Questions about the Backup plug-in

IQ2000

Hi,

there seems to be a bug or a few bugs when restoring emby through the Backup Plugin.

1. The Licence Key seems to be entered. But Apps like the Android TV app ask for buying Premiere again. Can be only resolved by removing and adding the key again.

2. When you have series which you have matched manually, the restore process does not care about this manual match. e.g. "The Returned (US)" always gets the french series after the backup. Other example: The Flash (2015) gets the wrong matching where there is the "old flash" from the 90s in the cover. (There are plenty others)

This btw. leads to losing all "watched"-Information so the backup is kind of senseless.

Thanks!

Edited by IQ2000

Hi, for #2, this does not have anything to do with backup and restore. The restore process does not restore your library database. This is built from the ground up again when you setup your library with the new server and run a scan again.

I see, that's what I was thinking.

Nevertheless it's an unpleasant effect if the library matching does not work on some elements.

Even if you identify it again with the correct tvdb-id, all the information (watched-status) is gone.

Not sure how Emby saves the associations between folders and meta-data but it would be nice if the backup plugin would backup the association at least between the folder and the correct meta data id.

I've noticed that if you create a folder without any media file (like "Series Name/Season 1") it creates an entry.

Thanks!

naeonline

I see, that's what I was thinking.

Nevertheless it's an unpleasant effect if the library matching does not work on some elements.

Even if you identify it again with the correct tvdb-id, all the information (watched-status) is gone.

Not sure how Emby saves the associations between folders and meta-data but it would be nice if the backup plugin would backup the association at least between the folder and the correct meta data id.

I've noticed that if you create a folder without any media file (like "Series Name/Season 1") it creates an entry.

Thanks!

This is why it is recommended that you use the option to save the metadata with your media files.  On the off chance you have to rebuild your server, all that matching is already done and saved in the .nfo files and the information available locally.  It will also drastically speed up the initial scan for you when rebuilding.

• Like 1

Makes sense.

The last time I checked, the files were put directly into the folders which made the folder a mess.

Is it still that way or is there any possibility to save it in a hidden subfolder (e.g. ".emby-metadata")?

That's not true.  As long as the items were identified correctly in the first place, if you get them re-identified correctly, their watched status (and all other user data like favorites, etc.) will return.

Is it still that way or is there any possibility to save it in a hidden subfolder (e.g. ".emby-metadata")?

There is an option to save metadata files as hidden.

Something to keep in mind is that this plug-in is designed to backup your server configuration (hence the name :)) not your metadata or library content.

Thanks.