chmod: cannot access '/var/lib/emby'

hieroglyph

hieroglyph

Just tried a fresh install of emby on a machine that had the previous emby-server folder structure on it (Previous meaning things lived in the /var/lib/emby-server directory. And there was no /opt/emby-server directory). Looks like the install process has been simplified into a one-liner. Nice!

After removing/purging the previous install of emby 3.2.60; emby 3.2.60 was reinstalled. As you can see from the attached image the installer seemed to not like the fact I did not already have an existing /var/lib/emby directory. Once I created the /var/lib/emby directory emby installed without any issues.

1. Why did this happen? Was it user error on my part? Or...
  2. Was it intentional to make the install fail if the /var/lib/emby directory didn't already exist?
  3. And if it was not intentional to make the install fail, does it make sense to include an extra step to make the /var/lib/emby folder before the install starts?...
    sudo mkdir /var/lib/emby && sudo dpkg -i emby-server...

Machine is running Linux Mint 17.3.

post-103967-0-89730300-1514226847_thumb.png

frabe8378910

If you install the current emby-server package it creates /opt/emby-server and populates it with the executables, libs and so on...
I don't remember for sure, whether it created /var/lib/emby on my first install of these newer packages, but I think so. Anyway as I had Emby running for over a year now, it didn't honore my former /var/lib/emby-server where all former metadata and other stuff was located. The easy fix to this is, to create a symlink to from emby-server to emby (ln -s /var/lib/emby-server /var/lib/emby) and you're done. Did 3 more updates since then by downloading the new package from Emby webpage and just installed it (dpkg -i package-name.deb). So all required directories are there and the installation does not mess up with former location of /var/lib/emby-server.

Maybe this helps.

hieroglyph

Ok. My assumption is user error on my part. So maybe by not having a /var/lib/emby-server or /var/lib/emby I was able to get the install to fail. Once I get back from Christmas break I'll be able to install in on a different machine and see if I can get the same thing to happen.