[BUG?/issue] Library scan takes hours since version 3.2.40.0

jant90

I'm running Emby server .NET Core on Manjaro (Arch based) and up until version 3.2.36.0 everything ran great. In version 3.2.40.0 and 3.2.50.0 however scanning the media library takes hours and hours (vs. less than 3 minutes in version 3.2.36.0).

So I was holding Emby back on version 3.2.36.0 up until now, but now the latest Kodi plugin (2.3.60) doesn't work with Emby server version 3.2.36.0 anymore. So now I'm forced to also to hold the Kodi plugin from auto-updating, or update Emby server.

Anyways, I have a bit of a non-standard setup. My media is largely on Google Drive and Emby server accesses it in the local filesystem using a FUSE mount by Plexdrive. Like I said before since version 3.2.40.0 scanning takes hours and during scans Plexdrive generates lots of network traffic so it looks like Emby is reading large parts of the video files causing Plexdrive to download all that data from Google Drive.

Did something change in the media scanner since version 3.2.40.0 causing this? And could it be reverted?

Hi there @@jant90, we're sorry to hear about this. In order for us to best help you, please attach the information requested in how to report a problem. Thanks.

Thank you, I'm willing to send my log but I have privacy concerns, can I send it in a private message?

Also an update on the case: I just replaced Emby 3.2.50.0 .NET Core with Emby 3.2.50.0 Mono (built and run with Mono 5.4.1) and that one scans my library fine and within 4 minutes, and after adjusting some Mono environment variables in less than 3 minutes again.

Yes you can. Please be advised that if you are staying on the mono version, our highest supported version of the mono runtime is 4.8.1. Thanks.

• Like 1

thatoneguy99

My scan also takes considerably more time that it use to. All of my media is on the same hardware as the Emby server software. It now takes roughly 15minutes to complete. I will attach a log here this evening.

Sent from my phone!

• Like 1

Guest plexman

No problems here, 2min 30s on average scan. 1600 movies, 250 shows. Using version 3.2.50.0

Edited by plexman

Yes you can. Please be advised that if you are staying on the mono version, our highest supported version of the mono runtime is 4.8.1. Thanks.

Thanks @@Luke. I just replaced the Mono version with .NET Core again just to grab the logs and sent them to you in a pm. Here's what I did:

1. Installed Emby .NET Core.
  2. Deleted all old logs.
  3. Started Emby .NET Core.
  4. Started a library scan.
  5. Stopped library scan after about 7 minutes.
  6. Stopped Emby. NET Core though the dashboard.
  7. Grabbed the log file.

Regarding the Mono version, before I changed to .NET Core I ran Emby with Mono 5.4.1 for a couple of weeks without any issues. Even though I read on the forum that it's not officially supported I had the feeling (perhaps a placebo effect though) that Emby actually runs a little faster/smoother than it did with Mono 4.8.1. Note that Emby was built using Mono 5.4.1's xbuild on my local machine (so I didn't install a pre-built package), this resulted in a smaller package and installation size than the standard package (which probably was built with Mono 4.8.1's xbuild) as well.

Please try removing all installed plugins, and shut down any instances of Emby for Kodi to prevent it from trying to sync. Then run a library scan. Thanks.

Please try removing all installed plugins, and shut down any instances of Emby for Kodi to prevent it from trying to sync. Then run a library scan. Thanks.

Thanks @@Luke but unfortunately that makes no difference, that was one of the first things I tried after installing 3.2.40.0.

For the sake of getting a log file I just retried it with 3.2.50.0 though. PM'd you the log again.

Correct, like last time I stopped the library scan after 8 minutes because I didn't want to keep my server offline too long.

In those 8 minutes the scan quickly progressed to 68% and from there it slowly increased with 0.1% every few minutes. After those 8 minutes it was still at 68.1% or 68.2%. I could leave it scanning but several hours later it would still be hanging around 70%.

With Emby Mono and with Emby .NET Core <3.2.40.0 it finishes in about 3 minutes.

Edited by jant90