Shield TV not always Direct playing my recordings

andyblac644

andyblac644

as title, having issues with Direct play of a recording, I have attached logs any one have any ideas ?

Think is I read correct it saying no support for TS, or H264, or AC3, but it strange as other recording direct play fine.

Thanks in advance.

Andy.

logs.zip

Edited by andyblac644

I cannot see a specific reason in this case.

The video is interlaced but the most recent version of the app should allow that on the Shield.  Can you get me the file via dropbox or something?

andyblac644

when I try to play I get a spinner for about 30 seconds, then a dialog box say's something like "you seem to be having trouble playing this item" YES/NO. if I choose yes it starts a transcode.

here is the recording

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1GPuGsTV9vaWWjZEcv9zrlvWvJcw5uo5P

Edited by andyblac644

when I try to play I get a spinner for about 30 seconds, then a dialog box say's something like "you seem to be having trouble playing this item" YES/NO. if I choose yes it starts a transcode.

Okay, well that explains why it is transcoding.  The app will fall back to that if direct playing fails.  I'll see if I can reproduce the failure and let you know why.  Thx.

• Like 1

@@ebr did you have any luck ?

Sorry, been trouble-shooting several of these lately.  What was the name of the sample you gave me?

andyblac644

Sorry, been trouble-shooting several of these lately.  What was the name of the sample you gave me?

hi Emby_Recording.zip

Thanks.  I did try this.

I don't know why the stream won't play.  Nothing about it indicates that it shouldn't - other than the container which we try to remux.  The remuxed item simply never starts in the player (no error is thrown).  Then you get the dialog and force it to transcode and it plays fine.

Other than what we are doing (allowing you to correct for it) I don't see anything about this that would indicate that we shouldn't be able to direct stream it (with a container swap).

andyblac644

Thanks.  I did try this.

I don't know why the stream won't play.  Nothing about it indicates that it shouldn't - other than the container which we try to remux.  The remuxed item simply never starts in the player (no error is thrown).  Then you get the dialog and force it to transcode and it plays fine.

Other than what we are doing (allowing you to correct for it) I don't see anything about this that would indicate that we shouldn't be able to direct stream it (with a container swap).

yeah strange ain't it, it happens on quite a few recordings, but not all. anything I can do here, maybe you could some debug as it records, that I could get for you?

• 2 weeks later...
andyblac644

@@ebr the LG app, seem to have no issues playing these recordings, is there nothing we can debug ? how about remuxing to a MKV on the fly instead of transcoding ?

Edited by andyblac644

I think the only thing we can do here at this point is see if future player updates resolve it.  There may be a major one in the not too distant future.

• Like 1