D Series not playing videos that M Series is playing

gsadasivan

Maybe because it's interlaced?  I'm not sure it can convert interlaced to progressive when streaming video.  That's just a guess though because I don't have any other media which is interlaced like this

Edit: it does the same on both my devices.  Looks good on a pc though

Maybe the TV's do support deinterlacing but the deinterlacer isn't very good. That would be my guess.

• Like 1

@@Abobader please grant frostbyte ability to download attachments. thanks.

Good day,

He already have that, the same day we apply that rule.

My best

• Like 1

Hi,

I think only admins have the rights for download files, normal or standard user don't. @@gsadasivan, if you want more opinions, try to share this file in other place like Google Drive, DropBox or other service.

Regards,

gsadasivan

@RafG, here is an external link from where you can download the video: https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/gf5ecKapysVRVyrt9h0Whmbd58ed1EeRu97rcEQeTi7

The TV is capable of de-interlacing while streaming. This problem is only with some recordings. Others play normally. One thing I have noticed is that it is always a CBS show that has a problem.

@@FrostByte, yes it plays very well on PC, Dish Joey etc. 

• Like 1

FrostByte

Maybe the TV's do support deinterlacing but the deinterlacer isn't very good. That would be my guess.

That could be it's just not very good.  The tv of course does have a deinterlacer because I've watched 1080i shows, just don't have anything like that in my library to stream.  

The TV is capable of de-interlacing while streaming. This problem is only with some recordings. Others play normally. One thing I have noticed is that it is always a CBS show that has a problem.

Thanks

I've included the mediainfo if anyone is interested.

5a51652836828_interlace.jpg

Edited by FrostByte

Right, maybe the built-in deinterlacer is just not very good, or maybe for this particular file it's not detecting that it's interlaced at all.

gsadasivan

@@FrostByte,

But look at what the Emby server thinks about the stream:

Video Codec    H264
AVC                  No
Profile              High
Level                40
Resolution      1920x1080
Aspect ratio   16:9
Anamorphic   No
Interlaced       Yes
Framerate       29.97003
Bitrate            10092 kbps
Bit depth        8 bit
Pixel format   yuv420p
Ref frames     1
NAL                0
Title                1080I H264

Audio Languageeng
Codec            AC3
Layout           5.1
Channels      6 ch
Bitrate           384 kbps
Sample rate  48000 Hz
Default          No
Title               Eng Dolby Digital 5.1

Container     mpegts

gsadasivan

So, I think I may have an explanation. I three HDHomeRun devices that I use for recording. One of them is capable of outputting hardware transcoded h.264 stream. This file that I posted was recorded on that particular device, hence uses h.264 encoding.

Samsung player seems to play interlaced MPEG-2 (broadcast standard) without any issues, but has a tough time if the stream has been transcoded to h.264.

I have changed the transcoding preference on the HDHR device to 'none', did some snippets, seems like that solves my problem with the Samsung (well, workaround anyway).

• Like 1

FrostByte

So, I think I may have an explanation. I three HDHomeRun devices that I use for recording. One of them is capable of outputting hardware transcoded h.264 stream. This file that I posted was recorded on that particular device, hence uses h.264 encoding.

Samsung player seems to play interlaced MPEG-2 (broadcast standard) without any issues, but has a tough time if the stream has been transcoded to h.264.

I have changed the transcoding preference on the HDHR device to 'none', did some snippets, seems like that solves my problem with the Samsung (well, workaround anyway).

I think this may be correct.  I've found several articles online saying about the same thing where people are seeing choppiness with their Samsung and H264 interlaced video

Here are a couple of the links I found Googling  "Samsung interlaced h264" if you wish to see

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/372098-Samsung-TV-1080-50i-h-264-file-playback-interlaced-combing-issue

https://old.kdenlive.org/forum/problems-viewing-interlaced-h264-kdenlive-encoded-1080i-video-projects-samsung-led-tv

Edited by FrostByte

I'm not so sure about that because i think the HD Homerun transcoding also deinterlaces, at least i would think so.

gsadasivan

@@Luke, HDHomeRun Extend does not de-interlace. I used (by mistake) 'heavy' setting which just does h.264 encoding maintaining resolution, interlacing etc.

From their http API reference:

heavy: transcode to AVC with the same resolution, frame-rate, and interlacing as the original stream. For example 1080i60 ->  AVC 1080i60, 720p60 -> AVC 720p60. 

gsadasivan

Hi,

@@gsadasivan, for your info, I check your file in my Samsung D TV, in other TVs via chromecast and Fire TV and in my computer and I don't see any difference.

Thanks for checking it out.

I am surprised you experienced the same playback on Samsung D, Chromecast, Fire TV and computer. I just downloaded the file onto my laptop from the amazon link, it plays smoothly. Whereas on the Samsung D, the scrolling text (ticker, forget what they call that on TV) is extremely jerky. 

gsadasivan

I think this may be correct.  I've found several articles online saying about the same thing where people are seeing choppiness with their Samsung and H264 interlaced video

@@FrostByte, now we have a short example that Samsung can play with and fix the problem. It happens on my brand new M Series, which means they have had the same problem for six years now!

@@Luke, can we have Samsung folks take a look at the clip?

@@gsadasivan, I have just recheck again your file in my Samsung D model and I think why I didn't have any problem the first time, I'm using 1.06 emby client, my model don't have support for this container but emby server is transcoding. Sorry for this misunderstanding, in my D model without transcoding your file is jerky. Same problem. :-(

FrostByte

@@FrostByte, now we have a short example that Samsung can play with and fix the problem. It happens on my brand new M Series, which means they have had the same problem for six years now!

@@Luke, can we have Samsung folks take a look at the clip?

@@gsadasivan, I have just recheck again your file in my Samsung D model and I think why I didn't have any problem the first time, I'm using 1.06 emby client, my model don't have support for this container but emby server is transcoding. Sorry for this misunderstanding, in my D model without transcoding your file is jerky. Same problem. :-(

If this is indeed a problem with the deinterlacer on all Samsung's maybe @Luke can make the server transcode/deinterlace these files.  Emby already knows it's interlaced and H264

Edited by FrostByte

gsadasivan

yea but do they even still push out firmware updates for your model? 

Well, may be not for my D series, but my M is brand new. They owe it fix it in that one :)

Only thing we can really do is force a full transcode on the server, but that would have to be with an option because even despite interlacing, most people still want to avoid transcoding when possible.

FrostByte

I thought it was just H264 compressed interlaced videos which caused the issue, not all interlaced.