Transcoding for some reason on Sony KD-75XE9005

Maugrim
Go to solution Solved by ebr,

Hi 

For some reason I have problems watching some movies that is supposed to be supported on my TV. 

I've uploaded logs from the app twice now since I ran into a new problem showing that my TV/Emby for Android TV sometimes works.

First upload of logs was sent around 18:00 - 18:30 and the other around 19:00.

The first upload shows that I try to watch a episode of Game of thrones and Emby transcodes it even though both audio, video, and container is supposed to be supported on the TV.

The second upload was when I wanted to reassure myself that sometimes the particular combination plays without transcoding, this time a episode of House of Cards, but at first there was only audio. After stopping and another try it played without transcoding (and with both audio and video)

Thanks in advance

Hi, your first attempt failed because the player encountered an error I've never seen before.  It may be some sort of data corruption via the network, I guess:

12-11 18:33:52.467 18290 18290 I System.out: state [0.32, true, B]
12-11 18:33:52.484 18290 27692 E ExoPlayerImplInternal: Source error.
12-11 18:33:52.484 18290 27692 E ExoPlayerImplInternal: com.google.android.exoplayer2.source.UnrecognizedInputFormatException: Input does not start with the #EXTM3U header.

Need to see the transcode log for that exact playback to know why it was transcoding in the first place but my guess is because you have the app set to downmix to stereo audio.

Sorry, I thought that all relevant log files were uploaded via the Upload log button in app! 

I guess I could be blind but where can I choose downmixing in the app? 

I do have a Denon receiver connected via HDMI (arc) if that matters.

logs.zip

In the app options screen there is a selection for "Audio".  It can be either "Direct" or "Downmix".  If it is set to Direct then that means that your TV is only advertising support for stereo.  If it is set to Downmix then set it back to Direct and see how it behaves.

If it is set to Direct then that means that your TV is only advertising support for stereo.

From the log you sent: 

12-11 17:45:07.139 18290 18290 I System.out: Max Audio Channels reported as: 2

Perhaps there are settings in the TV itself...?

I did a factory reset on my TV and then just installed Emby on it. Now I think the log says that I have 8 speakers but it still transcodes due to h264 not supported

The Emby app doesn't want to send logs for the moment (nothing happens when I press Yes in the Send Log to Dev dialog) so I hope the ones from the server is enough

server-63648724163.txt

ffmpeg-transcode-0a01cbdb-0aa1-4e6f-a20e-cf9fa28273b7.txt

I did a factory reset on my TV and then just installed Emby on it. Now I think the log says that I have 8 speakers but it still transcodes due to h264 not supported

The Emby app doesn't want to send logs for the moment (nothing happens when I press Yes in the Send Log to Dev dialog) so I hope the ones from the server is enough

This video is h264 with high 10 profile which we don't see very often. can you provide a sample video for testing? thanks !

• Solution

Thanks for the sample.

Unfortunately, none of the devices I tested (Fire, Nexus Player and Shield) are able to play that profile of h.264.  I would be very surprised if your TV could as well so that is why it is being transcoded.

I put the video on a USB stick and tried to play it directly on the TV but it didn't work. Got a dialog stating "Cannot play video"