Philips Android TV - No HEVC, UHD, DD or DTS

Gerrit507

Thanks.  I'd be interested in a log from your friend if he can do that because, if it is truly a different model then his may be reporting the situation more properly than yours and just working as it should.

Gerrit507

Thanks.  I'd be interested in a log from your friend if he can do that because, if it is truly a different model then his may be reporting the situation more properly than yours and just working as it should.

I don't think so. He had the same issue as me before. I think the hardware is also quite similar. His tv has the same chipset as mine and is also on Android TV 7.

I don't think so. He had the same issue as me before. I think the hardware is also quite similar. His tv has the same chipset as mine and is also on Android TV 7.

Okay, then it may be reporting itself as the same model internally.  I'd still be interested in confirming that if possible.  if not, no big deal.

I'll put up another beta later today that just forces DD and see how that performs for you.

Gerrit507

Okay, then it may be reporting itself as the same model internally.  I'd still be interested in confirming that if possible.  if not, no big deal.

I'll put up another beta later today that just forces DD and see how that performs for you.

I can make a log when I visit him next time.

Sadly there is another issue: I've just recognized that the sound is slightly async... :/

Gerrit507

I've found out some interesting stuff:

When I set the TVs audio setting to multi channel the avr gets DD but when I set it to Stereo(uncompressed) the avr gets PCM, but not stereo, it is 5.1 surround sound. Whereas this setting doesn't affect the behaviour of kodi at all. The receiver always gets DD with enabled pass-through.

Regarding the async sound: It only happens when I set it to Multichannel. I recognized that whenever the playback starts or is resumed there is a short snippet of audio which gets played twice. It's about the same length as the audio comes to early. Like the video keeps running but the audio starts playing twice from the same time where the playback starts.

Gerrit507

I've just tested version 28g.

The good news is that now everything transcodes in DD and the receiver gets DD while direct playing the video but the bad news is that it is still async.

Edited by Gerrit507

The good news is that now everything transcodes in DD and the receiver gets DD while direct playing the video but the bad news is that it is still async.

I'm not sure what we are going to be able to do about that except go back to believing the system and stop trying to send the DD 5.1 stream.

If you pause/unpause, does it correct the audio syncing issue?

Gerrit507

I'm not sure what we are going to be able to do about that except go back to believing the system and stop trying to send the DD 5.1 stream.

If you pause/unpause, does it correct the audio syncing issue?

When I pause and resume it's getting even worse.

The system might tell it's not supported but I've 3 third-party apps (Amazon, Netflix and Kodi) here where it is working so it shouldn't be impossible.

Edited by Gerrit507

Okay, I'm going to try one more thing with the next beta for you to try.

This will be beta .30 later today, not the one that just went out (.29).

Gerrit507

Okay, I'm going to try one more thing with the next beta for you to try.

This will be beta .30 later today, not the one that just went out (.29).

Hm...

Sadly version 30g broke everything again.

DD is cutting out every few seconds even wit low bitrate like 320 kbps but I think it is sync though.

DTS is now transcoded to aac 5.1 again and not DD.

What's strange though is that I'm getting DD now with the stereo(uncompressed) but still it's cutting out...

Edited by Gerrit507

Okay, so VLC cannot reliably pass it either.  I'll revert that.

For now, the only question is should I revert all the special handling due to the sync problems?

Gerrit507

I've tried vlc, archos player and mx player. They were all unable to pass-through, too. Probably they retrieve the same value from the system, that DD is not supported.

It probably would be the best to reverse it... We can either hope that Philips and Sony fix their broken firmwares again, because according to dozens of forum posts these issues as first came up after the update to Android 7, which was in late 2017. I'm thinking about downgrading the firmware actually...

I have one question: Which other player(s) are used in the emby app besides vlc?

I have one question: Which other player(s) are used in the emby app besides vlc?

Exoplayer which is built by Google for streaming applications.

Gerrit507

After the latest patch the avr still gets DD when the movie has DD and the audio is cutting out again. When I hit playback correction the audio is pcm.

Edited by Gerrit507

After the latest patch the avr still gets DD when the movie has DD and the audio is cutting out again. When I hit playback correction the audio is pcm.

Please confirm the version of the app is 1.5.31 and, if so, send a log.  Thanks.

Gerrit507

Please confirm the version of the app is 1.5.31 and, if so, send a log.  Thanks.

Yes it is. Log time 02:19

Can you please resend that log when you get a chance.  There was a problem on our end.  Thanks.

Gerrit507

Can you please resend that log when you get a chance.  There was a problem on our end.  Thanks.

No problem, log time 02:29

Okay, that's what I suspected.  Due to errors trying to play the item in Exo, we are switching to VLC which then exhibits the previous troubles with DD on that device.

• 8 months later...
Gerrit507

I just wanted to report back.

My TV received an update to Android TV 8 and everything is working fine now. Dolby Digital pass-through is working and other codecs are transcoded to Dolby Digital by the server. :)

Edited by Gerrit507

• 1 month later...
TonioRoffo

Oh man, Philips TV with Android 7 is so broken...  TV transcodes all in DD 5.1 - even if it is 2 channel.  You get L and R mapped on 5.1 output reducing your surround setup to stereo.

Good to hear Android 8 fixed things for you - can't wait for my TV to get the update, it was announced for the OLED873.