Library scan behavior

Okeur75

Hi guys,

Below are some behavior of Emby I find a bit strange. Could you please confirm if it's normal or a bug ?

(I'm using 3.2.40.0)

1) When you add or delete a library, Emby goes for a full scan of ALL your libraries.

2) When you modify an item inside one of your libraries (for example you rename a movie), Emby goes for a whole rescan of this library. It seems that it's not able to see that only one item have changed (or which one have changed).

2 bis) When you modify multiple items in one library, for example you rename 10 movies, Emby goes for 10 rescan of the whole library. It seems that renaming a movie triggers a rescan, but each time you rename a movie, the same trigger is started and queued with the previous one.

3) The progress bar of the scan library goes from 0 to 90% in 5sec and the last 10% are actually the real time Emby needs to scan your library. Is there a way to improve this and make it more precise ?

I can provide log if required (I enabled debug mode recently to take a deep look) but there is no entry about the problems above.

Emby is a wonderful tool and I would like to say congratulations to all the dev behind though ;)

Best regards,

• Like 1

When you modify multiple items in one library, for example you rename 10 movies, Emby goes for 10 rescan of the whole library. It seems that renaming a movie triggers a rescan, but each time you rename a movie, the same trigger is started and queued with the previous one.

It would appear that it will run a library scan for each item that you add regardless of the  library that the items were added to. I just finished adding 22 episodes into my TV library and Emby has scanned the Movie library at least 10 times by now. The TV library has yet to be scanned, just the Movie Library. I did go into "Manage Files" under the Movie Library and turn off "Enable real time monitoring" jus now. I am not sure if that will do anything about the scans or not.

1) When you add or delete a library, Emby goes for a full scan of ALL your libraries.

Normal but it's something we can improve in a future release.

2) When you modify an item inside one of your libraries (for example you rename a movie), Emby goes for a whole rescan of this library. It seems that it's not able to see that only one item have changed (or which one have changed).

2 bis) When you modify multiple items in one library, for example you rename 10 movies, Emby goes for 10 rescan of the whole library. It seems that renaming a movie triggers a rescan, but each time you rename a movie, the same trigger is started and queued with the previous one.

Not normal. If you can discuss an example and attach the information requested in how to report a problem, then we'll be happy to investigate. thanks !

Hey,

Thank you both for your replies. I'm "glad" to see that Beav is experiencing the same behavior.

Luke: I can do this of course but as I said in the first message, there is no error coming up in the logs (even in debug mode), but you will see if I add 2 movies for examples that the scan is done 2 times. I don't know if it will help you a lot.

So I will add 2 movies for the experience but It will take time, the movie library scan lasts 24-30h for me :/

See you in 60 hours!

Try going to library -> metadata in the emby server dashboard and disabling features that you don't need.

Ok so here we go !

Attached you will find the log.

At 10:16:36:281 I deleted the movie "127 hours" from the database, and it goes for a full rescan that stopped between 12pm and 2pm (I was not in front of it when it stopped)

At 15:15:42:673 I added back "127 hours" AND "1408" to the movie library and it stopped at 19h24 as said in the logs.

Between the timestamps there are some log entries caused by a user but I did not erase anything.

Hope it helps

log-emby.txt

Ok so there's a slight exaggeration here. It does not rescan the entire database, but it rescans the parent folder of the affected location.

Yes that's right and that's what I said in the first post.

I never said that adding a movie in one library trigger a rescan of all libraries. I said it triggers a rescan of the concerned library. But you can see that when I added 2 movies to the movie library, it lasted from 15h to 19h, whereas when I added only one movie it lasted from 10 to 12.

However, what triggers a rescan of the whole database (all libraries) is adding or removing a library. I can do this and provide you the logs if you want.

Maybe I did not provide enough details or I'm not clear enough, if so I'm sorry.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi,

Just an update to say that the behavior described above is still present in 3.2.70.0

A  rescan of your library is triggered when you remove an item from it.

It seems like Emby can see there is a change on the file system, but is not able to see if it's a file that has been added, removed, or renamed, and thus it triggers a rescan.

Regards,

PenkethBoy

which is what you want - so it picks up the change

the real time monitor i suspect does not give the location other than which library folder has a change as this is what Emby monitors (you can see this in the logs) - so it scans all the folders and files below to see what's changed

if it takes a long time to scan your library thats a different issue