client recommendations for bedroom

spon

Hello all,

I'm loving my MB3 experience on my main HTPC, but am not super happy with the android client running on my Xios DS. The issues are pretty much 100% due to the Xios and am looking to replace it with something else. 

Any recommendations for a cheap stand alone box (with ethernet connection) for secondary rooms? 

Thanks!

Tikuf

Have a look at the android mini pc's they are cheap and work really well (i have an ethernet plug addition to mine and I'm loving it.

Roku would be another option for you.

Tikuf

I have a measy u4a with a custom kitkat rom. Mb works really well on it.

> rom   http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.php?9389-NEW-Finless-ROM-2-0-KitKat-4-4-2-for-AP6210-wifi-BETA&p=127733#post127733

It is built for CX-919, MK908-II, GM282, GK525, iMito QX2, IPPLI Mars I2C  but works well on the measy u4a (i took a punt lol).

Here is a scr

Screenshot_2014-03-01-18-44-29.png

Edited by Tikuf

christoph86

I like my roku 3 in my bedroom and the mediabrowser app works really well. Im also looking at a quad core android mini pc dongle for another tv. Tikuf, do you use an air mouse remote for your u4a?

Edited by christoph86

Tikuf

I use one of these little whohars they work quite well as long as you put an extension on the usb so it is not behind the tv

5317ed0809b6c_mdbM_j5t9SmjjoLHGB4eE_w.jp

they are about 30$ on ebay (they are not very big about 6" x 4" (150mm x 100mm)

Swynol

depends how much you want to spend but the intel NUC can be picked up for fairly cheap

gthrift

depends how much you want to spend but the intel NUC can be picked up for fairly cheap

This.  Plus it depends on how powerful your server is since the roku and android apps will require transcoding for a lot of media types.  

I use an i3 NUC for my main HTPC and it works really well.  I also use a Foxconn barebones kit with a AMD e-350 APU that's similar to a Intel Atom.  With 4gb of ram and a 32gb SSD, it's not the fastest PC but it works very well for our bedroom HTPC with MBC, Live TV through our HDHomeRun Prime, Blu-Rays rips, etc.  I think I put a total of $250 into it, not including the OS.

If you are wanting cheap, those $50 Roku dongles look pretty interesting.  I'm not sure if MB3 has been tested on it yet.

Edited by gthrift

WarrenH

As above Roku - it's exactly how a streamer should work. But go for V3 with ethernet connection as wireless can be very frustrating if anyone else wants to access the internet wirelessly.

Thanks everyone. My current Xios DS is running with the MB3 android app and the transcoding works fine from my main HTPC. My only problem with it is that the Xios itself is just not powerful enough for me. It's not very responsive at all. 

I had thought about the Roku 3, but I do like to go back into XBMC sometimes (I'm a long time XBMC user that has recently converted to MB) so that I can access the add-ons like Icefilms, etc. For that reason, I'll probably go with something other than the Roku. 

I'd like to stay around $150, if possible. 

Tikuf - I have the exact same remote am really hate it with the android app on my Xios DS. I can't tell if the problem is with the Xios or the android app, but all I can do is play and exit. I can't pause, skip ahead, stop, etc. 

Tikuf

Tikuf - I have the exact same remote am really hate it with the android app on my Xios DS. I can't tell if the problem is with the Xios or the android app, but all I can do is play and exit. I can't pause, skip ahead, stop, etc. 

Ya I have been nagging lol. But i just click the mouse pad center bottom. Hopefully Red will get to transport controls when he has a free minute.