Must I also install Media Browser client?

ijskonijn

ijskonijn

I've just installed Media Browser 3 server. Must I also install the client version?

I use this on 1 computer, and is used to collect movie information.

It depends on what you want to do.  If you will only ever use the web interface, then, no, you don't have to install any other client.  But, that would be a very limited use of the features available.

There are clients for WMC (MBC), native Windows (MBT), Windows 8.1 touch devices, Android, iOS, the Roku, etc...  All allowing you to access and play your media in a number of different environments.

What is MB and what do I need?

• Like 1

ijskonijn

I have Windows 7 Ultimate. I don't have Windows Media Center, so Media Browser Classic is out of the question. And Media Browser Theater is Beta.
So can I install XBMC or XBMB3C as client?

Why don't you have WMC with w7 ultimate???

Sent by my HTC8X using Tapatalk

I have Windows 7 Ultimate. I don't have Windows Media Center, so Media Browser Classic is out of the question. And Media Browser Theater is Beta.

So can I install XBMC or XBMB3C as client?

Yes you can install Xbmc and then add the XBMB3C add-on.

ijskonijn

Why don't you have WMC with w7 ultimate???

Oh, sorry. I didn't know I had WMC. Never used any sort of media center, so I'm a big noob. After your comment I looked and saw it.

ijskonijn

Yes you can install Xbmc and then add the XBMB3C add-on.

With Media Browser I can manage media. With XBMC also.

What is the advantage of these 2 together? You even mention 3 things together, Media Browser + XBMC + XBMB3C.

I would just install mediabrowser classic for Windows mediacenter if you are a noob! That will be easiest and start the learning curve from there....

XBMB3C is a plugin for Xbmc, so it is just two applications, server and client. The advantage is streaming and playback to all of the various platforms we support, including mobile and tablet. even if that doesn't interest you, the web based management capabilities are also an advantage.

I interpret your question the other direction - as in, if I'm using MB, why would I install XBMC.  If that is correct, then the answer is you don't need to.  Luke just offered it as an option since you said you didn't want to use MBT.  If I were you, I'd use either MBT or MBC as those are our actual clients.  We just also support using XBMC (actually a competing product) as a front end to us.  So, if you already used that and liked it, you could.

ijskonijn

Thanks everyone for the help.

What I want is something that can also change the folder names where the movies are stored into the right name (if possible with the year), and if possible also change the mediafile name into the movie name. Also keep in mind that the video_ts folder may not be changed.

Example. Change this:

\movies

\A Few Best

2.iso

\Evil Dead

video_ts

into:

\movies

\A Few Best Men (2011)

A Few Best man.iso

\The Evil Dead (1981)

video_ts

Is this possible with Media Browser Classic?

And a problem that I've already approached is that when trying to play the 2 movies mentioned above (only installed Media Browser Server), the player shows up at the bottom of the screen but didn't play anyhing.

Thanks everyone for the help.

What I want is something that can also change the folder names where the movies are stored into the right name (if possible with the year), and if possible also change the mediafile name into the movie name. Also keep in mind that the video_ts folder may not be changed.

Example. Change this:

\movies

\A Few Best

2.iso

\Evil Dead

video_ts

into:

\movies

\A Few Best Men (2011)

A Few Best man.iso

\The Evil Dead (1981)

video_ts

Is this possible with Media Browser Classic?

And a problem that I've already approached is that when trying to play the 2 movies mentioned above (only installed Media Browser Server), the player shows up at the bottom of the screen but didn't play anyhing.

Yes.

mbc is the player. the server does all the legwork changing filenames etc...

I said use mbc as I thought u might be getting a bit confused with what program does what !

server= media management

wmc+mbclassic = media player

that is currently along with lav filters the most stable/mature playback experience

ijskonijn

Ok, I've installed mbc. So I do have to use the server for changing folder and file names.

I find no settings to do this?

Good day,

My reply was that the server support that type of media folder as dvdrip and a like.

My best

pmac

In your example of "A Few Best Men" something like this may be difficult, since your folder and file name is only part of the actual movie title... I can't think of a program or plugin that would be able to "guess" what movie it's looking at based on a title it can't recognize. Manually changing the folder names is the only method that I can think of.  Hopefully someone else can chime in and come up with a less labor-intensive method for you. 

pmac

I could be wrong, so don't quote me on this. But I think the auto organize feature currently only works on TV series, so it won't be able to rename movies for you. But even if it could, it can only rename it if it knows what movie it is, so without any Metadata to get the title from, or a filename with the full movie title, it would have no idea what movie it's looking at. When I first set up my collection to work with the old Media browser I had all my titles as individual files in one folder, but they were all named with the full title, so I was able to run a BAT command that created folders based on the file name and separated them all into individual folders that MB recognizes, so I was able to collect Metadata for my titles.

Edited by pmac

We don't change the folder or file names, but that is not what is displayed to you in the interfaces, so their names don't really matter that much - except that they do need to be such that they can be recognized.  As stated before, there isn't much way that software alone can arrive at "A Few Best Men" from just "A few best".  We might get some of them but you have to give us some sort of reasonable movie name to start with.

Please read the tutorial for the server and, in particular, the Media Folders Structure Guide

ijskonijn

I've changed the folder and moviefile names with Ember Media Manager, it also let you choose the movie title if there are multiple choices.

Maybe nice features for Media Browser.

ijskonijn

Yes.

And is it in this new release possible to change the folder and movie file into the name of the movie, where the folder name shows the year and movie file not?

Example.

Change:

\movies

\Meet The Spartans

\852.iso

into:

\movies

\Meet The Spartans (2008)

\Meet The Spartans.iso

No.  We won't actually rename the files or folders.  This isn't necessary as we don't display the actual physical file system names.