VU+ plugin not working?

FredFrin

FredFrin

Hi everyone!

Emby newbie here - wish I had come across emby much earlier!

I have emby server running & with chrome client I can stream music & video to another Linux desktop. 

I installed the VU+ / Enigma2 plugin to access TV / recordings from my dreambox. Did the server restart

following plugin installation. The dreambox is running Enigma2, and since VU+ is essentially a dreambox

clone I assume this should work.

Having set IP & port details & Bouquet name in the VU+ plugin config, I go to 'Live TV' in the chrome client,

but I see no channels, or anything else that may be coming from the dreambox. 

I enabled  VU+ debugging logging. Teh server is running in docker - I'm tailing the docker logs - see nothing

related to VU+ plugin.

Not sure what I'm missing. Is another plugin required? Or will this only work with a subscription perhaps?

Cannot see how to debug ...

Any help welcome! - Thx

FredFrin

FredFrin

Wow - that's some response speed!

I just upgraded server to the new  3.2.60.0, and ran the Refresh Guide task. 

No change - however I've not set the Guide source to anything yet. I presume this pulls epg data from the web

(ie not from the dreambox). I'm not sure what a suitable source is atm.

VU+ is the only plugin installed - now see this line in the server log:

Info App: Loading MediaBrowser.Plugins.VuPlus, Version=3.1.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null

cheers.

Stefan  

this is a very brief log. can you try running the refresh guide scheduled task and then capture the entire log file from that? thanks.

andyblac644

@FredFrin Imo you would be better off with my e2 plugin and use Emby's built in HDHomeRun code.

what image are you using?, check your plugin feeds for a plugin called HRTunerProxy.

Edited by andyblac644

FredFrin

Ok - thanks for that tip! 

I'm running the server in a docker container & was using docker logs to view log output.

Following your comment I found the logs in the Server config of the UI - which contain much

more info - it seems the output to stdout / stderr that docker lists stops after server startup?

I spent quite a bit of time looking into some issues - so I'll summarize my findings - hopefully 

they'll save some others some time!

Having found the full logs I was able to locate exceptions & correct the VU+ plugin config. This

seems quite fussy, ie when getting picons from the enigma2 web interface, there must be no

text in the local path. When using local path - you must enter a trailing slash. Otherwise 

exceptions occur! 

Having sorted the config, I was able to stream TV from my dreambox!

I have come across two main prob areas so far:

- picons:

On the dreambox TV UI, picons can be installed. The installation asks where to place them,

eg hdd, compact flash usb etc. HDD should be avoided since constant picon access will

never allow the disk to sleep. I placed them on compact flash. This immediately works

at the TV, but not at the Openwebif or Emby. For this to work, a symlink is needed on the

dreambox, linking  /usr/share/enigma2/picon to the dir containing picons on the compact

flash drive (typically /media/cf/picon). With that in place, the web-server starts responing

to picon requests.

Next I noted that the Emby VU+ plugin requests picons in 'srp' format (not 'snp'). The diff

is nicely described here  http://echannelizer.com/guide/what-are-picons/

Hence ensure the picons installed on the dreambox are symlinked srp. I used

srp-full.400x240-370x210.light.on.transparent_2017-12-24--23-22-01.symlink.tar.xz

from https://www.picons.eu/downloads/ which worked well.

With all that done, restart enigma2 on the dreambox, clear browser image cache,

restart the emby-server & re-run the emby Live TV 'Refresh Guide Data' task.

This should now work ... except for HD channels. I found that the URLs the VU+ plugin

generates to request HD channel picons are incorrect, for example:

http://<dreambox IP>:80/picon/1_0_19_286F_425_1_C00000_0_0_0.png

that request will fail throwing an exception. The error is that there is a surplus

'9' - the correct request would be:

http://<dreambox IP>:80/picon/1_0_1_286F_425_1_C00000_0_0_0.png

I found this to be true fro at least BBC and german channels - I assume it's a global

problem. As a workaround, I sym-linked the incorrect values to the correct picon

files on the dreambox, for BBC / ITV these are:

ln -s logos/bbconehd.png  1_0_19_1B1D_802_2_11A0000_0_0_0.png
ln -s logos/bbctwohd.png  1_0_19_1B1C_802_2_11A0000_0_0_0.png
ln -s logos/bbcfourhd.png 1_0_19_22E3_80D_2_11A0000_0_0_0.png
ln -s logos/itvhd.png     1_0_19_5104_80F_2_11A0000_0_0_0.png
ln -s logos/itv2hd.png    1_0_19_50E6_80F_2_11A0000_0_0_0.png

but this looks like a bug in VU+ plugin - I'll raise a ticket on github.

- recordings page:

this is supposed to list the recordings on the dreambox. In my case there are quite a few,

and I never see any in emby. The log shows an exception in the timestamp processing

of one of the recordings:

2017-12-28 23:57:34.372 Debug App: [VuPlus] GetRecordingsAsync no match on channel name : BBC Two HD for recording Peaky Blinders
2017-12-28 23:57:34.372 Error App: [VuPlus] Failed to parse timer information.
2017-12-28 23:57:34.372 Error App: [VuPlus] GetRecordingsAsync error: Input string was not in a correct format.
2017-12-28 23:57:34.372 Error App: Error getting recordings

This could be an anomaly in the particular recording file(s), but since the dreambox

happily parses and displays the recordings list - I assume anothe VU+ plugin bug.

Will also raise a ticket on this.

- the 'Schedule' & 'Series' pages are always empty - not sure what I should expect here.

- a missing feature seems to be that it is not possible to switch audio channel on playback.

Surely this would be a high priority feature to most users. For instance on BBC the default

audio channel often includes narration - which you really want to switch off! 

But apart from that little lot, this looks a really nice enhancement!

Edited by FredFrin

FredFrin

@andyblac644: Phew - didn't see your comment until I invested quite some effort 

looking into VU+ plugin ...

My dbox is running OpenPli. I have not seen a plugin called HRTunerProxy.

Can you expand on your suggestion a little?

---

Ok - I  found https://github.com/OpenViX/HRTunerProxy where I see the name of the plugin

file seems to be enigma2-plugin-systemplugins-plexdvrapi.bb

This is not available via opkg on my box. I then followed your signature link & found:

https://github.com/OpenViX/HRTunerProxy/releases

Trying to install by running your python setup script. The following dependent packages needed to be installed first:

python-distutils

python-email

gettext (for msgfmt)

python-compile  (for py_compile)

Then:

root@dm8000:/media/CF/HRTunerProxy/HRTunerProxy-3.4# python ./setup.py install
copying build/lib/SystemPlugins/HRTunerProxy/locale/ar/LC_MESSAGES/HRTunerProxy.mo -> /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/SystemPlugins/HRTunerProxy/locale/ar/LC_MESSAGES
writing byte-compilation script '/tmp/tmptBXp9O.py'
/usr/bin/python2.7 /tmp/tmptBXp9O.py
removing /tmp/tmptBXp9O.py
running install_egg_info
Writing /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/enigma2_plugin_systemplugins_hrtunerproxy-3.0-py2.7.egg-info

Did not see the plugin in the Plugin list.

opkg does not list HR Tuner Proxy as installed plugin

Removed DreamPlex package with opkg

Reboot

Now enigma2 is in a continuous restart cycle.

Luckily the box is not rebooting - my ssh session is not closed.

/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/SystemPlugins only contained HRTunerProxy

Moved this away to see if the re-start cycle gets fixed

reboot

No improvement

Looks like I need to re-install OpenPLI.

What does that temp python script do?

Edited by FredFrin

andyblac644

@andyblac644: Phew - didn't see your comment until I invested quite some effort 

looking into VU+ plugin ...

My dbox is running OpenPli. I have not seen a plugin called HRTunerProxy.

Can you expand on your suggestion a little?

sure here is my thread Support

PLi should have the plugin in the feeds https://github.com/OpenPLi/openpli-oe-core/blob/develop/meta-openpli/recipes-openpli/enigma2-plugins/enigma2-plugin-systemplugins-hrtunerproxy.bb

Andy.

Edited by andyblac644

FredFrin

@andyblac644:

I'd really like to try your plugin - but I'm unable to get it installed:

Following a clean OpenPLi install:

- I cannot find the plugin listed via opkg or the Plugin UI

- I updated the prev post to show my guessed attempt at manual installation. The build log is attached. I see:

cat /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/enigma2_plugin_systemplugins_hrtunerproxy-3.0-py2.7.egg-info
Metadata-Version: 1.0
Name: enigma2-plugin-systemplugins-hrtunerproxy
Version: 3.0
Summary: HRTunerProxy
Home-page: UNKNOWN
Author: UNKNOWN
Author-email: UNKNOWN
License: UNKNOWN
Description: UNKNOWN
Platform: UNKNOWN

plus python files:

ls -l /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/SystemPlugins/HRTunerProxy
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root          2228 Dec 12 15:43 __init__.py
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root          3341 Dec 29 16:15 __init__.pyo
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root          2580 Dec 12 15:43 about.py
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root          3335 Dec 29 16:15 about.pyo
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root          5858 Dec 12 15:43 getDeviceInfo.py
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root          8582 Dec 29 16:15 getDeviceInfo.pyo
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root          8424 Dec 12 15:43 getLineup.py
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root          8591 Dec 29 16:15 getLineup.pyo
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root           643 Dec 12 15:43 getLineupStatus.py
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root          1523 Dec 29 16:15 getLineupStatus.pyo
drwxr-xr-x   39 root     root          2528 Dec 29 16:15 locale
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root          2670 Dec 12 15:43 plugin-hd.png
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root          1930 Dec 12 15:43 plugin.png
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root         18293 Dec 12 15:43 plugin.py
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root         20166 Dec 29 16:15 plugin.pyo
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root          4438 Dec 12 15:43 server.py
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root          5540 Dec 29 16:15 server.pyo
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root          6862 Dec 12 15:43 ssdp.py
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root          8644 Dec 29 16:15 ssdp.pyo

But the plugin is NOT listed in the UI as per the first pic of your Support page.

Would you have any idea what is wrong? Or perhaps you have an ipkg archive from which this can be installed?

--

Ok - cracked it: the installer places the plugin code in /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/SystemPlugins/HRTunerProxy

but enigma2 loads plugins from  /usr/lib/enigma2/python/Plugins/SystemPlugins

Copied the code to the second location - then found a run-time dependency python-argparse. After installing that

& rebooting (enigma restart hung several times) HRTunerProxy appears in the plugin browser! Selecting it also

hangs for ages - had a shower & it started the config window!

Best part of the day spent on installing a plugin ... let's hope it's worth it!

hrtunerproxy.log

Edited by FredFrin

FredFrin

Ok - I've now tried both options, there are my pros & cons for each:

VU+ plugin:

+ Install via emby UI was easy

+ Supports picons, even though a bit buggy it can be made to work.

+ EPG fetched from enigma & correctly displayed

+ Recordings support seems present, but not displayed at UI due to bug.

- Channel retrieval can be configured to 'all' or to a single named bouquet. Better than nothing, but grouping by retrieved bouquets (eg to playlists) would be better! 

- Configuration setup requires care & checking of logs. 

- several bugs found (Issues raised)

- not possible to select / switch audio streams

- code does not look maintained - last change was 3 yrs ago!

HRTunerProxy:

+ Uses built-in functionality in Emby, no plugin required.

- had to build the enigma2 plugin myself from sources (no pre-built packages found). Lack of build / dependency instructions - considerably prolongs getting this working. My info is supplied above.

- the enigma plugin did not work well. Opening the config window took ~4 minutes! Had to (find and) remove initial cfg files manually. Path is /etc/enigma2 where bouquet DB is. Not sure how this plays with dreamboxEdit.

- Only the 'Channels' list was seen to work. The 'Guide' page also displays the channel list, but no EPG data is fetched from enigma. Fetching EPG from web untested.

- No Recordings displayed!

- No channel grouping (by Bouquets). All my 3675 channels are listed on a 'paged' Channels page.  'Restrict to channels marked as favourite' not seen to work. Perhaps bouquets could be mapped to playlists / collections ?

- no picon support

- no recordings displayed

- not possible to select / switch audio streams

- messages still contain references to Plex

On the whole I favour VU+ although the big con there is that is does not appear to be maintained.

I'm tempted to try & fix some of the bugs I've reported, though C# a bit too Windowy for my liking.

Are devs working on Windows or also with MonoDevelop ? 

andyblac644

Ok - I've now tried both options, there are my pros & cons for each:

HRTunerProxy:

+ Uses built-in functionality in Emby, no plugin required.

- had to build the enigma2 plugin myself from sources (no pre-built packages found). Lack of build / dependency instructions - considerably prolongs getting this working. My info is supplied above.

- the enigma plugin did not work well. Opening the config window took ~4 minutes! Had to (find and) remove initial cfg files manually. Path is /etc/enigma2 where bouquet DB is. Not sure how this plays with dreamboxEdit.

- Only the 'Channels' list was seen to work. The 'Guide' page also displays the channel list, but no EPG data is fetched from enigma. Fetching EPG from web untested.

- No Recordings displayed!

- No channel grouping (by Bouquets). All my 3675 channels are listed on a 'paged' Channels page.  'Restrict to channels marked as favourite' not seen to work. Perhaps bouquets could be mapped to playlists / collections ?

- no picon support

- no recordings displayed

- not possible to select / switch audio streams

- messages still contain references to Plex

On the whole I favour VU+ although the big con there is that is does not appear to be maintained.

I'm tempted to try & fix some of the bugs I've reported, though C# a bit too Windowy for my liking.

Are devs working on Windows or also with MonoDevelop ? 

• the wait time maybe down to dm8000 being an old slow box, and the fact it has to read all your channels / bouquets (3675 of them), although the is only required to set the plugin, once setup it should be a problem.

• you can select the bouquet to use for Emby in the e2 plugin gui. see attached pic.

• your not supposed to see recordings, this plugin just brings the Tuners to Emby, so it can use them and let emby DVR function.

• EPG is garb via SchedulesDirect not from the Enigma2 data, as this has lots of necessary missing data.

• picon support is not required as Emby get the picons from SchedulesDirect EPG

• @@Luke is aware of the Track selection issue, this is an emby issue not the plugin.

• I'll check the code for 'Plex' references thanks.

Andy.

5a4915eace051_1_0_19_1B1D_802_2_11A0000_

Edited by andyblac644

FredFrin

@andyblac644: Thanks for your reply:

Re slow wait time: yes - I guessed it was parsing all the channels - but even when this is done, there are also big delays between button-press on remote & reaction ...

Re bouquet selection: this is nice - didn't explore due to slow reactions ;) Would still be nice to have the ability of a list of Bouquets which result in some form of grouping in Emby somehow. 

Re recordings: I can see from logs that the VU+ plugin is retrieving all recordings, presumably you can then play them in the emby client. Seems a nice option to offer, but I take your point.

Re EPG - yes I saw SchedulesDirect - but this is a paid service, no? I saw $25/yr I think. are there any free services that work?

Re Audio selection: yes - I already posted a feature request ...

andyblac644

@andyblac644: Thanks for your reply:

Re slow wait time: yes - I guessed it was parsing all the channels - but even when this is done, there are also big delays between button-press on remote & reaction ...

Re bouquet selection: this is nice - didn't explore due to slow reactions ;) Would still be nice to have the ability of a list of Bouquets which result in some form of grouping in Emby somehow. 

Re recordings: I can see from logs that the VU+ plugin is retrieving all recordings, presumably you can then play them in the emby client. Seems a nice option to offer, but I take your point.

Re EPG - yes I saw SchedulesDirect - but this is a paid service, no? I saw $25/yr I think. are there any free services that work?

Re Audio selection: yes - I already posted a feature request ...

@@FredFrin RE recordings could you not mount a share (NFS / SMB) to emby server of your recording folder from the STB ?

FredFrin

Yes, mounts are an option, however I find myself rebooting server & client boxes quite

frequently which lead to stale filesystems ...

andyblac644

ahh, I only use my boxes for recordings via emby now. need a way to choose audio track before I can use for livetv.

• 7 months later...

Hi Andyblac644

Are you able now to choose the audio track? How does your setup look like right now? Are you still just using ebmy for recording? Or did you completely move from Plex to emby?

Also i heared about openwebinterface implement xmltv export which should fit with the informations for Plex and maybe also for emby now?

• 4 years later...
GokuTradeDevil
On 8/31/2018 at 4:32 PM, Luke said:

Xmltv export world work for us.

hi Luke , i see that you made a great joob with vu+ plugin , i would like to know how to fetch more than a bouquet from my vu+ but not all of them or a way to unselect all the channels and to select just the ones i use cause when is adding them are selected and i have more than 2000 and just use 180 !

Thanks !

50 minutes ago, GokuTradeDevil said:

hi Luke , i see that you made a great joob with vu+ plugin , i would like to know how to fetch more than a bouquet from my vu+ but not all of them or a way to unselect all the channels and to select just the ones i use cause when is adding them are selected and i have more than 2000 and just use 180 !

Thanks !

Can you deactivate them in emby server after importing?

GokuTradeDevil
6 hours ago, Luke said:

Can you deactivate them in emby server after importing?

Yes, can i desactivate them one by one , we need something like select all to uncheck all then check just the ones that i use or to make something to fetch just bouquet 1 / bouquet 2 / bouquet 3 !

You are a mashine man , i don't see anyone so dedicated , you working 24/7 ! Love you !

• Thanks 1