Useful tip for the amazon fire and emby

tdiguy

One thing i have had issues with a few times is that when the fire goes to sleep because of inactivity it seems like the emby app doesnt always wake up properly when the fire starts to get used again. 

My wife also has a habit of turning off the tv without exiting emby thus tying up the tuner for hours.

I found a semi low tech solution for both issues, energy saving power strips. The kind that has a control plug a couple always on plugs and a few switched plugs. The TV is the control, the fire is switched ( and the fan i have for the fire ) and a few other things are switched like the dvd player that now goes virtually unused. Now when she turns the tv off the fire turns off which frees up the tuner :) 8$ fix for an annoying problem and who knows maybe i will save a penny or two on electricity.

Hi.  Are you still have issues with the app not waking up properly with the latest version?

The app now shuts itself down after 18 minutes of inactivity (which should be a couple minutes before the device goes to sleep) which should avoid that problem.

As for your second "tying up the tuner" issue, the app now has an option called "Runaway playback prevention" that should clear that up as well (at least eventually).

I honestly dont know if i would still have those issues any more :) The power strip takes care of both very nicely since my wife normally turns the tv off.

The double edge sword on the runaway playback is that its honestly not uncommon for the kids to watch 1 channel ( nick or disney ) for multiple hours with virtually no interaction with the tv or fire.

The double edge sword on the runaway playback is that its honestly not uncommon for the kids to watch 1 channel ( nick or disney ) for multiple hours with virtually no interaction with the tv or fire.

It produces a dialog on the screen and all they have to do is click something on the remote and it will keep going.