuk

Thanks for that feedback I'll definitely try using wifi instead. Mine is a 2016 model so definitely won't have gigabit LAN. Annoying.