Chapter Image Extraction Settings

ShadowBlade72

ShadowBlade72

I know this was previously suggested, but no amount of searching has led me to the previous thread on it.

I'd like to see the ability to get to a "YouTube" or "Netflix" like "chapter" preview when scrubbing through shows or movies. This is a standard feature on Plex, and I'd love to see it come to Emby.

Right now when you try to figure out how far to skip ahead to skip an intro you're left hunting around because the image extraction is only every couple minutes of video.

I know that to pull out chapters every 5 seconds as opposed to every 5 minutes will take a ton of space and processing power, but I have both of those.

53042e3b0b0a4de316ffdc91124865bb.png

• Like 5

• 9 months later...

It's something we'd like to do in the future, yes.

I'm wondering what's become of this?

Rather than start a new thread, I searched and this thread popped up.

What we need is a "video preview" during Fast Forward and Rewind. I know that right after a show is added Plex will scrape it and develop the video preview.

This is one step closer to being the best IMHO!

• Like 1

It's supported on the Roku app and the server already fully supports this.

It's done the same way Plex does it using BIF files which were made popular by Roku.

So it's partially here already. :)

• Like 1

It's supported on the Roku app and the server already fully supports this.

It's done the same way Plex does it using BIF files which were made popular by Roku.

So it's partially here already. :)

But for now it's only available for Roku users, right?

But for now it's only available for Roku users, right?

Correct.

IMO a much better approach here would be a dynamic one.  One that requests frames from either the player or server as the scrubbing is happening instead of relying on a hugely-intensive process to create frames for all your content when they may never be used.

I don't think you want to do that ebr.

Remember what this does is allow the user to FF to parts of the file that haven't been touched yet in the stream. How would this be handled when the user FF something that is being trascoded and already hammering the CPU?

With the BIF file you already have that information available to you.

Also something to think about is that with the BIF files you only need to create the file one time then it's usable forever without further CPU use. If this were dynamic then every time any user played back that media it would essentially get done again.

There are advantages to both ways of course but to me disk space is cheap compared to limited CPU resources so I'd rather have a nightly process build this file one time for each video I've got and be done with it.

A good compromise would be to allow the BIF file to get scanned if not present already when ever new media is played with the option of saving it (as normal) as normal to the file system or just to a special cache area that gets cleaned out like the transcoding folder does.

That sort of give you dual functionality.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just checking again about progress on this feature which would have HUGE WAF!

(Not that she doesn't already use Emby every day but she'd appreciate this as would I)

• 2 months later...

As a recent Roku to Nvidia Shield user, my two cents worth - well, really the wifes....

She says to me 'put the thumbnails back on' (we have always had roku thumbnail plugins). 

I mentioned this in my recent post about 'what is the best client currently for emby' (AndroidTV users of course had never heard of roku plugin). 

The wife loves the roku thumnails.  Can other platforms (i.e Android TV)  be modded to 'read' the bif files ? 

I am still running the plugin twice daily for the other 6 roku's in use.  Be great if the Shield client can also use it. 

• Like 1