Emby Theater (Gamebrowser) unable to display external player system type

ChrisSHouston

ChrisSHouston

Not sure whether this belongs in Theater or Plugins forum, but since it appears to be a flaw with Theater itself, I'm placing it here. I'm unable to select a "System" type in the external player menu to enable games playback. The issue appears to be identical to the one encountered here: https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/38265-game-systems-not-working/

I've configured the Gamebrowser server plug-in according to the tutorial and have used it properly on this system in the past. I have two different Windows 10 PCs - my desktop and my HTPC, both running Emby Theater. Both PCs are using the same Emby access account, and this account has permissions to access the "Games" folder on the Emby Server.

On the desktop, if I follow the steps to add an external player, things work fine. I select Media Type "Game," input my player path, and choose my game system, flags, etc.

On the HTPC, the "Game System" field doesn't populate - it is blank, and clicking in the box simply brings up a full screen display with the words "Game System:" In other words, there is no pulldown menu listing the systems that are setup on the server.

I recently had to reinstall and clear the configs on the HTPC, but I'm unable to figure out any configuration setting that would be different here. I know there's an ability to generate MPV logs, but I don't know how to output a log for the theater front-end itself. If you need one to assist on this issue, please let me know how and I'll be happy to provide. I've attached the server log - the HTPC's IP is 192.168.1.104.

Alternately, if the external player setup produces e.g. a standalone xml or config file, I'd be happy to create it on the desktop and drop it into the appropriate folder on the HTPC, but I can't seem to locate any such item. Any assistance would be appreciated!

check the emby user that you're using to setup the external player. do they have access to the games library?

ChrisSHouston

Yes, the user (super creatively named "emby") can access the games library. I am testing by logging in as the same "emby" user on both computers. On the desktop, the list of systems populates correctly; on the HTPC, the list of systems remains blank.

The "emby" user can definitely browse, view, etc. the Games library.

Edited by ChrisSHouston

I just notice this last night when I needed to add another game system and have the same issue. I thought it was the latest update but it also does it on the previous version too of ET.

• 2 weeks later...
ChrisSHouston

For what it's worth, the problem eventually resolved itself without any further explanation. I did force the HTPC to get a new IP, so I'm not sure if that triggered some new query against the server for the list of available consoles or if it was simply coincidence, but it couldn't hurt to try.

For what it's worth, the problem eventually resolved itself without any further explanation. I did force the HTPC to get a new IP, so I'm not sure if that triggered some new query against the server for the list of available consoles or if it was simply coincidence, but it couldn't hurt to try.

These are the problems that devs love... hard to replicate... but inexplicably fixes itself.