Ignore list

Guest Arg

Hi,

It would be great if each user could tag any file into an "Ignore list". Then these files would disappear and could only be seen in an "Ignore list" section (maybe next to the Favorites link on the top of each section).

Thx

Edited by Arg

Well, if I ignored some media by mistake (or if I suddenly change my mind), it would be useful to have a list of the ignored files somewhere.

Edited by Arg

• 2 weeks later...

OK I will just create a directory per user and dump all the files I don't want to see there.

But it's not a practical solution (using the command line every time) compared to a simple ignored checkbox.

• 3 years later...
arkayenro

it would be nice to have something that allows you to ignore a show, and unignore (just as with played/unplayed) so that when you have multiple users i can block out the shows they like but that i have no absolutely interest in seeing.  a simple filter option for it would be fine.

using played isnt exactly viable (i've tried) as when a new season of that show starts it pops up in your list of things to watch - because you played it so you must want to see it again logic

single account systems would obviously have no need for this but it would be very helpful in multi user systems - i dont need to see those reality/romance shows, nor do other users wish to see all my sci fi shows.

not sure why this hasnt been requested more often unless multi user is an exceeding low use case for emby, or people using it have the exact same tastes in shows?

On 04/12/2017 at 01:17, ebr said:

If it is being ignored, why would it have a special section in the main UI? 

maybe not an entire special section but you would need the ability to undo it, as with played/unplayed, due to mis-clicking, or just general user clumsiness in general.  plus people change their minds and may want to try it out later so would need some way to be able to see it again.

Edited by arkayenro
  • Like 1

GrimReaper
10 minutes ago, arkayenro said:

it would be nice to have something that allows you to ignore a show, and unignore (just as with played/unplayed) so that when you have multiple users i can block out the shows they like but that i have no absolutely interest in seeing.  a simple filter option for it would be fine.

using played isnt exactly viable (i've tried) as when a new season of that show starts it pops up in your list of things to watch - because you played it so you must want to see it again logic

single account systems would obviously have no need for this but it would be very helpful in multi user systems - i dont need to see those reality/romance shows, nor do other users wish to see all my sci fi shows.

not sure why this hasnt been requested more often unless multi user is an exceeding low use case for emby, or people using it have the exact same tastes in shows?

maybe not an entire special section but you would need the ability to undo it, as with played/unplayed, due to mis-clicking, or just general user clumsiness in general.  plus people change their minds and may want to try it out later so would need some way to be able to see it again.

Why don't you use tags and tag-based access control (per user setting) for that? 

Edited by GrimReaper
Append

arkayenro
4 hours ago, GrimReaper said:

Why don't you use tags and tag-based access control (per user setting) for that? 

didnt know they existed.

it might be viable, luckily i only have two users so logically i can block their shows from me and mine from them.

would be horrible to try and set this up for more than two users though (as you can only block or allow all the tags you set).

GrimReaper
5 minutes ago, arkayenro said:

it might be viable, luckily i only have two users so logically i can block their shows from me and mine from them.

would be horrible to try and set this up for more than two users though (as you can only block or allow all the tags you set).

It is per user setting, so you can easily block/unblock multiple tags: those for you, those for any particular user or common for multiple users; it is extremely flexible, you can play with any combination you fancy. 

Edit: To apply/remove tags on multiple items, you can find great community-made tool here:

Just check on the latest posts, updated version is usually somewhere there. 

Edited by GrimReaper
Link

arkayenro
2 minutes ago, ebr said:

Or, physical structure with our folder-based access control can work too.

sorry, but theres no way i am ripping apart a standardised folder structure for that purpose when it "should" be very simple for the overlying application that is showing me the data (ie emby in this case) to do that instead.  it already filters what i can see based on played/unplayed, this isnt all that different (except it appears you cant do inverted filtering, ie do NOT show this tag).

its a pity this can (apparently) only be done at the user access (parental controls) level - it means its not easily undone (as you can no longer access it)

arkayenro
5 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

It is per user setting, so you can easily block/unblock multiple tags: those for you, those for any particular user or common for multiple users; it is extremely flexible, you can play with any combination you fancy. 

can you explain where/how please?  the parental controls appear to only allow blocking or unblocking of all tags you list (and it doesnt let you select from existing tags).  if it can be done that granularly then it sounds like it would work for what i need.

Edited by arkayenro

GrimReaper
13 minutes ago, arkayenro said:

can you explain where/how please?  the parental controls appear to only allow blocking or unblocking of all tags you list (and it doesnt let you select from existing tags)

I'm not sure I'm following you, so I'll assume some workflow hoping that's what you're after:

1) For yourself, create tag "Me" and tag all items that you don't wanna see (with the above tool, it should take you a minute or two); make a Block-tag rule and Save and that's it, you will NOT see any of those items, while all the other users will

2) For Anna, ditto, make a tag "Anna", tag desired items and make Block-rule under user Anna; you will still see those, she won't 

3) For Bob, likewise

4) For common items you don't want anyone but yourself to see, make tag "Anyone" and add Block-rule to users Anna and Bob, in addition to existing rules. 

Don't know how else to explain, it is per user rule and applies only to that particular user. 

Once you change your mind for ANY item, just remove rule/tag from that item. 

Edited by GrimReaper
Typo
  • Like 1

arkayenro

parental controls only allows you to not see items with certain tags, so i presume that is not the "rules" that you are talking about?

are "rules" a premium feature?  i cant seem to find them anywhere.

using tags for this purpose means the user must be given admin rights to the library (so they can edit the metadata) - not something i really want to do

for them to undo the parental controls to remove a blocked tag they also need to be a server admin - again, not something i want to do

having an ignore/unignore or hide/unhide option would be a much simpler way to handle this.  the intent after all is not to completely deny them access to this media but for them to have a way (that does not require special permissions to undo) to not see certain media that they **currently** have no intention of watching, but may change their mind about that later.

Edited by arkayenro

GrimReaper
48 minutes ago, arkayenro said:

parental controls only allows you to not see items with certain tags, so i presume that is not the "rules" that you are talking about?

are "rules" a premium feature?  i cant seem to find them anywhere.

No, that's it, you as an admin should set those up. 

48 minutes ago, arkayenro said:

the intent after all is not to completely deny them access to this media but for them to have a way (that does not require special permissions to undo) to not see certain media that they **currently** have no intention of watching, but may change their mind about that later.

Tbh, I find that the inverse logic of how it should actually work, with them deciding what they DON'T want to watch instead of what they DO want - and for that there are multiple ways: adding to Favorites and Playlists, neither of which requires special permission nor Admin rights. And they would only ever see what interests them. My 2c.

Edited by GrimReaper

• 1 year later...