Debian repo update beware...

doonze

TL;DR Installed the deb downloaded from the Emby website, then later got my apt-get Emby repo working again and updated it from there also (Cause even tho they were same version, apt-get didn't think so). Lost everything. Had to start from scratch. Use server backup plug-in! Or do the manual backup if switching to the repo!!!!!

Sooo.... just a heads up. I was having issues with apt-get updating Emby (mainly at some point I guess the exact repo address has changed and the key was expired) also my version was outdated enough that the version it wanted me to go to was no longer in the repo. Anyway, yesterday I manually updated by downloading the deb file. No biggie, my database got corrupted, but with the help of Luke I was able to get it resolved. So all was good.

Today I decided to finally get around to getting some apt-get issues resolved I had. Both plex and emby had new repo links since I had setup my server, and I had some expired keys and some duplicates. Got all that straightened out. Ran an update/upgrade and it wanted to update Emby. (I guess the deb file and the repo are slightly different, same version but not the same. I'm sure it's a signature thing from the repo)

Well, I want to use the repo, cause lazy, so I updated. First off, it disabled the server in systemctl, and didn't restart it. Huh, I thought... weird. So I started it manually, and enabled it.

Annnnndddd... it lost ALL my settings. Acted like a brand new install. Crap! And of course I had no server backup. So had to setup everything fresh. Not the end of the world, but annoying. So just be aware. I suggest a server backup too. 

Edited by doonze

Thanks for the info. We are looking into having the new package use the same program data location as the old one so that it won't seem like a brand new install. thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

It's kinda weird. I had a repo version, updated to the download Deb version. Still had all my settings. Then switched out to the updated repo version and lost it all. I would have thought the program data for the two repo versions would have been in the same place at least, and it would have been the Deb version that lost settings.

But you seem to know what's up Luke. So I'll trust you guys get it all sorted.

Thanks for all you do!