what happened to metabrowser? where is fatal?

Goros

So apparently XML files aren't the cool kids on the block anymore for metadata, so there's no point in paying him anything since a development basically stopped a couple years ago.

Is there any standalone app that can build metadata like metabrowser did that emby will use? Or does emby just fish it all?

• 2 years later...
On 11/20/2017 at 4:07 AM, Goros said:

Is there any standalone app that can build metadata like metabrowser did that emby will use? Or does emby just fish it all?

I'm using EMM for this after metabrowser died.

AdrianW

I must admit that I'm still using MetaBrowser as I'm reluctant to move to Emby for metadata fetching and editing.

The main thing I like is the ease of setting customised images, especially episode thumbnails. 

I will need to move eventually as my licence runs out in March 2023. 

5 hours ago, Davey's said:

@serpi 

Thanks for the advice, I've never heard of this, are you satisfied with this tool?

which version are you using?

I'm using the lastest 1.5 build.

Sadly, development is slow but DanCooper is very helpfull and tries it's best.

It's working great, once you've understood how to set it up correctly, but you have a tons of options to set it the way you likeit.

Ciao, Alfred

1 hour ago, ebr said:

Why not just use Emby?  Then you know your metadata will always be compatible.

For me, the biggest thing is, I want to have full control of my metadata, not having something added automatically and then I have to check everything, if it is right.

For example, as I'm scraping mostly in german, I like to have most movie data from OFDb.de, which is not available in Emby, also Emby doesnt read metadata (like actors) from IMDB, AFAIR.

Also, I like to have the poster as folder.jpg, the movie data as movie.nfo etc, which Emby can read, but doesn't write.

Ciao, Alfred

34 minutes ago, AdrianW said:

The main thing I like is the ease of setting customised images, especially episode thumbnails. 

This, for example, is pretty easy with EMM, you even have a build in framegrabber, where you can move with a slider in the episode/movie and select the thumbnails you like.

Ciao, Alfred

Davey's
2 hours ago, ebr said:

Why not just use Emby?  Then you know your metadata will always be compatible.

Why does'nt make EMBY a seperate tool which you can run in Windows/MAC to read and write all metadata

Davey's
49 minutes ago, serpi said:

For me, the biggest thing is, I want to have full control of my metadata, not having something added automatically and then I have to check everything, if it is right.

For example, as I'm scraping mostly in german, I like to have most movie data from OFDb.de, which is not available in Emby, also Emby doesnt read metadata (like actors) from IMDB, AFAIR.

Also, I like to have the poster as folder.jpg, the movie data as movie.nfo etc, which Emby can read, but doesn't write.

Ciao, Alfred

AFAIR? what is this, a website or application ? :)

20 minutes ago, Davey's said:

Why does'nt make EMBY a seperate tool which you can run in Windows/MAC to read and write all metadata

That would be very complicated when we can just build it all into Emby Server.

Davey's

Sorry for my statement :)

in itself a bit of  truth ofcourse because the integrated metadata manager  does not give the feel or look of an advanced browser. so I will look further, to be able to organize the database in my way

But the main reason for my excesses is that EMBY does not provide good support. For weeks I have been complaining that after the update (from EMBY server 4.5.0.50) my database can be considered corrupt or lost, REAL support is unfortunately not available people :(

Davey's

Luke, don't get me wrong here, i'm a big fan of Emby and if there is a good way to donate or support you on the way to creating an even more personalized experience then i would be happy to do so.

I would therefore like to propose to create a FAQ or channel for both beginners and advanced users how to deal with certain matters.

If there were also good support from emby, that would be very nice.

On 11/3/2020 at 6:07 PM, Davey's said:

AFAIR? what is this, a website or application ? :)

It's a abbreviation  for: As Far As I Remember 😉

• 2 months later...
AdrianW

Does Emby have a file sorter capability? i.e. some process to pick up my new episodes and move them to the correct season folders in whichever library the series resides?

That's one of the main reason I still use MetaBrowser as I can just dump all my new content in a couple of folders on my PC and MetaBrowser will move it all to the correct locations on my NAS.

3 minutes ago, AdrianW said:

Does Emby have a file sorter capability? i.e. some process to pick up my new episodes and move them to the correct season folders in whichever library the series resides?

That's one of the main reason I still use MetaBrowser as I can just dump all my new content in a couple of folders on my PC and MetaBrowser will move it all to the correct locations on my NAS.

Yes, the AutoOrganize plugin.

playloud

Since I left metabrowser, I have been using tinyMediaManager and it has been just fine for me.

I prefer to RIP media to a specified drive, then set all the metadata and artwork.  When it is ready, I move it to an "active" folder that Emby scans.

I will use Emby to search for collection artwork after I create a collection.

• Like 1