No thumbnails in Emby on Fire TV stick

Jonny67
Go to solution Solved by Jonny67,

Hello, first post here and I've just subscribed to Emby for a month as a trial but liking it very much so far. I have a QNAP NAS TS453-Pro running Emby Server. I have an HTPC, Windows 10 PC, Galaxy S5 phone, Galaxy Tab 2, Fire TV (the wired box) all running Emby client successfully. However my Fire TV stick does not show any thumbnails at all.

I noticed it a few weeks back when I first installed it on my previous Fire TV stick and I thought it was hardware related so I purchased the latest Fire TV stick last week but I get the same issue...no thumbnails. I also have Kodi on this Fire TV stick and I have installed the Emby add-on and this does give me thumbnails. So the issue is with the Emby client for the Fire TV stick, any ideas?

post-261239-0-96648100-1512038929_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jonny67

I don't see anything unusual on the server side but I cannot find an app log sent at that time.  What was the name of the Emby user logged in?

Were you logged in and sent the log from the button on the home screen (as opposed to using the button on the login screen)?

I cannot find the log on our end - which may actually be related to the issue you are seeing as something may be blocking some network interactions.  Did you get a little message pop up saying that the log was sent successfully?

I tried again. I clicked the "Send Log" button from both the login screen and the home screen and yes you are correct I got an error message "unable to send log". I do not have anything which can possibly block the Fire TV stick as all our devices are on our LAN and all using the 192.168.0.0/24 range. Amazon Prime video works ok too.

How big are the Fire TV logs? I only ask because we do not have fibre broadband here yet (due in January) so we only get 0.6mbps upload if that matters? However I am able to chat here and upload the server logs.

I connected my older stick to my works wifi in my office and installed Emby server on my laptop on the same wifi. It connects with thumbnails/cover art so the problem must be at my house with my home wifi. I have no idea what though?

Not sure but something is definitely slow or blocked on your home network.  Make sure your router isn't restricting traffic for that device.

If you are trying to use SSL, try it with plain http.

I'm not using any SSL stuff that I know of.

I have an update though. I installed Emby server on my PC at home and my Fire TV stick was working great with all thumbnails/cover art showing so my wifi is fine. I sent you a log at exactly 7pm UK time and I got a message saying it was sent, please check.

So this leads me to believe there is a problem between the Fire TV stick (both versions, as I have both setup right now) and my QNAP NAS.

Sorry to cause you more work but any ideas welcome...thank you.

Yes, I received that log but, since everything is working fine, it doesn't tell us anything :).

I'm not sure how the connection to your server would impact the ability of the device to get out directly to other sites though.  I'm stumped...

Can you tell me how to retrieve the Fire TV stick's log, other than clicking the Send Log button? If you can give me the fire tv sticks path to the logs for Emby stuff I'm sure I can find a way to get it.

We use the standard syslogging on the device.

The way to access it is to install the Android Debug Bridge on a computer and then you can monitor it in real time.

Thanks.

Good news I finally have it working. I still don't know why though. I created a new account both on my NAS with full RW access and on Emby server. I logged in with that account and everything was working. I logged out and back in as admin again and this time it worked. 

Anyway it's working and that's all that matters. Thanks so much for your help, it's nice to see such quick and helpful responses here  :)

• 2 months later...

I have Sky Q hub and Sky broadband and Wifi.

Unfortunately Emby still doesn't work, it did for a day but stopped again. I didn't bother pursuing it as I went away with work then Christmas holidays and on our return I used my hard wired Fire TV box instead of the stick but now I'm a a bit fed up that it doesn't work as I need the Fire Stick for my daughter.

I also have a Fire TV box which works over Ethernet hard wired but as soon as I unplug the cable and go into settings and connect via WiFi Emby no longer works correctly as it no longer shows cover art nor plays the media, just like the Fire TV Stick. So I immediately thought WiFi is the problem with Emby, or more specifically Sky Wifi.

So tonight I took a drastic action. I connected a second WiFi router to my Sky Q Hub, a Netgear Nighthawk AC1900, model D7000, a fantastic modem/router. I turned off WiFi on the SkyQ hub and after some configuration changes I was able to connect all our devices in the house to the Internet using the Netgear router as thew WiFi hotspot. 

Emby still did not work. Everything else work though. I have submitted a log before and nothing was found so maybe no point in sending another?

I know this is not an easy one but please help. I love Emby :)

@@Jonny67 can you please provide a new log? given that some time has elapsed, can you please provide a new description for what "doesn't work" means? thanks. 

in the meantime  what "doesn't work" is that non of my Fire TV's (Stick or box, latest Gen too) works with Emby over Wifi but the Fire TV box does work using wired Ethernet. I thought it was because of my Sky WiFi not coping but my tests with the Netgear router prove it's not.

Edited by Jonny67

Ok, when you submit the log from an example, please make sure to also attach the server and ffmpeg log (if there was one) here. thanks.

To also add something which might help before I send the logs, all my other devices (Samsung Galaxy phone, Samsung Galaxy Tablet, Samsung laptop, Asus laptop, Lenovo Tablet) allrun Emby over Wifi perfectly.

Ok, when you submit the log from an example, please make sure to also attach the server and ffmpeg log (if there was one) here. thanks.

will do :)

To also add something which might help before I send the logs, all my other devices (Samsung Galaxy phone, Samsung Galaxy Tablet, Samsung laptop, Asus laptop, Lenovo Tablet) allrun Emby over Wifi perfectly.

They probably don't deal with images at the same size that that the TV app does.

It does sound like bad wifi which could be due to interference which would explain why you didn't see a difference when switching hardware.