My network racks

clarkss12

clarkss12

I noticed yesterday that my Live TV streams are transcoding, and they did not used to do that.  Running Server on Vorke V2 (Windows 10) and client on same device.

Server log.txt

Transcoding Log.txt

post-38990-0-44557800-1514564133_thumb.jpg

post-38990-0-68412900-1514564158_thumb.jpg

Edit: Disregard.  Rebooted my router and now it is Direct Playing....... Really strange.  I keep forgetting that rebooting my router solves my problems..

Edited by clarkss12

Guest asrequested

@@clarkss12 You should buy a switch, you shouldn't need to reboot your router, repeatedly. Just use it as a modem, and have everything else go through the switch.

Edited by Doofus

clarkss12

@@clarkss12 You should buy a switch, you shouldn't need to reboot your router, repeatedly. Just use it as a modem, and have everything else go through the switch.

I have 5 gigabit switches in my system.

clarkss12

Back to transcoding the Live TV stream.  First router reboot, solved the problem.  After updating the firmware for Widows (another story), back to transcoding again.  Rebooted the router again, but did not help this time.  Running the client and server on the same Vorke V2 (Windows 10), getting the transcoding.  Using a different Android client, and same sever, I get direct streaming........  

Not sure if it is my networked system, but a few days ago, all my clients AND servers played my Live TV streams with Direct Playing.

ffmpeg remux.txt

Server Log.txt

Transcode.txt

post-38990-0-79629400-1514568212_thumb.jpg

Guest asrequested

So why are you rebooting your router? All your traffic should be going through the switch. If you're streaming through your LAN, it should work regardless of the router. And why 5 switches? That may be part of your problem.

clarkss12

So why are you rebooting your router? All your traffic should be going through the switch. If you're streaming through your LAN, it should work regardless of the router. And why 5 switches? That may be part of your problem.

Yes, 5 switches could be part of my problem.  I have several different devices running different OS's.  LibreELEC, Linux, OpenWRT, Android and Windows.  Most of these devices are running different servers, Tvheadend, Plex and Emby.

Guest asrequested

Yes, 5 switches could be part of my problem. I have several different devices running different OS's. LibreELEC, Linux, OpenWRT, Android and Windows. Most of these devices are running different servers, Tvheadend, Plex and Emby.

But you don't need independent switches for them. You just need enough ports to connect everything. You may have a failing switch, or have congestion. You should reduce to as few switches as possible, and then troubleshoot.

Edited by Doofus

clarkss12

But you don't need independent switches for them. You just need enough ports to connect everything. You may have a failing switch, or have congestion. You should reduce to as few switches as possible, and then troubleshoot.

Unfortunately, most of the switches are in different locations.  I have 3-5 port switches on my entertainment center, guess I could consolidate them.

clarkss12

Is your quality set to auto perhaps? Slow network speeds might be causing the transcode.

Yes, I leave my devices set to auto.

clarkss12

You could even buy a cheap 24 port enterprise class switch, on eBay, if you you really want to connect all of those devices.

Why enterprise?

Guest asrequested

Why enterprise?

They are designed to handle continuous data transfer, and have larger buffers. You're daisy chaining consumer switches, and depending how you've layered them, you may be creating a loop or loading up one of the switches and it's getting tired :)

clarkss12

They are designed to handle continuous data transfer, and have larger buffers. You're daisy chaining consumer switches, and depending how you've layered them, you may be creating a loop or loading up one of the switches and it's getting tired :)

Thanks for that answer, I will take a look...  It is strange, my Emby (Kodi also) servers and clients will play perfectly for weeks, then all of a sudden problems arise.  In the past I have tried to diagnose and solve the problem but not success.  I even purchased a new switch and swapped out my existing ones, one at a time, did not solve my intermittent LAN problem.  I even took some of my devices OFF line, one at a time to try to find the cause, but no success.  This process took a long time.

Whenever Kodi starts buffering, I know I need to reset my network.  I usually unplug all my switches and reset my router.  Then I connect each switch individually, starting with the switch that my NAS's are connected to.  Then I connect the switches to the devices that are the most important, waiting for them to connect to the network, before connecting the other switches.

Guest asrequested

You've got too many layers with no management. You need to simplify and save yourself a few headaches. I've got an old dlink smart switch, if you want it. It isn't smart anymore, but functional as a 'dumb' switch.

Edited by Doofus

tdiguy

It would also be good to check and see if your switches support either spanning tree protocol or rapid spanning tree protocol, it sometimes is just something else to troubleshoot but when working correctly it greatly reduces problems in a network with multiple switches.

clarkss12

It would also be good to check and see if your switches support either spanning tree protocol or rapid spanning tree protocol, it sometimes is just something else to troubleshoot but when working correctly it greatly reduces problems in a network with multiple switches.

You just spoke Greek to me.

Guest asrequested

You just spoke Greek to me.

lol...like I said.....you should simplify  :D

Edited by Doofus

tdiguy

This is an article from cisco that explains it in detail. https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/lan-switching/spanning-tree-protocol/5234-5.html

This is also some good reading on the subject:,https://www.lifewire.com/rules-in-computer-networking-817825 I do also agree with doofus on this, it sounds like you would benefit from simplifying your setup.

O also even though the first link is cisco and it talks all about cisco gear other companies have implemented stp and rstp on their switches, if you have unmanaged switches ( ie there is no web interface or no telnet / ssh interface to the switch ) they likely do not support spt or rstp.

Edited by tdiguy

clarkss12

Will one of these work??  I will NOT spend a lot of $$$$ money on a switch.  My setup, one living room and 3 bedroom.  Modem connected to Asus RT-AC1900P (sitting on desk in front room).  Three ft. Cat 6 cable from router to 5 port Trendnet switch (TEG-50G) (also on desk), cables from that switch to Ooma VOIP box, HDHomeRun OTA tuner, 100 ft run to entertainment system.

3 8-port Switches at entertainment center, feed 2 NASs, several Android boxes and MicroPC, running different OS's, Also, connects to Samsung Smart TV and Denon AVR. PS3 and since removed Xbox 360.

One 75 ft run from Asus router to basement to a 5 port gigabit switch.  That switch feeds one outside security cam, and three bedroom TV boxes.  In master bedroom (mine), another 5 port gigabit switch to feed, android box, Windows 10 micro PC (Tronsmart Ara X5), and a micro Linus box.

So, a very simple setup, should JUST work.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833156509

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122822

I appreciate all the advice.  Also, I have been fighting my connection problems for years.

tdiguy

I assume all those switches are needed due to the number of devices. So with that assumption in mind i would go with either one of the switches i am no expert on those brands but they are both full duplex gig speed.

Curious also, do you have any issues with voip like broken up audio or robot sounding? if you do you might be able to resolve it by moving the ooma box to being right after the modem so it would be modem --> ooma --> router this way the ooma box can do prioritizing of the voip traffic. You would probably have to reboot the modem if you do this also and set up any port forwarding in the ooma box that you need.

Without doing an entire overhaul of the network i would also check the switches to make sure they are all full duplex and gig speed. If you find a switch ( or god forbid if there is a hub ) thats half duplex schedule that for replacement as soon as you can. While cat5e cable can get gig speeds i would recommend cat6 where possible but expecially linking switches.

Edited by tdiguy

clarkss12

I assume all those switches are needed due to the number of devices. So with that assumption in mind i would go with either one of the switches i am no expert on those brands but they are both full duplex gig speed.

Curious also, do you have any issues with voip like broken up audio or robot sounding? if you do you might be able to resolve it by moving the ooma box to being right after the modem so it would be modem --> ooma --> router this way the ooma box can do prioritizing of the voip traffic. You would probably have to reboot the modem if you do this also and set up any port forwarding in the ooma box that you need.

Without doing an entire overhaul of the network i would also check the switches to make sure they are all full duplex and gig speed. If you find a switch ( or god forbid if there is a hub ) thats half duplex schedule that for replacement as soon as you can. While cat5e cable can get gig speeds i would recommend cat6 where possible but expecially linking switches.

I may have my Ooma connected directly to my router, not really sure, but for some reason, I chose not to connect it directly to my modem.  But I don't have any issues at all with it.

All my switches are gigabit and full duplex, and most if not all of my cables are cat 6, I may have a sprinkling of cat 5e hear and there.  All of my long runs are definitely cat 6.

Do you think I would gain anything by consolidating the 3 switches with a 16 port one??

tdiguy

I cant say that there would be much of an improvement by consolidating now knowing that everything is gig / full but if it was my network i would consolidate at the very least to save myself some sanity if i had to troubleshoot an issue or if a dam squirrel chewed on a wire ( yes i have issues with them in my walls dam annoying critters in the walls and ceiling )