Server not reading local metadata

tired dad

I think whatever is going on here may be related to MCM.  I had this kind of thing happen for some old movies I had on my system that more than likely had xml created by MCM. 

piperprinx

In my case It seems I got my metadata back by

-deleting all files in folder, leaving the mkv only,

-fetching metadata from scratch using metabrowser

-and then refreshing in server.

It seems to work for now.

tired dad

I think whatever is going on here may be related to MCM.  I had this kind of thing happen for some old movies I had on my system that more than likely had xml created by MCM. 

My metadata was created by meta<browser/> and it still messed up until I installed the server on a second machine.  Since doing that and ensuring MB3 never updates the metadata, I've not had any issues to speak of.  I do agree however with Hedwig: something used to work until the end of February, and then things started to mess up big time.  I got lucky, and may not be lucky at a future date, but I can say without a doubt that MB3 was pulling data when it wasn't supposed to be.  Unfortunately I have no log files to give as when I removed the program from the other machine, I also deleted the cache, et cetera

Edited by tired dad

No, I don't believe it was, at least not from the internet. It was probably embedded data within the media.

Well on on previous pages i asked for sample xml files and a log which I still haven't seen.

Yea believe me, I want to make sure we can handle these kinds of "stress test" scenarios because as funky as they sound, some people do these things.

But as always, it is much easier to start with a simple problem scenario that can be reproduced easily and consistently with just a few steps. So I really want to start with the basics of adding a new movie or adding a new show or episode. There's obviously not a widespread problem or we'd be seeing a lot of issues posted, but there could always be a fringe case here and there that was missed.

Hedwig

Luke,

Please find the test log files ...

I will send the movie.xml file in next post...

I you also need the movie you can find it on Youtube :

Thanks for the help...

server-63531441372.logserver-63531441372.logserver-63531441785.logserver-63531441811.logserver-63531442098.logserver-63531442345.log

server-63531441519.log

Hedwig

Luke,

Could not 'attach' xml file...

Text follows :

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<Title>
    <Added>25-3-2014 00:00:00</Added>
    <LockData>false</LockData>
    <LockedFields>Name|Overview|Genres|OfficialRating|Cast|ProductionLocations|Studios|Tags|Keywords|Images|Backdrops</LockedFields>
    <Type>Video</Type>
    <Overview><![CDATA[As you can see no metadata were added for this new movie - foldertype = Home Video - Metadata settings are on OFF]]></Overview>
    <LocalTitle>10 Things That Could Wipe Out Life On Earth</LocalTitle>
    <ProductionYear>2014</ProductionYear>
    <Website>

<RunningTime>3</RunningTime>
    <Runtime>3</Runtime>
    <Genres>
        <Genre>Educational</Genre>
    </Genres>
    <Studios>
        <Studio>Youtube</Studio>
    </Studios>
    <Persons>
        <Person>
            <Name>Hedwig</Name>
            <Type>GuestStar</Type>
            <Role></Role>
        </Person>
    </Persons>
    <Description><![CDATA[As you can see no metadata were added for this new movie - foldertype = Home Video - Metadata settings are on OFF]]></Description>
    <OriginalTitle>10 Things That Could Wipe Out Life On Earth</OriginalTitle>
    <VideoAspect>1.778:1</VideoAspect>
    <VideoBitrate>2670000</VideoBitrate>
    <VideoCodec>H.264</VideoCodec>
    <VideoCodecType>H.264</VideoCodecType>
    <VideoCodecRaw>AVC</VideoCodecRaw>
    <VideoFileSize>59455524</VideoFileSize>
    <VideoHeight>720</VideoHeight>
    <VideoLength>3</VideoLength>
    <VideoLengthSeconds>166</VideoLengthSeconds>
    <VideoQuality>Great (720p HD)</VideoQuality>
    <VideoWidth>1280</VideoWidth>
    <AudioBitrate>192000</AudioBitrate>
    <AudioChannels>2</AudioChannels>
    <AudioCodec>AAC</AudioCodec>
    <AudioCodecRaw>AAC</AudioCodecRaw>
    <AudioFrequency>44100</AudioFrequency>
    <MediaInfo>
        <Video>
            <Codec>H.264</Codec>
            <FFCodec>H.264</FFCodec>
            <BitRate>2670000</BitRate>
            <Height>720</Height>
            <Width>1280</Width>
            <FrameRate>25.000</FrameRate>
            <Duration>3</Duration>
            <DurationSeconds>166</DurationSeconds>
            <ScanType>Progressive</ScanType>
        </Video>
        <Audio>
            <Codec>AAC</Codec>
            <FFCodec>AAC</FFCodec>
            <Channels>2</Channels>
            <BitRate>192000</BitRate>
            <Language></Language>
        </Audio>
    </MediaInfo>
    <VideoHasSubtitles>False</VideoHasSubtitles>
    <TMDB></TMDB>
    <TMDB_ID></TMDB_ID>
    <ForcedTitle></ForcedTitle>
    <Collection>Youtube</Collection>
    <SortTitle>10 Things That Could Wipe Out Life On Earth</SortTitle>
    <IMDBrating></IMDBrating>
    <IMDbId></IMDbId>
    <IMDB></IMDB>
    <MPAARating>G</MPAARating>
    <Revenue>0</Revenue>
    <Budget>0</Budget>
    <TMDbId></TMDbId>
</Title>

there's about 6 logs there. what am i looking at? what would be most helpful is one precise scenario of steps to reproduce a problem, and then one single log from when you executed those steps.

Hedwig

Eureka ! ... and I am not Greek!

I did some further testing and probably found the solution to the problem (or partial)...

I did not know that MB3 can make its own movie.xml files (I read that in some other post) If you set flag 'Save metadata and images within media folders' to ON (Tab Metadata).

I removed the movie.xml file made by MCM, add some more metadata to my movie above and saved the file. Closed MB3 and restarted the server.

All metadata were there now! I did again some additions to the metadata to be sure and restarted all over again with success!

I could now test it on my main db but to be sure and trying to avoid many hours of additional work, I would like to know if a rescan will force MB3 to create its own xml files?

Will it maintain the metadata that are in the existing xml files? or is there any other way to rebuild the MCM xml files to the standard that MB3 uses?

So, it does appear to be related to MCM?

Maybe it is the embedded YT video that appears to be inside it...?

Hedwig

Could be an MCM problem but that does not explain why MB3 sometimes does read the MCM movie.xml file and sometimes not... Maybe it has to do something when the MCIM movie.xml file being changed (added metadata).

Also it does not explain why that was never a problem before the update of February 24th.

Do you have any idea about my 2 last questions?

Thanks

Edited by Hedwig

Ernst

Guys, this may or may not be related, but I too had some issues with local metadata disapearing and unable to refresh.

Here goes:

I discovered that in my case this would only happen to 3d movies (and only sinse the last update).

So I looked in the log file and found lots off errors mentioning the "Media Browser xml file" to be the culprit.

Wi8th this information i looked at my folders and realised there are moviename.xml files in the folders that had been created by the subtitle program i use for 3d subtitles.

Once I removed these, the refresh for my 3d movies worked again.

This leads me to believe the latest version of MBS gets confused and is not merely looking for a movie.xml but takes any .xml file into consideration.

Don't now why it should look at anything else but movie.xml, but mayve there is a reason for it.

Anyhow, if anyone is having trouble with refreshing metadata from within MBS, one thing to look for is additional xml files in the movie's folder and take them out.

Hope this helps.

Ernst

That was quick :P

OK, so this is intended. If only I knew......... It would have saved me some time.

Nevertheless, thx for the reply Luke and maybe someone else can take benefit from this knowledge too.

yes this is true. moviename.xml is supported and takes precedence over movie.xml if it exists.

• 3 weeks later...

the best way to get help is to supply all requested information. posting in multiple places isn't going to make anything happen any faster.

chjohans

I *have been* supplying all the requested information in the other thread. Please do not insinuate that I'm not, I didn't start using the Internet and public forums "yesterday".

And I'm certainly not posting "multiple places". I did make a new thread for "my problem" after searching without finding something similar. But after posting and searching some more I came across this thread, and it seemed like a good idea to "link" the two threads since the problem seems to be related. And I still think that is a good idea, I'm sure you will come to the same conclusion if you think about it some more :=)

Edit: Sorry, when I read what I wrote I realize that it sounds very "harsh", that was not my purpose, my apologies. I just wanted to point out the reason I posted a comment in this thread as well, but it came out a bit more "aggressive" than necessary :)

Edited by chjohans

• 2 weeks later...
Hedwig

yes this is true. moviename.xml is supported and takes precedence over movie.xml if it exists.

I am very happy to tell you that everything is ok now...and that I am running the latest release of MB3 without any problem (i.e Version 3.0.5211.41935).

I first removed all moviename.xml files in my movie folders (which were created by MCIM), than installed the newest release and rescan...

In each movie folder there is a movie.xml file (created by MCM) and as long as this one has the right local metadata in it (if it's wrong you have to correct manually) than everything is going really well...

Thanks to all for the efforts made...

• Like 1