Tuner not available.

tdiguy

I have 1 device powered on and 1 recording going on yet all 3 tuners are tied up.

There should only be 1 tuner tied up.

PS I also power cycled the 1 device we were using to try to clear this up.

post-215172-0-46716200-1514082025_thumb.png

Also just to sum up my system is a hdhr prime with 3 tuners. Currently there is 1 recording going on and the only device we are using at this moment is the fire tv and we get the message no tuners available when there should be 2 tuners free. For what it is worth tuner02 is the one recording the show right now.

I restarted emby and the tuners all released.

Edited by tdiguy

mastrmind11

I see this notification on my Shield just watching live tv and no recordings happening, followed by a live tv freeze/stutter of about 1 second, then it continues on its way.  Started happening after the .60 update.

I don't see any evidenice of this in the log. the same number of streams that have been opened have also been closed here.

I don't see any evidenice of this in the log. the same number of streams that have been opened have also been closed here.

OK, but when its giving: http://<my connect ip / url>/emby/Sessions/Capabilities/Full s that the error for no tuners available?

Also seeing this i should check for how this device is connecting, connecting like that is sending traffic out to the internet and then back to me.

Edited by tdiguy

Ugg same issue again. 1 recording happening and 1 device accessing emby but all tuners are tied up.

I am not imagining this Luke, emby isnt releasing the tuners properly.

I can't reproduce this and I don't see any evidence of this happening in your server log.

So when it says: http://<my connect ip / url>/emby/Sessions/Capabilities/Full  That isnt it calling for that error?

My wife just switched to using the bedroom tv and fire stick and can use that to watch tv.

Which is a bit odd, what generates the message that no tuners are available the server or the client?

Here is a new server log i recently turned debug logging on.

I am not sure just how accurate it is but the hdhr web page for tuners shows all 3 being in use. The emby server only shows 2 things using tuners on the dashboard but under live tv it shows all 3 tuners as watching.

server.txt

Edited by tdiguy

I think i figured out how to quickly re-produce the issue but i dont have much time with the tv today, i will see what i can do tommorow but i think if i occupy all 3 tuners then power cycle my fire tv and then try to watch live tv that it will have all 3 tuners locked when 1 tuner should be freed from the fire rebooting. I only tested once so far though.

Edited by tdiguy

Well i thought the system was behaving better on 50.11 but i was wrong.

I doubt you will see the issue in the server log and you might not be able to re-produce it but its showing up in the hdhr log and i know i am not imagining it. Today there was only 1 tuner in use when this happened.

post-215172-0-14441700-1514413397_thumb.png

server.txt

hdhr.txt

hdhr.txt

Edited by tdiguy

Right now i am having issues with this again.

in emby under live tv all tuners show occupied. 

In hdhr it shows all tuners occupied.

In the emby dashboard it correctly shows the 1 active device using a tuner. Emby is not properly releasing tuners from my hdhr prime.

To free up the tuners i restart the emby server ( just emby not the entire server ). This is a lousy solution for a few obvious reasons. Like how often i will need to restart emby, and if there is a recording in progress.

@@Luke @@ebr

See previous post for logs.

I have also submitted a ticket to silicondust but i am not very hopeful for resolution through them since i use emby for everything and not the hdhr client.

Come to think of it this might be more related to the client ( the fire tv running emby app ) it seems most tuners get stuck on what that tv was watching. I can switch stations till the cows come home on my laptop.

Edited by tdiguy

We found an unrelated issue with the server causing live streams to take a little longer to open than they should.

The fix really should not affect this at all but you never know, so please try the beta server, thanks.

60.5 is more responsive for sure. I need to try to test a little more but I think i narrowed down the problem, i think it might have been more with using VLC as an external player than with emby.

Also i love that disney ( which is SD with interlaced content ) now is direct stream. 

The zoom function seems to have been pulled out so i am a bit torn and wishing that there was a hd version of disney in my market. Overall though this is working better and the movies / tv streams starting faster is great.

My son is autistic and there are a couple movies that he absolutely loves, I have those in their own library so i can load them quickly without fumbling through a ton of movies and faster start times especially on these movies normally = less time of my son hurting himself. 

Well I guess i spoke too soon.

This issue came up again. According to the dashboard i should have 2 free tuners. According to the livetv section and the hdhr they are all occupied.

Right now the only active device is the living room tv and there is 1 active recording. Living room tv is watching a movie from my library because all tuners are in use.

Sillicondust got back to me about the log i sent them from the hdhr and said that according to the hdhr all tuners were occupied. Something isn't meshing quite right.

I also am no longer using vlc for live tv so i guess that wasnt causing the issue.

Checking on the hdhr device it currently shows all 3 tuners locked by 192.168.1.50 ( my emby server )

hdhr.txt

server.txt

Edited by tdiguy

tdi, I am frustrated as well.. but the issue seems to be related to google most likely or SiliconDust, unlikely related to Emby since I can replicate the issue without using Emby.

I see that you posted to the SiliconDust forum, this is probably our best bet to get this issue resolved.

Unfortunately the issue is ongoing for several months now and no fix... 

tdi, I am frustrated as well.. but the issue seems to be related to google most likely or SiliconDust, unlikely related to Emby since I can replicate the issue without using Emby.

I see that you posted to the SiliconDust forum, this is probably our best bet to get this issue resolved.

Unfortunately the issue is ongoing for several months now and no fix... 

I just recently thought to look over there and check things out. The thread over there about tuners not releasing properly is ongoing and it looks like there are a couple of different devices involved. I myself am leaning to this being a hdhr issue. The annoying part is that it is not easily and readily reproducible or at least i have not yet figured out a sure fire way to lock things up. Course i also don't want to since this is pretty much "in production"

FWIW the thread is: https://forum.silicondust.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=116&t=66312

Awesome it seems there is a manual tuner unlock! https://forum.silicondust.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=12216&start=60#p90155

Edited by tdiguy

I can confirm improperly ending a stream causes all sorts of problems with the hdhr. I watched tv with the theater app and then closed the app and for some reason it tied up both the available tuners and i cant seem to unlock them.

NM someone over on the SD forums chimed in with a way to force unlock the tuners and then clear the channel. Had to install the hdhr software on my linux machine first but now at least right from my emby server i can release tuners. Its not ideal but it will save me some headaches, now as long as my vpn works and i can ssh i can release tuners. 

I am also going to encourage my wife to exit the live tv viewing by pressing the back button, its still covenant being able to restart the amazon fire by powering off the tv. I have had a few different apps just act weird or stop responding after the fire goes to sleep. Hopefully with this it will help out a lot, but hopefully SD will find a way for the hdhr to realize a stream was terminated in a less than graceful way and have the hdhr release the tuner. This all really does seem like something the if anyone can do something about it would be SD.

Edited by tdiguy