Movie Versions in Roku App

ThePeanutAndTheSweetPea

ThePeanutAndTheSweetPea

Apologies if this issue has already been discussed/addressed, but if it has, my seaches on the topic haven't been good ones.

Evaluating Emby and Plex for home media server which will be primarily used for ripped blu-ray discs.

With the web interface, I'm able to select from multiple versions of a ripped movie, like this:

5a45598682fec_Screenshotfrom201712281349

I can't seem to figure out how to do the same via the Roku app.  I've tried both the public and private beta channel apps, both installed today, on my new Roku Streaming Stick+ (3810X).

Also, wondering if there is any way to rip DVD or Blu-Ray discs in a way that allows Emby to easily replicate the whole "experience" of a DVD/Blu-Ray movie--menus, extras, etc..  Is that possible?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

Hi, welcome. This is a new feature for us and we are in process of rolling it out to every Emby app. It will be added to Roku soon.

In my view, the best way to replicate a bluray menu is to rip the movie extras into video files and use our movie extras feature. You can learn more about that here:

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Movie%20naming#movie-extras

Please let us know if this helps. Thanks !

ThePeanutAndTheSweetPea

Hey, thanks so much for your quick response.  Looking forward to seeing that feature added to the Roku app.

Regarding extras and such, your response is pretty much what I expected.  I was just hoping there was something less manual-labor intensive.  Ripping with MakeMKV, as I'd imagine you know, often leaves you with a pile of video files that can make it tedious to match particular files to the main title, alternate versions there of, and various special features.  It seems like there should be some way to automatically decode a discs menu structure and information in order to more easily determine which files belong to which disc features and such, but of course that's easy for me to say, not really knowing anything about the way these discs are structured/encoded/etc.  And I'd imagine the film industry isn't a tremendous help about such things--I'd imagine they actually do everything they can to make it *harder* to accomplish this, right?

But boy, would it sure be nice to be able to plop my legally-purchased-or-otherwise-obtained movies into a computer, and have a piece of software spit out a version that could be utilized by a media server in order to replicate the full disc experience without having to mess with dvd/blu-ray players, stacks of discs, etc...  A guy can dream, right?

Anyway, thanks again.  Looking forward to getting into using Emby!

Yea you would think that MakeMkv could figure out the names of each feature and give each of them a better file name. Thanks for the feedback.

• 1 month later...
KidNamedCudi

Any update on this feature? Would be really helpful since playback of 4k transcoded movies is extremely choppy and basically unwatchable

Any update on this feature? Would be really helpful since playback of 4k transcoded movies is extremely choppy and basically unwatchable

It is already available in the beta version.  This version is still in the Roku review process for release.

Thanks.

• Like 1

It is already available in the beta version.  This version is still in the Roku review process for release.

Thanks.

The channel code provided is not associated with a valid channel.

The channel code provided is not associated with a valid channel.

Try the link on the website.  Maybe it got garbled somehow.

• Like 1

Try the link on the website.  Maybe it got garbled somehow.

IDK, it showed up on one of my Roku's this morning but I'm having some sort of network issues or the app has issues because I got a spinner for a very long time then the green bar then it played for a second or less, then the green bar again.

I'll test some more given more time and if issues persist, I'll post a new post with logs and photos of the screen.

Thanks!