Malformed HTTP response

tjazar

I recently upgraded my Emby server to the latest 3.2.60.0, but after doing so, my media seems (at best) to be hit or miss in terms of actually playing. My setup is Emby server running on Ubuntu 16.04, with the Emby channel on a Roku 4 playing content on a local network.

If I use 3.2.60.0, I repeatedly get "Corrupted Content" errors in Firefox when trying to load the Emby server page. Trying in an Incognito window usually works, but it seems to forget my settings all the time. On my Roku, attempting to play media gets met with an error message along the lines of "Malformed HTTP response". Further, none of my media will play on the server itself (in the browser), regardless of codec. This is despite the same media playing on server 3.2.50.0.

My solution at this point has been to downgrade to 3.2.50.0. Everything seems to be working again, which makes the family happy.

hi, can you give an example of a url that shows this? can you provide the console output from firefox? thanks,.

Well, I've since downgraded to 3.2.50.0, but the answers to your questions are simple: the error was produced when trying to visit localhost:8096/, even after uninstalling and reinstalling. The console was empty, because that error message is from Firefox itself, not Emby. Firefox refused to load anything, because (as it claimed) the content was corrupted. It looked a lot like this image:

Screen_Shot_2016-11-11_at_12.55.38.jpg?A

mastrmind11

Well, I've since downgraded to 3.2.50.0, but the answers to your questions are simple: the error was produced when trying to visit localhost:8096/, even after uninstalling and reinstalling. The console was empty, because that error message is from Firefox itself, not Emby. Firefox refused to load anything, because (as it claimed) the content was corrupted. It looked a lot like this image:

Screen_Shot_2016-11-11_at_12.55.38.jpg?A

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1011249

I wiped my entire Firefox storage of cache/cookies/etc., and the problem still popped up. Using Incognito could get around it, and using a new container worked for a while, too. However, that doesn't explain the error on the Roku, which doesn't use Firefox to fetch Emby (at least, to my knowledge...).

mastrmind11

So is this a local server or remote?  Is SSL involved?  What other intermediaries are there?

• 3 weeks later...

I figure an update on this issue might be warranted. I have since wiped my hard drive and installed Solus OS. Emby is not packaged for Solus, so I downloaded the Docker install. Unfortunately, that gave me the same result on my Roku (and locally with Firefox). I must admit, I'm stumped as to what causes it.

However, I wiped again on installed elementary OS, which is based on Ubuntu 16.04. I installed the Emby package, set it up, and everything is working just fine on Roku and Firefox. Again, I have no idea why, but at this point I'm just happy that I can watch my media again.

• Like 1

Can you give an example? Thanks.

I'm not sure I follow -- an example of what? The problem is gone, and as I have wiped my hard drive, the logs are gone too.

As I recall, the Roku app gave me a message about a problem with HTTP headers for any file I tried playing, including files that played previously with no problem.