Processor Server/PC

RyonM

Hello,

I don't know what processor i should go with for my server.

I got now a G4560 in my pc. And i'm planning on upgrading it to an i3 7350k or the i5 7400.

Is it worth upgrading to one of those, and which one should I upgrade to?

Ryon

Uhm, I think around 3 or 4 streams at a time at max. I'm streaming bluray disks and when i want to skip a part it takes some time to load.

So I think it is my CPU. I'm also using intel Quicksync. 

I am using files. Mostly i am using the the browser interface or through DLNA mediaplayer from my xbone. I dont think my xbone is transcoding

Edited by RyonM

Guest asrequested

The server will be doing the transcoding. If your player doesn't support all aspects of your media, the server will transcode it in some way, to make it playable. So you aren't using any of the emby apps?

Guest asrequested

OK, well watching through a browser will mean that much of your media will be transcoded, as there is a lot they don't support. So you'll want a good CPU to handle that. With what you have, your GPU may be good enough if you have QuickSync enabled in the server transcode section. Have you tried that?

Yes I have, but is it worth upgrading to one of those?  i3 7350k or the i5 7400. The i3 has higher clock speed and hyperthreading. The i5 is quad core on it's own. I also have a nvidia gpu. But i read that the nvenc only could do 2 transcodes at a time.

Guest asrequested

For GPU transcoding, Intel is the way forward. Yours is kaby lake, but the CPU only has two cores. If you were to upgrade, the i5 would be the better choice. It also is kaby lake, but is a stronger CPU. The answer to your question isn't a simple yes or no.

• Like 2

Swynol

my old i3 3420 used to handle around 2-3 transcodes with hardware transcoding on.

now have a i5 3570k which does 4-5. not really pushed it any harder than that. i usually only have 2-3 streams at a time

• Like 2